Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. h.egbert

h.egbert Forum Resident

That was not too serious, just a thought.

2. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Interesting. Spooky organ TP sped up. I would think it was done prior to bootlegging

3. Tom Thumbs Booze

Tom Thumbs Booze Forum Resident

''And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a fugal horn''

4. voles

voles Forum Lurker

The track listing is nearly right I believe but Track 4 Remake not Track 6 of Idiot Wind is on the test pressing. The latter was on BS 1-3

5. voles

voles Forum Lurker

no

RoyalPineapple likes this.
  6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Too suggestive!

RoyalPineapple likes this.
  7. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Nothing fugal on this set is there? I want all those tracks in their old mixes plus the Deluxe version. I wish I had opted for the Hi-Rez download rather than the physical version though.

8. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Which track are you referring to?

9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Lol.
    None.
    One poster said our avatars should all be fruit!

10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The conversation in this thread has turned into box-set crapping.
    The same complaints made over and over and over again until this thread has ceased to be about appreciation and enjoyment.
    Don't surprised if you never get another box-set in the Bootleg Series.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    fatherofnight and Wugged like this.
  11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The Dylan-requested speed up was done after the Minnesota tracks were recorded, so yes, any speed variation on the bootleg of the test pressing occurred further down the chain.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  12. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

OK, I just got back from the lab with this new result:
    "Idiot Wind (spooky organ)" as it plays on the "New York Sessions" copy of the Test Pressing compared to the raw track on "More Blood" runs at .715%
    (I must have been comparing it to the wrong track on “More Blood”)
    A quick check shows that "Tangled Up In Blue" on "New York Sessions" also runs at that speed, maybe all the others, too? It could just be that when they 'mastered' the bootleg their turntable wasn't calibrated right.

JohnKale and RayS like this.
  13. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Early version of Idiot Wind:

"Images and recorded facts ...... "

Fascinating!

matt79rome89 likes this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hmm, well that would be a switch. I didnt find the lp bright. Pretty naked sounding as someone mentioned earlier. And I have a fairly "fast/leans towards the upper frequencies" system: Rega TT/Dynavector cart/Yamaha receiver.

15. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Too true.....
    [​IMG]

Muddy and voles like this.
  16. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Getting back to "melisma" ... the best example of melisma in Bob's work is his sublime performance of "Wild Mountain Thyme" at his famous Isle of Wight show. This is a gorgeous performance, but very reminiscent of older folk techniques. Bob may have picked up the melisma technique from Joan Baez and the old folkies back in the day -- so "melisma" is something from Bob's past....
    And so... I find that fact that he introduced a bit of melisma here in Tangled Up in Blue to be exceedingly wonderful!

17. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

The single clocks in at 5:31, so it's sped up by about another nine seconds. I think this translates to an additional 3%, or thereabouts. Tangled up in speed...

JohnKale likes this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What I suggest to myself is to be patient and wait until the excitement/newness wears off concerning these super duper deluxe packages and they will at some point drop off in price.

Ive waited on the last 3 or 4 BS sets and have eventually found them much cheaper on the used market. Only exception being the Cutting Edge 18cd set in which I couldnt justify paying 7 bills for at the time (or ever for me). Ive since aquired the tracks and have enjoyed them, but dont regret not buying the giant blue box set. Ill get the 6 cd set perhaps at some point when I find it cheaper. And I will.

Some cant wait. Hard for me also. But OOP doesnt mean unatainable. This Bob Dylan bootleg series stuff still has an even more limited fan base than say The Beatles White Album Remix. Heck I still havent picked up the Whitmark Demo set. Ill pick it up on the cheap sometime.

Gotta let the hype wave die down in ya and then come back to these things sensibly. Hard chore I realize. Easier for me now because Ive heard so many boots and that youthful excitement of exploring this stuff for the first time just isnt there as much.

How these fellows still pick each take apart finding reasons for splices and each nuance of how a take was done or not done is just not that appealing to me after having done that for 15-20 yrs when all we had was Crystal Cat, Midnight Beat, Vigitone and the like. It was fun then, now I have to be more selective with my time. Dont care to spend a good portion of my time in the next 5 yrs pouring over theories as to why one cut went one way and another that way. I simply enjoy the takes from time to time as what they are. To me, its best to let the mystery be.

Plus Im more a live Dylan guy now than a studio outtake guy. Bring on that "Live Dylan: The Double-Aught Years" bootleg series and youll hear me ramble on for days :D

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The powers that be I doubt care if we all took one collective poop and whined until next year as long as we buy the thing.

If it sells well, theyll be more. Besides ticket sales, royalites etc, Id assume that these rummaging through the vaults before we all die off is the next money maker on the list. Good gosh how much did that 18cd set make these guys? Nice little take home check there.

They know we will complain no matter what they do. Of course, it fall some short. But people that complain are still be and large buying it.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I always hear "futile" horn in my mind

BlindWillieMcZim likes this.
  21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

It’s always been “feudal” for me.

(“Futile” is pronounced “FEW-tile” in Britspeak, so that was never a possibility.) :)

voles and HominyRhodes like this.
  22. Percy Song

In the notebook (page 46 of "Stories In The Press") it is written surprisingly clearly as:-

"...a Futile HORN"

Dflow, DeeThomaz and RayS like this.
  23. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

I present the Flugel Horn:
    [​IMG]
    "a brass instrument that is usually pitched in B♭ but occasionally found in C. It resembles a trumpet, and the tube has the same length but a wider, conical bore. A type of valved bugle, the flugelhorn was developed in Germany from a traditional English valveless bugle"

DeeThomaz likes this.
  24. Percy Song

... and Bob presents the Futile Horn... :)

[​IMG]

But was it a hollow futile horn, I wonder?

#

enro99, Dflow, HominyRhodes and 2 others like this.
  25. vulcangascompany

vulcangascompany Forum Resident

Since listening to the 6CDs i noticed something that i've never noted before..theres lots of references to prostitution on this recording! Some he took off "topless place" but the album seems to have lots of references, hope this theory hasn't been done to death 2oo pages earlier....