My conclusion is Led Zeppelin Presence my #1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Sheagren, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Is that the "la la la la la la" song? :hurl:

2. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

When I was coming of age, starting to notice the big guns of rock, Presence was new and on the shelves. I get sentimental about it and the live album as they were the first things I owned by the band.

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  3. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

HELL YEAH!add for your life and candy store rock,royal orleans you have the greatest Zepp album!

Snow2 likes this.
  4. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

Way better then you shook me or hats off to Roy harper:wiggle:

Man at C&A and California Couple like this.
  5. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Presence is always my go to album when I want to hear some Led Zeppelin.
    Still is where I start with them.
    Such an intriguing, strange and raw sounding Zeppelin album. I love it.

6. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I love Presence. But I also like ITTOD...I don't think the material is quite as strong as the earlier records, but I still find these records very *interesting*, sometimes even more so.

7. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

I bought this album just for the track "Nobody's Fault But Mine" however over a period of time all the other songs grew on me.

8. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

The only constructive criticism I have of this excellent record is I miss the fact it doesn't have at least one acoustic song of the nature of a:

That's the Way, Tangerine, Over the Hills and Faraway etc

Always thought the band were very strong at varying pace and temp and the album would have benefitted from one (IMHO)

Still bloody great album of course!

9. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Presence is a special album for me because it was the "new" album that came out when I was first becoming a fan.
    I can remember Scott Muni previewing tracks from it on WNEW 102.7 FM radio here in New York.
    Pretty sure NFBM was the first track I heard. Loved the intro, the stop/start rhythm section syncopation, Robert's harmonica solo - the whole thing.
    Achilles was another early fave. The rest grew on me over time. Today I think it's all great and perfectly captures a tense moment in time for the band.
    Lyrically, it's Robert's finest hour, too. Achilles is a travelogue, FYL a blistering commentary on the LA scene, Royal Orleans a funny story, HOFN a snapshot of how Robert felt about the band at the time, and TFO a classic lament about being away from the one you love (or the sister of the one you truly love?).
    All that said, I don't think it ranks up near the top of their studio albums. Maybe for audiophiles, absolutely - it sounds great. Have rock drums ever been recorded better?
    Personally, I put IV at the tippy top followed by PG and LZ I. Zep IV gets the nod from me because it sounds like eight different bands recording eight different genres in eight different studios with equal aplomb. And now that I've used "aplomb" in a sentence, I'll head over to the "pretentious" thread.
    Love,
    Billy

pablo fanques and Purplerocks like this.
  10. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Yes, it's my favorite, too.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  11. I don't listen to any Zeppelin but about once every couple years or so, and FWIW, Presence is probably my favorite Zep album. If only because it's the one that doesn't have anything that's been played to death on the radio (even though I haven't listen to radio that played Led Zeppelin for over 20 years).

Any more, I spin Robert Plant's first four (4) solo albums WAY more than I do any Zeppelin. Maybe once every 18 months, I'll spin all my Plant solo albums (those first 4, plus the one 2CD comp of his I have).

Zeppelin, hardly ever -- but when I do, Presence is my go-to album. Not sure what that says about them, or me -- but there it is.

12. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Damn fine album.

13. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Presence bores me. The only thing I like about this album is the name. The cover is okay, in that weird kind of sci-fi 1950's way.

But the songs sound like they are all missing something. They seem unfinished. I cannot put my finger on it. The lead guitar work does not sizzle or there are no effects or something. The sound has no flair for me, it is all mid range, or something.

The first 30 seconds and last 30 seconds of Stand are the best parts of the album to me. The song just never seems to peak. I like For No One a little bit, though it never seems to peak either. Maybe that is it, there are no peaks on this album, it all just kinds of rolls along.

Royal and Candy I do not even remember. If it wasn't for you guys talking about the la la's I would not even remember Hots. I think Hots sounds like the cover, sort of fifties but real heavy. Fault I hate and Tea sounds like a rehash of Since I've Been Loving You, which is not one of my favs.

