Michael Jackson's 'Bad': 34 Years Later*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. His duets with Sheen Easton, Gwen Stefani, Appollonia, and many more might say otherwise.

2. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

There he was in the driver seat, That's the difference. And of course lovely ladies.

3. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

Prince liked collaborating with women he found attractive.

I don't know why Michael thought Prince would want to duet with him. In fact, a male duet is uncommon. The result would've been more interesting than the "Bad" that everyone knows. I think of it as a derivative version of "Beat It," with the important don't-be-a-hothead advice removed, and rate it as maybe Michael's worst hit from the album. Also, "The Way You Make Me Feel" - it makes me feel annoyed.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  4. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

There are famous male duets (just remember Frank and Bing on "did you ever", or Paul and Stevie on "Ebony and Ivory") but they are a different thing.

5. mtvgeneration

They seem to have become rare since Hall & Oates stopped being hit-makers, which was shortly after Bad. Except in rap music.

6. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Those were not really duets, Hall took most of the lead vocals.

7. mtvgeneration

Yeah. Tears for Fears maybe was a little closer to true dueting, and that duo fell apart around the same time.

8. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Same with Modern Talking.

On the other hand, in the 90s there were lots of Boy bands of which often only two did lead vocals. There is however a difference between a duet and two guys doing close harmony such as the Everly Brothers.

9. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Talking about guys singing together, would Bad have benefited from four more Jacksons? Personally I don't like most of his solo stuff except for "Off the Wall" but I enjoy the later Jackson's stuff because of the perfect combination of vocals.

10. It would have been very funny if Michael had given Prince the first line of the song . . .

11. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Would have been more fun if he did it as a duet with Marc Almond, George Michael, Freddy Mercury or Elton John

12. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

It's still Bad

13. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

Don't forget "Cheater" from The Ultimate Collection box set. Great tune with an amazing groove in my opinion. There's also "Loving You" (available in it's original version on the deluxe Xscape album). And how could I forget "We Are Here To Change The World" from Disney's Captain EO. It's super '80s but one has to imagine it must have been considered for the follow-up to Thriller. Also for those who don't know this one shows up on the The Ultimate Collection as well.

Then there are songs that are post-Thriller but I don't know if they were intended for what became the Bad album. For instance you've got "Scared of the Moon" which has shown up as a piano demo on The Ultimate Collection. Then you also have "This Is It" (which showed up in a posthumously tweaked version on the This Is It album) and "Love Never Felt So Good" (available in it's original version on the deluxe Xscape) from session(s) with Paul Anka. Also recently released from those sessions was previously unreleased Michael vocals from a song called "It Don't Matter To Me" which Drake incorporated into a song of his own. Hopefully one day we get the entire original MJ version.

But yeah, so there is a decent amount of material already officially released from the post-Thriller era that may or may not have been intended for what became Bad. Unfortunately it seems that Michael's estate has thrown in the towel on releasing more unreleased material. The last thing released with a big chunk of unreleased material was the aforementioned Xscape and because this album wasn't certified triple platinum and likely because the posthumous Michael album (with the three fake MJ tracks....yes, really) so poisoned the well it seems like all the estate wants to do is license songs to commercials and put out BS "new albums" like the Halloween themed Scream which featured no new material besides a nonsense "mash-up" which to me really doesn't qualify as new as I'm pretty sure it included no unreleased Michael Jackson vocals or music.

coffeetime likes this.
  14. On the good side, the tracks on Xscape are quite good. That might be my favorite MJ album since Thriller.

15. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I never believed that 3 fake tracks story started by fans. I don’t even know if I would call them fans. I remember reading Michael Jackson fan sites back in the day and they were just plain scary. These days they would be considered to be part of the ‘dark web’ that is sometimes spoken about. I only hope that some of those twisted and deranged people who contributed to those sites have grown up and moved on from the hate and anger that consumed them.

16. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Never cared for it.

17. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Why would they be considered part of the "dark web?" You mean they were using an encrypted network? That's odd for a fan site, certainly.

Osato likes this.
  18. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I, uh, don't think you know anything about the dark web, and fans who are justifiably angry that the studio was somehow duped (at best) into putting impersonator vocals on a Michael Jackson album are well justified in their anger.

If McCartney died and his record label released a collection of posthumous songs, several of which were not sung by Paul McCartney, that would be a cause for anger.

BlueGangsta likes this.
  19. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Loving You & We Are Here To Change The World (the latter of which was created exclusively for Captain Eo, along with the later retooled Another Part of Me) are part of what many fans call the "Thrad" sound (i.e. the grey area from '85-'86 between the Thriller and Bad sessions), though never considered for the Bad album.

Those Paul Anka songs were also never formally planned to be included on any Jackson album, and those sessions were largely for Anka's Walk a Fine Line album (especially This Is It, which was intended to be a duet of some sort - It Don't Matter to Me was a real skeleton of a demo prior to Drake using it).

And to address your final paragraph, I think it's unclear. MJ didn't have a huge number of finished, ready made songs to be adapted for the posthumous albums. The Estate has likely drained the well of those songs (at least what they have - Michael's various collaborators have different songs he worked on, like Paul Anka) to the point where they'll have to start releasing box sets or something non aimed at the charts or sales like Michael & Xscape were. It seems right now The Estate is focusing more on "brand management" and the like other than the music.

20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I am not talking about the three songs, this was before Michael had even died. However those ‘fans’ were just plain scary, Michael at that point seemed to attract some very strange people.
    And I have read plenty of reports about the dark web thank you.

21. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Did you use tor to access a .onion url? Did you have to use a proxy to access said fan forum?

I imagine not, so it's not the dark web. Michael Jackson always attracted the true believers and uber fans - many believe that he's part of their identity as a person. Such is celebrity, I guess.

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I have been a Micheal Jackson fan since 72 and he has not always attracted those type of fans. His fanship took a much darker side in the early/mid 90's and then got even worse. I am not talking about all of his fans but he certainly attracted a dedicated following of weirdos and misfits after this..

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  23. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

People always cling to celebrities who they feel are different... whether that be Marilyn Manson or Jackson.

Humans are a strange bunch!

24. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

Hold up. Are you trying to say "Keep Your Head Up", "Monster" and "Breaking News" are actually Michael Jackson vocals? Surely you don't believe that?!?

BlueGangsta likes this.
  25. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Sounds like him, but also sounds strange. The problem is that we are not sure how his singing voice developed between 2001 and 2009 since he himself released hardly any material.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.