Greatest Hit's Albums That Are Missing Significant Hits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Nov 13, 2018.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

2. dmiller458

I didn't think that Border Song belonged on Elton's GH because it wasn't a big hit. Aretha's version was bigger than his original.

But Bennie went number one. What more needs to be understood?

3. Bigrynz

Bigrynz Forum Resident

The most glaring to me was always no Born On The Bayou on Chronicle - even though it did come out on Vol. II

4. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Well I just think "The Bitch Is Back", "Levon" and "Tiny Dancer" are better songs than "Benny..." -- regardless of chart position. I don't think anyone would have been left scratching their heads had "Benny..." not been on G.H I.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

6. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

You have to buy vol.2 (Classic Queen) it's essential IMO. One of my favorite Queen comps.

7. That's why Greatest Hits is almost always a flawed concept. I'll wager that both Journey fans and even very casual Journey listeners will easily vote that Stone In Love and Feeling That Way are among their best songs. Especially Stone In Love, which is a rock classic.

8. dmiller458

A Greatest Hits is not the same as a Best Of.

And no it isn't.

9. dmiller458

It wasn't a Best Of, it was a Greatest Hits. Benny went number one. That makes it one of his greatest hits.

10. I know, and that's why they su&%.

Respectfully disagree. It's a killer tune, and one I've seen called at a lot of jams in the 80s and 90s so it clearly left a mark with players and was in the lexicon of "really cool" rock songs. One of Journey's absolute best.

gitters and ian christopher like this.
  11. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Every Jackson Browne compilation skips “That Girl Could Sing”

12. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

13. Mike Reynolds

I think "Stone In Love" and "Lay It Down" are the two best rocking songs on the Escape album. However... I think their three most popular radio hits from the album were "Don't Stop Believing", "Who's Crying Now" and "Open Arms" so I can see any of those songs used on a greatest hits cd over "Stone In Love" (for as great as the song is). Unless it's two-cd "best of" set we're talking about. Then there's no excuse leaving the track on the bench.

gitters, OptimisticGoat and sbsugar like this.
  14. I can get with that. The problem with a Journey Greatest Hits is that they seemingly HAVE to include relatively weak tunes like Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', Open Arms (of course), Wheel In the Sky, and Only the Young. These crowd out much better songs. Opinion, of course.

gitters and Mike Reynolds like this.
  15. Mike Reynolds

I love that song. I can't imagine what the record company's reason might be for that omission. And it's a glaring one, too, imo.

Elton likes this.
  16. dmiller458

No one will ever agree on which songs are anyone's best. Biggest hits are not a matter of opinion.

You really should preface a statement like that with IMO. Because IMO Journey's music is in the lexicon of lowest common denominator corporate arena rock.

17. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

If the CD version hadn't used the full length (11:06) version of 'Grapevine' and had kept the original CHRONICLE vinyl (3:52) version of 'Grapevine', they could have added 'Born On The Bayou' to the CD.
    Milked out a CHRONICLE Vol. 2 instead.

18. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Bruce Springsteen's original Greatest Hits disc is missing Prove It All Night, Fade Away, Cover Me, I'm on Fire, I'm Goin' Down, his cover of Edwin Starr's War, Tunnel of Love and One Step Up, all of which were top 40 singles in the US, in order to make room for Thunder Road (one of his best tracks for sure but one that was never released as a single and, thus, was never a"hit"), three outtakes (two of them fully re-recorded in 1995) and a new song.

19. Ahh, someone drank the rock "journalist" kool-aid. I'll say it again, Stone In Love is one of THE early 80s rock classics. It goes without saying that it's an opinion, right? Does that really need to be spelled out?

* rock journalists - people who don't play, can't play, and push their resentments over not being able to do so into an over-intellectualized compartmentalization of the art form.

20. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Elton has said that's why he included it. He felt Aretha gave him his first recognition in the US and since she made it a hit he wanted it on the album.

905 and Suncola like this.
  21. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

A more serous Bowie answer is that "Heroes" did not appear on Changestwobowie.

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Jeff Beck's box set lacks "Blue Wind" and "Rice Pudding".

23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The Forester Sisters "Greatest Hits" is missing the very important hit single, 'Mama's Never Seen Those Eyes.' Why this song wasn't included is beyond my comprehension, because it appeared on their first album in 1985 and became a single in 1986.

24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Considering CHANGESTWOBOWIE has songs like Aladdin Sane on it, it wasn’t a greatest hits release.

25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Missing from Queen’s Platinum Collection (GH 1, 2 & 3):

Keep Yourself Alive
    Tie Your Mother Down
    Spread Your Wings
    Love Of My Life (Live Killers)
    Body Language
    Back Chat
    Calling All Girls
    Pain Is So Close To Pleasure
    Scandal