Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Maybe yes, re-adding the studio footage. Just no CGI stuff, please.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Quad mix or don't bother!

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd prefer that it would be Andy Jackson doing the Animals 5.1 mix. But as mentioned earlier it looks like it'll be done by James Guthrie.

JonUrban likes this.
  4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I wish this was being done on blu-ray and that they would rerelease the out of print BDs of DOTM and WYWH.

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

NunoBento likes this.
  6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

That has nothing to do with release schedules.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You are consistent Bill ! :laugh:

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Guilty as charged :winkgrin:!

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I knew I had read it before, so a quick thread search, and voila ! Weird what I remember sometimes.

fredblue and Bill Mac like this.
  10. rontoon

Guthrie as charged. :laughup:

11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

They dont have any. Im not being obtuse here I promise, but Pink Floyd as an organization as it stands at this very moment is the pinnacle of disorganization. What happens? Several things supposedly in the can but they are coming out...when?

NunoBento and RockAddict like this.
  12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

It is at the limit of my thread memory! :D

RockAddict and Instant Dharma like this.
  13. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

This. I'd love to see Pompeii with this mix as I heard the 5.1 wasn't very good. I also don't like the idea of cropping the original 4:3 ratio and stretching into widescreen. Since there is no quad release, I have no idea where to procure it, my go to is the original cut on the dvd in stereo, and I'm a surround enthusiast. Its a shame really.

As for Animals, I own the 5.1 mixes for DSOTM and WYWH as stand alone SACD releases. I also own the Immersion sets for both, and would happily get one eventually if it is released for Animals. Why not release a standalone SACD for Animals as well, at least for now?

14. My speculation is that Pink Floyd's management likely wanted to hold back any potential surround mix for Animals for a potential Immersion set. Once an Animals SACD came out with a surround mix, the demand for a large Animals box set declines. We've seen people swear up and down that Animals wasn't considered for an Immersion box, but that is not how record labels think.

Then throw in all the parties that have to sign off any Pink Floyd-related release, it becomes a huge task to get it done.

klockwerk, marcb and Tristero like this.
  15. rontoon

I'm not sure how you can definitively state that they don't have a release schedule for Animals or anything else for that matter. Pink Floyd is a business and will continue to sell product (old and new) to keep making money. Loasby has to justify his salary and I think he's behind all of the releases. Just because you're unaware of their production and release schedule for the next few years doesn't mean that there isn't a plan. Now, you may not agree with it and you can be impatient and frustrated being kept in the dark about such matters but that's on you, not them.

RangerXT, jdw, FashionBoy and 7 others like this.
  16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I have not yet heard Jackson's Meddle 5.1 mix, sadly. Did he do the new surround on the Pompeii tracks on the Early Years set? I was not so impressed with the new stereo mix of Obscured By Clouds. . .

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Absolutely. The bands with the more moderate sized fanbases tend to be a lot more nimble when it comes to these kinds of archival releases, but with the really big bands, it's like trying to maneuver an oil tanker!

klockwerk and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Im not impatient nor am I frustrated. It would just be nice to know that the organazation has some checks and balances and isnt just sitting on the finished material. Its just apparent to me at least, thats whats going on.

19. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The Meddle 5.1 is excellent. Yes he did Pompeii but I prefer the unreleased quad mix. Have you tried EQing the OBC remix? Yes AJ did the remix but I don't think there was anything wrong with the original mix so I usually go that route or tone down the remix high end with a digital eq plug-in.

20. rontoon

Okay, you're not impatient or frustrated. You're just wrong.

RangerXT, jdw, Jerry Horne and 4 others like this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I dont care if Im worng or not just don't want to feel left in the...dark. Ill just keep my mouth shut and hang on in quiet desperation until someone can tell me I shouldn’t.

22. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I love Jacksons 5.1 work with the Floyd but not so much Guthrie on DSOTM but WYWH is great and superior to the quad IMO.I just hope he gets creative and has fun with the mix,not just band in the front and a pig oink in the rears.

23. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

"According to a new AnalogPlanet video from the Making Vinyl conference, an SACD of Pink Floyd's Animals will be coming from Analogue Productions along with WYWH and DSOTM."

- SoundDoctor

24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Cheers mate

25. I said the likely source for any additional re-mixes, hi-res releases would be through Analouge Productions, and of course all the "know it alls" stuck their noses up and proclaimed it would only be Dark Side and Wish You Were Here.

It makes sense that any series like this would be handled through a company such as Analouge Productions, and I applaud the Floyd management for going that route.