So there you have it. Nothing as bad as All Of My Love or Hot Dog, but still their worst album to me.

I still do not own this album, but when I read about it I want to hear it again. So I go to Youtube and listen but do not get into it enough to buy it.

Suppose it is time to listen to it again.

14. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Could never get into it; even Archilles Last Stand is just a repetitive riff that goes nowhere

California Couple likes this.
  15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Same here- like I said, Presence has always been my favourite Zeppelin album, I'd like it just as much if it was an album made by Joe and the Shmoes. I am just about completely burned out on all things Zep these days, but I can always make time for Presence. Many, many memories (good and bad) in my life intertwined with that album...talk about "soundtracks to yer life".

16. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Interesting take. Ironically, that's how I feel about their Houses Of The Holy album.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  17. California Couple

Maybe what I do not like is that Presence is missing the light/heavy dichotomy of ‘Houses of the Holy’.

18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I agree, Presence and Physical Graffiti are peak Zeppelin.

19. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Yeah, same here. But that's coming from a guy whose favorite Zep album is "In Through The Out Door", so take that however you will :)

Even though I like quite a bit of both, I think that Presence and PG are albums from a band that was getting a bit stale. ITTOD in comparison is fresh and a new direction. I really wish Bonzo had been able to keep himself together. I would've loved to see where Zep went from ITTOD.

20. California Couple

Even though Hot Dog is the worst song, I still think Out Door is slightly better because of the first three songs, all being better to me than anything on Presence.

Hearing Hots again, I actually liked it, though, like the rest of the album, it still sounds like a demo version. Like the lead solo was not finished.

After listening to both albums today, my rankings would be like this:

1. In The Evening
    2. South Bound Suarez
    3. Fool In The Rain
    4. Hots On For Nowhere
    5. Achilles Last Stand
    6. Carouselambra
    7. For Your Life
    8. Candy Store Rock
    9. Royal Orleans
    10. Nobody’s Fault But Mine
    11. I’m Gonna Crawl
    12. Tea For One
    13. All Of My Love
    14. Hot Dog

What would your rankings be?

Duke Fame likes this.
  21. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Hmm...I'll go with:

1. In The Evening
    2. All Of My Love
    3. South Bound Suarez
    4. Fool In The Rain
    5. Tea For One
    6. I’m Gonna Crawl
    7. Achilles Last Stand
    8. Carouselambra
    9. For Your Life
    10. Nobody’s Fault But Mine
    11. Hots On For Nowhere
    12. Candy Store Rock
    13. Hot Dog
    14. Royal Orleans
    The first 6 and last 4 are firm. The 4 in the middle I could go either way with.

California Couple likes this.
  22. I think their catalog is uniformly great, but I go... in no particular order within the levels

Level I:
    IV
    Houses Of The Holy
    Physical Graffiti

Level II:
    II
    III

Level III:
    I
    Presence
    In Through The Out Door

Level IV:
    Coda

23. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

The cover makes me nauseous!

24. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Oh, well... if we're now ranking the songs from the Presence and Out House Door albums together in one list from best to worst here's my list:

Pr -- Achilles Last Stand
    In -- Carouselambra
    In -- In The Evening
    Pr -- Nobody's Fault But Mine
    Pr -- Royal Orleans
    Pr -- Candy Store Rock
    Pr -- For Your Life
    Pr -- Tea For One
    Pr -- Hots On For Nowhere

crickets

crickets

crickets

In -- I'm Gonna Crawl
    In -- Fool In The Rain
    In -- South Bound Suarez
    In -- All My Love
    In -- Hot Dog

25. jrnyfn

jrnyfn Forum Resident

Love this album. Most of it is unlike any other in the canon. Also I like that it doesn't have anything acoustic on it (not because I don't enjoy the acoustic offerings).
    For me it's a mood album. When I'm in a particular Zeppelin mood this is the album I put on the turntable.

ohnothimagen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.