Disney+, long-rumored Disney streaming service, launching in late 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Netflix has already started that trend, and very successfully, which is why legacy networks/studios are now getting into the act. There is no doubt that with Disney entering the pointy end of the trend, it will further accelerate the inevitable.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I can definitely see that. Restored original theatrical versions with newly mixed Atmos track just in time to launch the platform and up the subsciptions.
    Then released on 4K UHD blu-ray 9 months later.

Now or it will never happen.

Encuentro likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hope they have a "Treasures" section that has restored, HD transfers of all the classic Disney shorts grouped into categories (Mickey, Goofy, Donald, etc). Being able to binge-watch a bunch of Goofy "How To _______" shorts would be awesome. :)

supermd, OldSoul, 905 and 3 others like this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I'm hoping to see:

• The DCOMS
    • Wonderful World Of Disney movies
    • The old television shows

Motorcity supernaut and bpmd1962 like this.
  5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yeah. As much as I hate it, we’ll be subscribing to this from day one. With a 4-year old who already can’t get enough Disney content on Netflix this is gonna be a no brainer.

I just wish they weren’t such a lousy entity.

dan c

Motorcity supernaut and Vidiot like this.
  6. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Because you referred to "Treasures" you're probably familiar with the boxed sets of classic material issued in the 90s(I think!) There are several 2-disc collections of Donald and Goofy animated shorts including some that would be deemed politically incorrect present day (smoking, drinking, fighting.) They actually did a very nice job with these that include bonus features and commentary from Leonard Maltin. The sets were limited and didn't remain in production for long. This is one time where I got it right by buying these as soon as they came out. Unfortunately I let a few pass me by because I wasn't all that interested in the content (Zorro for instance) so I'm a few titles short of having the entire collection.

As a Disneyphile I see comments like yours often but I'm not sure what real world demand is for this type of thing(the very old animated shorts and TV episodes.) Of course as on-demand selections, what could it hurt? If it brings subscribers to the service it will probably happen.

7. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Yeah that seems likely, I would say a push into 4K streaming as well. Don’t forget that Disney has pulled the plug on all 4K HDR rentals. Beyond their iTunes spat on prices, where you can’t even buy Disney films in 4K, there is no options to rent 4K HDR Disney content anywhere. My guess is this is part of the Disney + Strategy, if you want the 4K, sign up for it, possibly at a higher price tier like Netflix.

forthlin likes this.
  8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I just have four questions.

• When to bend over?
    • How far to bend over?
    • When we bend, do we spread?
    • Who's got the Crisco?

Gary7704 and ElevatorSkyMovie like this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

You and your hobbies...

mBen989, Bhob and bpmd1962 like this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

How about the complete runs of all three version of The Mickey Mouse Club? That would be interesting to contrast and compare them all.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Netflix is just another licensing company. "Success" is relative. Success in pushing out the movie theaters and getting people to go out less and less while looking at inferior quality, whatever floats the boat.

There have been all kinds of licensing companies throughout history and they had far more than what...10% penetration if that? Hell even if it was 50% compare that to even a mediocre studio.

The business model of the future is simple. Push out the theaters, then push out the physical buyers, to have online only.

Guess what, it ain't going to happen, because to possess is natural, and to demand accountability for a save state will never ever go out of style.

So keep it up Disney/Netflix whoever. All you will do is create a flourishing underground like the alcohol bootleggers and in the end, the company that does it better will put the end to this idea that content can only be seen for a fleeting moment and only when Disney/Netflix decides. YEAH RIGHT.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can think of several corporations that make great products, but are lousy in terms of caring for their customers. Apple is high on that list. And so are most of the movie studios and networks. No soul, no heart, a lack of interest for anything but profits.

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Are we talking no more networks, just content owners (i.e. studios) pushing content directly to consumers?

Something like Mad Max meets Fahrenheit 451 meets The Matrix? :p

genesim likes this.
  14. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I like that a lot.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, this would be a great treatment for late-night insomnia. :)

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, something like that. As more and more players enter the on-demand streaming space, each wanting a piece of the Netflix action, the marketplace will become too fragmented to be sustainable. People will not want to subscribe to ten and more streaming services to get the content they want, so they'll be selective. Over time, this will mean that the less popular services will die out and they'll concentrate purely on being production houses that can sell their wares to the existing popular streamers. This consolidation will continue until a sustainable streaming ecosystem has formed.

I'm not saying this will happen in the short term, new players still need to test the waters and compete, but I do see things going that way in the mid to long-term.

Vidiot and zombiemodernist like this.
  17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ive got it, its not bad, typical Disney schmaltz with the animation mixed in, zipadeedoodah!

18. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

But you'll get the key to the Vault with the Platinum and Diamond subscriptions...

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

In particular, I think HBO and Showtime will be scared spitless, because they don't have nearly the resources of Netflix, Amazon, Apple, or Disney. I would be very surprised to see HBO still around in 5-6 years, particularly if the studios decide to hang on to their own content exclusively.

It's not impossible that one of the majors could actually buy HBO or Showtime outright and just make them another option on the streaming menu. A lot of options are in play at the moment... and I think the landscape is about to change.

forthlin, Dan C, Deesky and 1 other person like this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You really bring the dark side to the term, "squash and stretch"...

mBen989 likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

One imagines the drain on bandwidth of the innernetz...and the new relaxing of the "open internet" rules, making it a more strategic temptation than ever, for ISP's to make it hard to get continuous access to competing media giants' net services...

...golly - who could have seen that coming...:wave:

22. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The SOTS music is actually very strong.

23. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I enjoyed "Wonderful World of Disney" on Sunday nights as a kid. I'd like to revisit those.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm still surprised there are all those Premium Movie Channels (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, The Movie Channel). I get that those had a place in the 80's and 90's, but why would I subscribe to any of them today?

25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

hbo/showtime still has some of the best series going....I think that's the main draw for me. the other streaming sites have a lot more but.....its wildly erratic in terms of quality

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.