CREATE John Mellencamp - The Best That I Could Do Disc 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by krambigmac, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I’d like a 4LP Best Of Mellencamp box.
    No edits.

John Grimes likes this.
  2. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

IMO these are missing "Rumble Seat" and "Let It All Hang Out"

Hep Alien, mtvgeneration and Jackson like this.
  3. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

These 2 are also missing

:::. I was 14 when I listened to 'Scarecrow' And I really Liked It...it was Robert's LP

Robert, a common friend with me and other friend, Rigo, used to buy sony CrO2 tapes, then go to Robert house every Sunday at noon with the LPs from each three of us, and put together amazing Mix Tapes recorded in his Stereo System, watching Football; also, we always carry our Lps back home, that's how I kept my collection complete and I think it was a good Idea.

4. I did buy the new vinyl 2-LP release of this compilation. It is also available in a limited edition version pressed on gold colored vinyl.

John Mellencamp* - The Best That I Could Do (1978-1988)

I got the gold edition vinyl. The pressing quality seems to be very good, flat (not warped), really well-centered, and it plays back without any clicks or pops. No visual marks on the records, and it comes in poly-lined sleeves with an extra printed insert.

The vinyl was cut by Ian Sefchick at Capitol Mastering. I am pretty certain this was cut from digital, but I am not bothered by that.

I have no other vinyl pressings to compare it to, only CD versions, and the vinyl compilation easily beats the respective individual CD's for sound quality (I do not own the respective compilation on CD).

I also have an old vinyl single of "Paper in Fire" (with a non-album track "Never Too Old" as the B-side), and I just needledropped the single (as well as the new compilation). The song "Paper in Fire" still sounds a bit better on the old single (at 45 rpm) compared to the compilation on vinyl.

Hope this helps.

Overall, I think it is a really well-assembled compilation. Would have liked it if it included "Rain on the Scarecrow", but you can't have it all.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Hep Alien, BOZMAN and Jackson like this.
  5. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Mellencamp needs a 4LP Best of box, this set doesn’t even cover the first phase well enough and there’s even more excellent material after this leaves off.

6. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Thanks, your comments were very helpful.

rjstauber likes this.
  7. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Lots more. I agree.

groovelocked likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.