Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Slicin' Sand
    Written By :
    Roy C. Bennett & Sid Tepper

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 21-23, 1961 : March 21, 1961. take 19

This is a fairly generic rock and roll sand with a slight Hawaiian flavour. It isn't bad at all, but Elvis had set the bar very high with an already enviable series of songs and albums behind him. Not a bad track, but certainly not an album stand out.

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I think this thread is going to either go very fast or very slowly as we move into the mid 60s.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  3. mark winstanley

well I will be going the same pace, but perhaps it may feel more slow :)

RSteven likes this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

Yes, but what I suspect there may be less comments, so it will go fast. But yes, it will feel slow because of a lot of "dead air". Side two of Blue Hawaii has given a hint of what I mean.

5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

:wtf:

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

Well Yes, there is that

RSteven likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

Yea i know, it's bizarre isn't it .... I haven't seen jailhouse rock and a lot of others either.
    I know I have seen Love me tender, Loving You and King Creole ... not really sure what else to be honest

8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I just watched it again a couple of months ago. It's lightweight but has great production values and it's fun to hear the songs in context with their scenes. Moonlight Swim is good fun and I like how they use the female actors as the back-up singers. And I do realize I'm biased but strangely enough, I don't feel the same way about Paradise, Hawaiian Style.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

I do intend to watch the movies, or a good deal of them at some point. I used to love Elvis movies, but I just watched the free ones back when television used to show them ... In Australia in the seventies, when I was a puppy, they always had a specific time of year where Saturday at noon meant an Elvis movie :)

Manapua likes this.
  10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I was hoping for a Blu Ray since some of his films are already available in that format but as of now, no go. The DVD runs about 5 bucks on Amazon. Good deal.

11. mark winstanley

I'm thinking about those. I looked at a couple of boxes, but the movies in those seem to be a real mixed bag

12. SKATTERBRANE

I have seen all his movies. The one that took me the longest to see was On Tour when it was put in theatres for a limited time around 2012. I have only seen a handful in the theatres. Most I've seen on TV back in the 60s and early 70s under the hateful eye of my step-father. He hated Elvis and hated me. So, he felt obligated not to let me watch them in peace, so he could criticize every aspect about them as I watched.

I do remember my aunt taking me to Jailhouse Rock in the theatre. And my mom and I saw Paradise Hawaiian Style together. She got a double whammy as she loved Elvis as well as James Shigeta .

13. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I love Can't Help Falling In Love. I even downloaded the sheet music for it so I could play it on piano. Very beautiful song, and one of the few from his movies he seemed to enjoy singing in concert when he returned to the live stage.

14. mark winstanley

15. mark winstanley

16. mark winstanley

Easy reference guide
    1959 home recording
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 23 1960

Touch Of Gold Vol 3 EP - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 23 1960
    Stuck on you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Fame And Fortune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1960
    Elvis Is Back - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Make Me Know It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Girl Of My Best Friend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Will Be Home Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Dirty Dirty Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Thrill Of Your Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Soldier Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Girl Next Door Went a Walkin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Like A Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Reconsider Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 12 1960
    Elvis - Frank Sinatra show - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jul 5 1969

It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Mess O' Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1 1960
    GI Blues
    track 1 Tonight Is So Right For Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 What's She Really Like Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Frankfort Special Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 GI Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Pocket Full Of Rainbows Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Shoppin' Around Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Big Boots Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Didja Ever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Blues Suede Shoes (revisited) Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Doin' The Best I Can Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1 1960
    Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Live 1972 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    I Gotta Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 23 1960
    His Hand In Mine
    track 1 His Hand In Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I;m Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 In My Fathers House Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Milky White Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I Believe In The Man In The Sky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Joshua Fit The Battle Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 He Knows Just What I Need Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mansion On the Hilltop Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 If We Never Meet Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Working On The Building Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 7 1961
    Surrender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Lonely Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

March 25 1961
    Pearl Harbour Concert - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

April 21 1961
    Flaming star EP
    track 1 Flaming Star Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Summer Kisses Winter Tears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 2 1961
    I Feel So Bad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Wild In The country Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 19 1961
    Something For Everybody
    track 1 There's Always Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Give Me The Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 It's A Sin Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Sentimental Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Starting today Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Gently Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 I'm Comin' Home Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 In your Arms Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Put The Blame On Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Judy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I Want You With Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

August 8 1961
    His Latest Flame Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Little Sister Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

October 20 1961
    Blue Hawaii
    track 1 Blue Hawaii Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Almost always True Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Aloha Oe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 No More Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Can't help Falling in love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Rock a-hoola baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Moonlight Swim Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Ku'uipo Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Ito Eats Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Slicin' Sand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Hawaiian Sunset Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Beach Boy blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Bevok likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

18. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Ok, this is not my favorite song but I have always wanted to make a CD exclusively of Elvis' songs related to food, drink and eating. Let's see: 1. Tutti Fruiti
    2. Hot Dog
    3. Crawfish
    4. Ito Eats
    5. Margarita.....
    Help me out here y'all!

19. mark winstanley

Ahhhm ...
    Frankfort special ?
    :agree:

Dave112 likes this.
  20. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Catching up a bit here...

No More is one of those perfect little songs that are sprinkled rather generously through Elvis' catalogue. It may not have changed the world, but it's a sweet song that Elvis really elevates with his operatic treatment of the melody.

I have to step up and defend Ito Eats. Yes, it's silly, but it's also a heck of a lot of fun. It's a catchy song that I never tire of listening to, unlike the dull title track, or the forgettable Hawaiian Sunset.

Ku-U-I-Po doesn't quite work for me in its Blue Hawaii incarnation, but the post-Aloha show version is absolutely stunning. The key change does wonders, as does Elvis' more committed vocal.

I agree with everyone who said that His Latest Flame/Little Sister is a strong contender for Elvis' finest single. The 80s remix of Little Sister is particularly great, sounding nasty in all the right ways (it's on at least two CDs that I know of: Return Of The Rocker and The Top Ten Hits). As for His Latest Flame, Del Shannon's version gets closer to the (tortured) heart of the lyric, and the version of Rusholme Ruffians on the Smiths' Rank album makes me wish that they'd taken a crack at a full rendition of the song, but you can't beat Elvis' version as a pure pop record. That having been said, take 1 is one of the more interesting alternates in the Elvis canon, as it starts off with a rather dreamy acoustic sound that may well have made for an even better final master.

Bevok, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  21. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Song Of The Shrimp!

(Don't laugh; it's a lovely melody, and unexpectedly dark!)

Dave112 likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

It's bizarre lol

Dave112 likes this.
  23. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

There's certainly nothing else like it that I've ever heard! For a real mind-trip, listen to Townes Van Zandt's rendition, wherein he adopts a dirge-like tempo and pretends (?) to take the lyrics 100% seriously.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  24. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Oh, very well:

Money Honey
    Shake, Rattle and Roll
    Jailhouse Rock (as in ‘seaside rock’)
    Cotton Candy Land
    Vino, Dinero y Amor
    Queenie Wahini’s Papaya
    Smorgasbord
    Clambake
    (!)
    Do The Clam
    Milky
    (White) Way
    Polk
    Salad Annie
    Fool (!)
    Three Corn Patches

What a silly idea! ;)

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  25. mark winstanley

Beautiful lol

Dave112 and NumberEight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.