Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I can't imagine they could play jazz fest. First off they'd have to drastically streamline their staging and I couldn't imagine how jazz fest would handle the extra crowds. It's bad enough when they pack 100,000 in there for a regular big name but the stones?

2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I don't find that just because someone's got a lot of money to blow, they're not prone to violence.

3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

That's today's big-ticket touring business: beer and circus.

The Stones are not alone, and they'd just be leaving money on the table if they walked away. More power to them.

His white jumpsuit days caught a bad rap. He had his voice to the end and would include old rockers like "Mystery Train" in his set.

DavidD and laf848 like this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Meadowlands (security) only beat up (and worse) Deadheads.

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Same here!!!:edthumbs:

Sean likes this.
  6. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

All fair points. But let's be honest and call the Stones' minimal effort for maximum return what it is - coasting.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Perhaps not, but you're less likely to get into a brawl with some 60-year-old than some 20-year-old - and you're more likely to sit near a 60-year-old in the expensive seats section.

You seem convinced that brawls are typical on the field at Stones shows but the cheap seats are some peaceful nirvana of love and brotherhood! :wtf:

JoeRockhead likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Yeah, you have a point there! That was an ugly episode...

9. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

The Stones and Paul McCartney among a few others have paved the way and made it OK to still rock out in your golden years and now nobody gives it a second thought. They are pioneers in that regard.

I remember when Steel Wheels was released and people were calling it Steel Wheelchairs and the Stones weren't even 50 yet!!!!!!! But God bless them, they have ignored the critics and kept on being the Stones.

I last saw them on the Bridges tour '97 and they began to play The Last Time. My aunt looked at me and said, "This is sad, it really may be the last time."

Conclusion: That was 21 years ago, never count the Stones out, they've always been the underdog that rises to the top!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Sean, krock2009, laf848 and 2 others like this.
  10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Might as well tell my story.

So, lower level of Giants' Stadium for VL, high row.

About 2 rows in front of me, two thuggish types seemed to be tormenting a young couple who somehow wound up between them in the row (among other folks). I gave it some time, to see if there was some social signal I was missing, but I decided it wasn't, and they were escalating their harassment. I left and told security there might be an imminent situation and where it was. I returned to my seat. Security came, they jawed, they left.

Then the two thugs left the couple alone, but apparently decided someone narc'ed on them (good call), started looking around, and between the looks and the nodding it pretty much looked like they had settled on me (good call, again).

I hauled ass and escaped to upper deck, opposite side of stadium, and found an empty. Yeah, it was far away, but, better sound (no concrete overhang directly over my head - I was in a high row downstairs), better visuals (the lights in the overhang were left on - it was like attending a concert in a shopping mall food court. Upstairs, it was just the stars in the sky...), and, you know, big cobra. It was all good.

DavidD, mtvgeneration and DigMyGroove like this.
  11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

You have no idea what kind of effort this requires

DavidD likes this.
  12. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Is it possible this tour will be in support of the new album (he asked, pretending it's still the seventies)?

13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Actually, what I've found since about 2002-ish, at shows by the Who, the Stones, and many others, is a wild uptick - in the expensive seats/areas, usually - in the number of people willing to directly lay their hands on you if you're doing something they don't like, from standing up between acts, or concerting while tall.

Perhaps they are basically unhappy because they're spending money they really can't afford? IDK.

No, I'm equal-opportunity. I snagged a last-row $20 ticket for GnR's 1st reunion show in Philly, but I decided day-of that the extremely high temperature (feels-like 90, at 8PM) might make moods volatile. I blew it off because I did not want to be at the top of that tornado if it started swirling. At $20, that's not a painful thing to do.

14. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

The "rumor" (which is pretty much confirmed) is that they'll play a special 50th Anniversary Thursday, which will be separately ticketed and, for the first time, have a cap on tickets sold.

15. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Maybe. But I'm not sure the word coasting would apply to a group of near 80 year olds. ;)

16. Exile On My Street

In truth, the majority of the people attending these shows want the hits and nothing but the hits. The Stones have a LOT of hits. If they don't play one you get the critics walking out, "Oh, but they didn't play this one...and this one, and that one." These guys are in their 70's now and are there to give the best show they can and please the most people as possible. I'm sure they will break out a gem or two here and there but the fact of the matter is, you will disappoint more people that way at this stage of the game. The Stones have been doing this for nearly 60 years, do you really expect a bunch of guys in their mid 70's to sit around for weeks and months rehearsing old tunes that most people don't even remember and don't want to listen to, other than the hardcore fans? Call it coasting, but they are at the point of giving the people what they want.

Who knows how much longer this will last, Mick, Keith and Charlie are in their mid-late 70's, it's time to forget about Miss Amanda Jones (I'm sure you own Between the Buttons) and be grateful we're getting one more chance to see them.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    DavidD, nojasa and MRamble like this.
  17. Oatsdad

I've attended nearly 1000 concerts and the few violent - or nearly violent - episodes I've witnessed have showed no connection to price or proximity to the stage.

Except for general admission standing shows - those have had the possibility for mayhem, and not just in the Who 1979 way.

Worst I ever saw was Bowie in Sacramento 1990. The Cal Expo Amphitheater was really more like a smallish football stadium, so the field was larger than what you'd get at an arena.

I got there early to get a good spot near the stage, and most of the day went fine. When Bowie hit the stage, though, the d-bag crowd came out with a vengeance.

This meant a bunch of guys who rushed the stage and pushed/shoved anyone in their way. This continued for much of the show.

I was a bigger guy back then - I weighed about 200 pounds - but even then, I got knocked to the floor 3 or 4 times due to the constant shoving.

Eventually I bailed and moved back about 30 feet. I was farther from the stage but I could enjoy the show without constant fear of harm!

18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yeah, "Lord of the Flies" GA floors are another issue entirely. Learned some lessons in my day, also.

I'm genuinely happy for you that you have a good time in your concertgoing among the $x00 seat buyers.

19. Oatsdad

I don't think GA is the madhouse it used to be - at least not for mainstream acts like Bowie. Probably still nuts for punk or metal bands, but artists with a more general following don't seem to inspire this kind of violence.

Of course, Springsteen has done GA floors for years, though the separation between the GA pit and the rest of the floor does a lot to prevent "stage rushers" like the ones I dealt with in 1990.

U2 have had full floor GA for years, but the stage setups alleviate the "need" to get right up front.

Same for Gaga. Full floor GA but the staging doesn't emphasize one particular "best place", so the crowd spreads out and doesn't push/jostle as much...

Then there are artists with limited GA, like Guns 'n Roses or Katy Perry. At those shows, GA took up a small "pit" area so the # of people in these locations is small/manageable...

Thanks. It's good to hang out with my economic betters! :D

20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Yup.
    The spirit and will of the band is very much still alive. I think the band, never known to be warm or sentimental, also recognizes this at this point.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  21. RedWingfan

RedWingfan Forum Resident

I'm so old, I remember when they had a Vox guitar player with blond hair!

22. Exile On My Street

I'm so old I remember when their new video, Undercover of the Night, appeared for the first time on Friday Night Videos...LOL

krock2009 likes this.
  23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

For a few tours starting in 2002, there was still a pit/pen area that you accessed by early arrival. Then you got wrist-banded and could go pee and re-enter. "Latecomers" stayed outside, but some folks wanted to be outside, even from the start. I saw one indoor I&E show, and, like, Gaga, they decided to stagger the floor staging so there was no crush situation. You could also buy an I&E package that got you on a raised platform on the floor with cash bar. Very creative, I thought.

And Taylor Swift!!

24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'm so old I remember Night Flight.

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

In addition to the other dates mentioned, they played Summerfest in Milwaukee in 2015. Here's my wife's seat for the show (the one with the beer on it):

[​IMG]

This put her right next to the B-stage, and she was a happy bunny!

[​IMG]

Ummm, where have you been the last 20, or so, years?

Ignoring all the small warm-up gigs they have played, they included theaters and arenas in the 2002-03 tour, and toured arenas as recently as 2012-2014.

It is only with the recent stadium tours that they have really cut back on the number of new and deep songs in the setlist.

JoeRockhead and signothetimes53 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.