Amazon shipping music box sets without a cardboard box!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by strat95, Nov 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strat95

strat95 Senior Member Thread Starter

I have ordered music from Amazon.co.uk recently and they sent a box set to me in a plastic mailer bag! Of course it was damaged so I used the chat box to issue a complaint and they assured me that it should have shipped in a box.

They asked me to ship it back and they sent a replacement.

It shipped exactly the same as the first, in a plastic mailer bag. It was also damaged.

I just received the Hendrix Deluxe Electric Ladyland from Amazon.ca in an manila bubble envelope. Once again, no cardboard box, and it was damaged.

This never used to be the case but now it seems to be the norm. Yet when I spoke to customer service today, they said again these items are to be shipped in boxes and it must have been a mistake. This is going back and they said a complaint has been noted and proper care will be taken with the replacement. It will be interesting to see if they do take proper care.

What is the experience from other members here lately when ordering from Amazon sites across the world? Are your nice box sets and other music orders being sent in proper protective packaging or does Amazon appear to be cutting corners (likely for profit) and taking a chance that customers will not go through the trouble to return the improperly packaged and damaged items?

Curious to know.

2. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

One does not question our corporate overlords and their gracious packaging decisions.

fje99, tspit74, Klen7000 and 8 others like this.
  3. Mine arrived pristine in a cardboard box, with air pillows. :love:

4. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I ordered the 9-LP Johnny Cash Unearthed Box Set via amazon.ca and it arrived with NO outer packaging. Simply stickers pasted on the shrink wrap. The address sticker was on the box set hype sticker that thankfully I was able to peel off without damage to the sticker. First time ordering something like that through amazon. Thought it was the norm.

I'm waiting for the 4-LP Beatles White album from amazon.ca. We'll see what kind of packaging I get with that.

5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Point 1. We in AU cannot order from around the world because Amazon AU have Geo blocked us.

Point 2. Maximizing profit on every transaction means you get less for your money.

Maybe consider shopping elsewhere.

All Down The Line likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

Amazon shipped me the new Dylan box ($120) in just a padded mailer - twice. A few days later, they sent me the Love Forever Changes box ($60) double boxed!

They really don't make any sense.

7. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

My Electric Ladyland 50th CD set arrived in a bag from amazon.com yesterday. Needless to say but all four corners are nice and round instead of pointy.

dosjam likes this.
  8. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Didn't someone make a post here last year about receiving a box set that just had the mailing label stuck to the outside?

lightbulb likes this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

10. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

The Beatles shipped in a snug manufacturer's box, which was placed in an Amazon box with airbag packing.

Electric Ladyland and More Blood More Tracks were shipped in large bubble envelopes.

Minimal damage (slightly bent corner) to Hendrix only, fortunately.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  11. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

4 posts above yours

Ere and Maurice like this.
  12. I think it's all about how it was shipped from the manufacturer for example my Village Green set came in a box just like The Beatles did.

13. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I can't unlock the mysteries of the post office. But I received CDs from RER, and Roy Harper in Ireland in a brown envelope with no damage. But I get stuff from the states in cardboard and they're broken???

Osato likes this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Amazon seems to have a knack of packaging things free-flowingly loose in their boxes. For any items that have a bit of weight to them, this can be disastrous. I ordered the Yes, Steven-Wilson mixed LP box set and they had it completely unsecured inside the mailing box. I received it with crimped corners, gave them a call and sent it right back requesting a replacement with at least *some* internal "stuffing" to prevent the thing from slamming around. The replacement came with a bubble tube thrown into the box...not great, but it did prevent the "slamming". So in other words, long story short and any way you look at it...unless you're ordering from a company that prides itself in the packing of music goods (as SoundStage Direct did, may they rest in peace), you're taking a chance.

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

For me, the slightest bit of damage, and back it goes. A big part of the fun with these re-issues is the actual packaging which i akin to artwork. Anything sealed that's in less than perfect condition deserves to be sent back for a replacement, IM very strong O.

16. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

Not only box sets can arrive without packaging:

[​IMG]

17. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I love CDJapan. They pack the hell out of their orders. Never any damage.

John Buchanan, formu_la and eelkiller like this.
  18. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I fully understand. But I ain't pressing my luck. As sure as God made little green apples, if I return this set, I'll end up with 1 or 2 defective discs in the replacement set.

(That's right -- they've beaten me down, the bastards...)

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

:realmad:

My Bobbie Gentry box arrived with a dinged corner, in a cardboard box, UGH!

20. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I use to get stuff in plastic bags and bubble mailer from Amazon. Even a record with only a label slappes on. Amazingly nothing was ever damaged.

This year amazon had been really good and packing the hell out of my music orders.

21. strat95

strat95 Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. All friends I have spoken to have not had packaging issues. Sorry to hear so many of you guys have had issues and I feel your pain.

Sad to see this is more common than should be and there is no reason to accept it IMO.

Just watched a video on youtube of a Dylan Complete Album Collection unboxing and before the guy even mentions it you can see the box is damaged. He later says it shipped a little banged up and it was a bit torn but a bit of tape and it's all good. Different folks have different acceptance levels to damaged goods I guess.

Some of the examples where no packaging was used is unbelievable. Krzych did you keep that record or send it back?

Is this a result of Amazon product pickers being worked too hard and they just select packaging that allows them to package the order as quickly as possible to meet their quota?

22. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes, I think to some Amazon pickers/boxers,
    a CD Box or Vinyl Box, is no different than a Kleenex Box.

Just another order to fulfill ASAP.

Jimmy B. and E.Baba like this.
  23. I, for one, welcome our new Amazon overlords. May Bezos have mercy on us all.

24. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

25. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Thankfully I found alternative sellers to Amazon UK for both the Beatles White deluxe and the Electric Ladyland deluxe with competitive prices. Each of my sets came in cardboard boxes with some paper stuffing inside so no dings. I am getting the Kate Bush sets from one of these sellers so I am optimistic all will remain well. I have had this discussion with friends ad nauseam. If you buy everything from Amazon you will end up putting independents out of business and then there will be no competition ( which is of course what Amazon want) and then any semblance of service with or without Prime will fly out of the window. Don't even start me on their incursion into tv and movie services.

PhantomStranger and eelkiller like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.