My conclusion is Led Zeppelin Presence my #1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Sheagren, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Certainly their best studio LP between PG and ITTOD, cause even if one feels the overdubs make TSRTS count as a studio LP they just dont sound as good with only one guitar part.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Yes, I know who they are. Great British metal band that have some killer album cover art. "Unleash the Beast" is what I am most familiar with.

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

This.

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Presence has always been my favourite Zeppelin album. Long live the Guitar Army!:cheers:

5. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

It's hard for me to rank Led Zeppelin's first 7 LP's, although Houses of the Holy is my favorite.

Led Zeppelin Presence was released when I was in 8th grade or first year of high school. I remember it as a summer album. Epic guitar solo on Achilles last stand. Tea for One is great. I remember skateboarding to Nobody's Fault by Mine.

pablo fanques and Chrome_Head like this.
  6. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I love Presence.

It's the Led Zeppelin engine at full-throttle. They sound serious, desperate and anxious with a groove that doesn't quit. They sound like a cornered tiger fighting for it's life. At the conclusion we get the numbing cool down of Tea For One that finally releases the albums tension.

It's a perfect, direct and complete expression of a band in crisis.

7. El Rich-o

El Rich-o Forum Resident

The fact that Plant's heart wasn't in it is what makes it such a good record, none of his usual over-the-top shenanigans.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  8. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

YES!

9. ohnothimagen

"It's hard to wiggle when yer singing in a wheelchair!" - Robert Plant

10. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Presence has been spun in this house almost as much as I and II. Just pick any number of the good things mentioned in this thread about it and you'll know why, otherwise just throw it on and rock out!

11. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Always loved this one. A very different Led Zeppelin album, but whoa, Achilles Last Stand:

What a blast! As good as anything in the Zeppelin canon.

12. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Yes, yes, and yes.

Jonny W likes this.
  13. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Hots On for Nowhere says hello.

14. ohnothimagen

As does "For Your Life":wave:

15. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Whereas I think it benefits from the sustained, senses-shattering aesthetic. Even light and swinging track like "Hots on For Nowhere" has that aural crunch to it that I love. All their albums have a unique quality, and this one most definitely has to be that it is, as you say, monochromatic. With blunt force. Not to everyone's taste, but I can dig why people dig it so much. Because I do! :)

Jonny W likes this.
  16. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I'm John McEnroe in 1981 and you're the judge who called his serve "out" or whatever they did back then.

17. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

This. That aural crunch is one of the best things about the band's playing, and Page's production. Not that I don't enjoy the folky side of the band, but if I'm in the mood for something electric and metallic, on goes Presence. Chilled out mood - second side of III.

PS, Royal Orleans is a great track and I don't care who disagrees!!

18. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Presence is the only studio LP between PG and ITTOD.

The original The Song Remains The Same was all taken from the Garden shows. Some bits were flown in to some songs from others, but those aren't overdubs.

TSRTS is like Yessongs than Seconds Out, which is largely a studio album.

luckyno13 likes this.
  19. Scott Sheagren

I WANT ALL THE LED ZEPPELIN ALBUMS IN STEREO IN BLU RAY AUDIO!NO REASON THEY CANNOT DO IT AND FIT ALL THE ALBUMS ON IT IN 24 BIT AND SHOULDNT BE OVER 80 BUCKS!

20. Scott Sheagren

Hell yeah every song i love!all great rockers till Tea for one which is an amazing track to chill you down.

Jonny W and Acoustic Warrior like this.
  21. Llyrren

Llyrren Well-Known Member

I don't understand a criticsm of Presence. This is the great album with most soulful and emotional songs.

22. Scott Sheagren

me either!its a ******* great album!every song i think is awesome.people say tea for one or hots for nowhere are weak songs i can pick way worse ones from the other classic albums.i think those songs are simple great rock tunes.the whole album rocks from start to finish and i love the sound of the album also.When i talk about Led Zeppelin i always mention the first 7 albums.not like most poeple who say 6.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Jonny W and Acoustic Warrior like this.
  23. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Sounds like you could use a cigarette. :D

24. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I'm not sure how Presence could be considered one of the best albums they ever made because I don't think even the band would say that. If they were able to trim the fat from Physical Graffiti, I'd MAYBE take that (and yes there are definitely songs on there that DO NOT belong). Seriously, tho...Zep to me is a blues-rock band at its core. If you need something representative of what they can do, it's II. They really started to develop into their own thing on IV and PG was a mix of it all with very good results.

Presence has 7 songs with a 10+ minute opener. Snooze. And out of the 7, I think 4 are stand out tracks and the other 3 are terrible.

I give this album a solid C+.

25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Underrated album.

That's all I got ...

Chrome_Head likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.