Greatest Hit's Albums That Are Missing Significant Hits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Nov 13, 2018.

1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Well is Changesonebowie not a greatest hits because it had Ziggy Stardust on? The sticker would suggest otherwise!
    [​IMG]
    In my view it was 1984 that was the odd choice and should have been replaced by "Heroes"

2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Just because the first one is doesn’t make the second one.
    3/10 were not singles. Anywhere.

3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I’m confused! Aladdin sane wasn’t, oh! You pretty things wasn’t for bowie but WAS a hit and all the others were singles weren’t they?

4. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

You already mentioned 1984. That wasn’t a single. OYPT wasn’t a hit song for Bowie so that’s 3/10. CHANGESTWOBOWIE was just a very weird compilation. On top of that Wild Is The Wind wasn’t a Single when STS was released. It was just a marketing tool for CHANGESTWOBOWIE.

5. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Well, I don’t agree! 1984 was a single in the Japan/New Zealand/USA which is why it was also on Fame and Fasion (Bowie’s all time greatest hits). Suffragette City was a single to promote changesone so the same as wild is the wind, Ziggy wasn’t a single so the only debatable difference is Oh, You Pretty Things which wasn’t a single for bowie but was a hit. I would argue that All The Young Dudes bowie version is also eligible for a bowie hits album (and that’s not as good as the original).

In my book changestwo is as much or very close to a greatest hits as changesone! It appears you disagree but hey, if we were all the same life would be boring!

Of course I say this when it really should have included “heroes”... back on topic

6. tages

tages Senior Member

I’m still baffled that a collection of Beatles #1 hits is missing their very first, and therefore most significant, one.

Binni and Keith V like this.
  7. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

It was the b-side of "Candle in the wind" in the UK, sides were reversed for the USA.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Just because a sales manager slaps a sticker onto something doesn’t mean you’re actually gonna get that. Besides the fact that C1B had singles on it, it’s an awesome sampler that, given it’s timespan, makes perfect sense.

9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

"Dirty Work" and "Deacon Blues" are two very glaring omissions from Steely Dan's 1978 Greatest Hits compilation. At least "Deacon Blues" appeared on the follow-up, Gold.

Dunno if Pure McCartney would be considered a "greatest hits" album or not, but I think it's a travesty that tracks like "Take It Away" (a fairly successful single, if memory serves) aren't on there but crap like "Bip Bop" made the cut.

ARK, music4life and marc with a c like this.
  10. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Can you imagine going thru the trouble of getting the rights to THAT song, as it's from a different era and label, just for a greatest hits compilation? :D

I wonder how it must have felt like to hear it at the time on the radio in the UK. It obviously didn't sound like any current Bowie and the backing track is very of its time - 1967, not 73.

11. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Would like to add:

Liar

12. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Here's one that will groove you...

There's a "Hallmark" CD (I think) album of "The Best of Ant and Dec", where you get to realise that they had lots of hits back in the day, before they became ubiquitous on TV, presenting, and such-like. Top Ten hits aplenty, a few number ones in there. Clearly, the cheapie label had spent the necessary on obtaining license for each track.

There were only two missing. One was "We're on the ball", the world cup song from much later. Oh, and that one track everyone remembers, something about being ready to rhumbl or something. Clearly, that one cost.. more than likely more than the rest of them put together.

13. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

It was alright, hearing it. It's probably closer to David Bowie's natural sense of humour in a lot of ways, and little bits in there like giving the gnome a cigarette makes it a little more than a daft kiddies' song.

It was fine being a hit in 1973, alongside his other more developed musics. It would have been disastrous if it had been his first hit in 1967.

14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

What a GREAT song this one is...

15. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I'm always surprised they used that pre-existing single from 1967 in 1973 though, with the same two sides. There were more classically Bowie sounding songs in his Decca/Deram catalogue that would have made a nice enough new single (maybe because most of the catalogue had already been rounded up with "The World of David Bowie"?).
    That said, it DID work commercially so it was all good for the label.

Man at C&A and scobb like this.
  16. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

Even In The Quietest Moments.

Could have lived without either It's Raining Again or Give A Little Bit instead on Supertramp's Very Best Of.

drad dog likes this.
  17. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I wasn't - it was an easy punt as all they had to do was re-press it.

I think they tried with other "more representative" things like "The London Boys", but .. it's not exactly hit material, is it?

18. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

It is also missing 'Who's That Girl'-- a U.S. #1 hit!

My selection: The Essential Billy Joel is two discs and still doesn't include 'Big Shot.'

ARK, mbd40, Eric_Generic and 7 others like this.
  19. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I never got this, it SHOULD have been included.I used to hear that song on the radio all the time. For a long time, the only way to get that song was to buy the soundtrack by the same name...

20. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Even at that relatively early point in her career, Madonna already could have produced a two-CD comp. We haven’t even mentioned “Everybody,” “Burning Up,” “Gambler,” “Causing a Commotion,” “Spotlight,” “Oh Father,” “Keep It Together,” “Dear Jessie” and “Hanky Panky.”

21. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I don't need a rock journalist to tell me what my opinions are. I was sick of Journey long before they recorded Stone In Love.

"Dude, the wheel in the sky keeps on turning!"

Mr. Bewlay and marc with a c like this.
  22. True, but Stone in Love reached #13 in the US Mainstreet Rock chart and got tons of radio play so I think it qualifies as a hit. It has been included on subsequent hit packages (Greatest Hits 2).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The one that REALLY annoys me is:

Generation X - Perfect Hits 1975 - 1981

They only had 7 singles so on a CD with a 74 minute run time you would think they would include all 7 singles? It's not called Generation X - A Collection, or even Best Of, it says Hits.

So why then does it not include their second biggest hit, Valley Of The Dolls, and another fine single in Friday's Angels. It actually has b-sides, album tracks and even some unreleased songs which is even more annoying.

marc with a c and scobb like this.
  24. The Cars Greatest Hits is missing Hello Again (#20), but otherwise does a good job of collecting their highest charting singles.

ARK, Eric_Generic, 905 and 4 others like this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, any 1-CD Madonna comp circa 1990 was gonna have to lose some major hits.

Granted, if they'd left off the 2 new songs - which ended up as hits but weren't yet! :) - and packed the CD to the gills, they could've fit in 3-4 more prior hits, but they'd still have omitted some.

The woman already had 22 US top 20 singles before the release of "Immaculate"! :eek: