SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Steve, are there test pressings of Jethro Tull's Benefit DCC cd?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Can you restate?

3. Steve Hoffman

Nope.

4. Ale200

Ale200 Forum Resident

Steve, which compilations or CDs by Hall & Oates and The Cars would you recommend in terms of mastering?:edthumbs: Give us more than one option, if you can, please:):laugh:

Jaime1972 likes this.
  5. Jaime1972

Jaime1972 Well-Known Member

Steve, what are your favorite CD versions of Pink Floyd albums? Specially, Dark Side of the Moon?
    And I also been wondering, how did you discover your vocation for mastering?:cool:

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The announcer is Don Elliot.

[​IMG]

7. Steve Hoffman

Interesting, thanks.

action pact likes this.
  8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Steve, you have mentioned the Val Valentin’s 1K vamp in his mix down. I guess that this kind of vamps are quite common by a certain time.
    If I am right about it and if you could, could you please elaborate on that matter with examples (like RCA, Columbia, Decca, Mercury, RVG and so on)?

9. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Steve,
    Queensryche released a great concept album ‘Operation: Mindcrime’. The mega platinum selling follow up ‘Empire’ was released by DCC with your new mastering.

Do you know if there was any talk about Operation Mindcrime also being worked on. I ask as the original Operation Mindcrime is considered to have a bit of a flawed production, and would need someone with a certain je ne sais qua to try and fix it

10. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

john lennonist, Adam9 and Simon A like this.
  11. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

"Best sounding version of X" can be a rabbit hole, but sometimes the ride down the hole can be enjoyable. Sometimes I am not aware that I own "the best" sounding version of an album and I play it, anyway, and I notice the sound. This happened today with Beggar's Banquet, only I have no idea if the original London USA pressing is considered "the best," but I was blown away by the sound! The same goes for my original Decca US pressing of Tommy. These records are older than I am and, after a spin under the Discwasher brush, they are quiet, dynamic, and just jaw-dropping. Time passed faster when I was listening to them. Anyway, I enjoy this forum, I appreciate your input Steve, but also the input of the larger community. Y'all are truly "in the know." And, I agree 100% with the law of diminishing returns when it comes to gear. I'm always looking for that X/Y intersection of value and sound.

uzn007 likes this.
  12. Rock Klammer

Rock Klammer Formerly pompatusoflove

Steve, I’m currently listening to your mastering of the “Best of Bread” and it sounds fantastic! So easy on the ears man! I could listen to it over and over. Was this an easy recording to master? I’m hearing so much rich clear bass. Was this already present on the recording or did you set out specifically to bring this out in the mastering?

13. Steve Hoffman

Very easy to work on, fantastic sounding mixes for the most part. A few dogs on there but I adjusted them to sound as nice as the nicest stuff on there..

lpfreak1170, Simon A and Aftermath like this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Not a clue, sorry.

15. Steve Hoffman

Not sure what a 1k vamp is. Can you explain?

16. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

I'm curious what your opinion is of Ray Davies. Do you consider him one of the rock giants, up there with Lennon, McCartney, Dylan, etc., as I do?

Favorite Kinks album(s)?

dav-here likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

I saw his p**** once by accident. Didn't mean to but we were peeing next to each other. I also saw the p**** of Walter Cronkite, also by accident, same deal. Remember this. It's important.

Smash, Cat People, roverb and 18 others like this.
  18. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Like he said, what's your opinion of Ray Davies? :hide:

19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'll take this one.

Can't speak for The Cars (although their first self-titled album is really all you need) but for Hall & Oates I like the old CD of Rock 'n' Soul Part 1, their first greatest hits album.

Ale200 and Jaime1972 like this.
  20. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Hmmm, I might have to seek this one out but there are so many best of bread releases. Do you have more details on the Hoffman CD?

I have the 1988 Pickwick Very Best of Bread CD and that too sounds awesome.

21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

So...rock giant or not? :laugh:

22. Rock Klammer

Rock Klammer Formerly pompatusoflove

It’s the Audio Fidelity SACD AFZ5 197. It has a great 4.0 mix on it also. I was referencing the stereo SACD mastering. Sorry, I should’ve been more specific in the original post.

Chooke likes this.
  23. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

It's the original 12-track album, Audio Fidelity SACD hybrid with the added bonus of the gorgeous quad mix on top. Trouble is you're gonna need a lot of dough to snag one at this point.

Bread - The Best Of Bread

PhantomStranger and Chooke like this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

You know that old saying, if you can't can't say something nice about someone, discuss their urine.

AudioEnz likes this.
  25. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Oops. I meant 1K bump. :o