Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Island Of Love
    Written By :
    Roy C. Bennett & Sid Tepper

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 21-23, 1961 : March 22, 1961. take 13
    This track maintains the beauty and the smooth feel that this album has. In it's own right this is a beautiful song and, for me, works really well. Perhaps it is these Elvis songs that always made me wish I had been able to visit Hawaii ...

2. mark winstanley

Hawaiian Wedding Song
    Written By :
    Al Hoffman, Charles E. King & Dick Manning

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 21-23, 1961 : March 22, 1961. take 2

"Hawaiian Wedding Song" originally entitled; "Ke Kali Nei Aua" (Waiting There for Thee) was adapted from a 1926 love song written by Charles E. King and originally recorded by Helen Desha Beamer in its original (Hawaiian language) version but re-written by Al Hoffman and Dick Manning and renamed as "Hawaiian Wedding Song". The song was recorded by Bing Crosby, Andy Williams and Elvis Presley.

In the US, Williams' version was released as a single in 1958 and reached number 11 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and number 27 on the R&B chart.[1] In the UK, a single version by Julie Rogers went to number 31 on the UK Singles Chart in 1965.[2] Elvis Presley sang another version of the song in the 1961 film Blue Hawaii. In 1964, Hong Kong female singer Kong Ling covered the song on her LP album This World We Live In with Diamond Records (now under UMG).

An earlier English version of "Ke Kali Nei Au" was by Bing Crosby and it was titled "Here Ends the Rainbow" with Johnny Burke supplying the lyrics. This was recorded on February 9, 1951 with Betty Mullin and Lyn Murray and His Orchestra.[3]
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Another beautiful song. This album has such a abundance of beautiful songs, it is almost the most essential romantic album ever made.

RSteven and Dave112 like this.
  3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Ito Eats is not as bad as many other soundtrack songs. The performance and arrangement are good, it is just that is has silly lyrics.

Ku-U-I-Po is a song I actually quite like.

Manapua, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  4. mark winstanley

me too, i was singing it all day yesterday lol

Manapua, RSteven and artfromtex like this.
  5. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Hey, we're about go deep into the soundtrack years. We will be getting very silly soon. I might as well start the ball rolling.

NumberEight and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

:)
    song of the shrimp is more disturbing than silly lol ... but anyhow :sweating:

Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Could you be referring to There’s No Room To Rumba, er, Rhumba? :)

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  8. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

They don't care to release them on Blu-ray for some reason. Only 3 are available I think and Blue Hawaii isn't among them.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

Backing singers really make this song for me.

10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

One of the best viewing pleasures for me is seeing what Oahu and specifically Waikiki looked like in the early 60s again. Statehood was fresh but the building boom was still to come so there's an absence of towering structures. Don't forget, this town was once basically a marsh. Also fun to point out all the geographical absurdities only locals would notice.

11. SKATTERBRANE

Just about any movie has geographical absurdities that only those familiar with the locale the movie is supposed to depict are aware.

12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Doesn't make it any less fun when it's a locale you're familiar with.

13. SKATTERBRANE

Well whenever I see a movie that using an incorrect location for the locale the movie is supposed to take place, it bugs me. But thankfully I am not all that familiar with many locations or locales, so I am not bothered all that often. But there are pretty popular, significant and highly rated movies where this happens.

There was also a movie (Inside Llewyn Davis) that used for MOST of the picture a 1961 Buick Electra 4 door hardtop. And often movies that feature a car predominately, also have at least one back up car that is SUPPOSED to be identical. Well in at least one scene they used a 1961 Buick LaSabre 4 door SEDAN, not a 4 door hardtop! It bugged the crap out of me!

BTW, cars they often call "hardtops" these days are NOT hardtops as per the original definition.

At 0:34 when he gets inside and shuts the door, the hardtop pictured become a sedan, Notice the "B" pillar behind his head when he sits down:

And as they drive off the rear 1/4 window that is featured on the hardtop is missing behind Goodman's head as they are now riding in a sedan.

And then back at 0:59 they are back in the hardtop car again.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

Bevok likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

16. mark winstanley

[​IMG][​IMG]

Written By :
    Aaron Schroeder & Wally Gold

Recorded :
    RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 15-16, 1961 : October 15, 1961. take 4
    "Good Luck Charm"
    [​IMG]
    Single by Elvis Presley
    B-side
    "Anything That's Part of You"
    Released February 27, 1962
    Format 7" vinyl
    Recorded October 15, 1961, RCA Studios, Nashville, Tennessee
    Genre
    Length 2:27
    Label RCA Victor[1]
    Songwriter(s) Aaron Schroeder, Wally Gold[1]
    Producer(s) Steve Sholes[1]

Music video
    "Good Luck Charm" (audio) on YouTube
    "Good Luck Charm" is a song recorded by Elvis Presley and published by Gladys Music, Elvis Presley's publishing company, that reached number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 list in the week ending April 21, 1962. It remained at the top of the list for two weeks. It reached number one in the UK Singles Chart in the week ending 24 May 1962 and stayed there for five weeks.[2]

The song was written by Aaron Schroeder and Wally Gold and recorded at RCA Studio B in Nashville, Tennessee by Presley in 1961. It completed his second hat-trick of chart topping singles in the UK.[1] Presley is joined vocally on the chorus by Jordanaires first tenor Gordon Stoker.

"Good Luck Charm" was covered by Travis & Shook on Cape Cod Covers, Vol. 1 "The King". Alvin and the Chipmunkscovered the song for "Luck O' The Chipmunks", a 1988 episode of Alvin and the Chipmunks. The Marvelettes 1962 (Smash Hits Of '62 catalog number Tamla TM 229). An answer song, entitled "Don't Want to Be Another Good Luck Charm", was recorded by Jo (of the duo Judy & Jo). It was released by Capitol Records as catalog number CP-1468 (single).
    ---------------------------------
    I have always loved this song. From being a really young kid I thought this song was really cool. Here we have a really nice beat that's a cross between a strut and a lope and we have a very cool Elvis vocal that really rides the rhythm of the song beautifully. I always liked that bass vocal tha comes in on the "ah ah huh".
    I am really surprised to see that this track only got to number 33 on the chart.

17. mark winstanley

Anything That's A Part Of You
    Written By :
    Don Robertson

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 15-16, 1961 : October 15, 1961. take 10

"Anything That's Part of You" is a song written by Don Robertson. It was recorded by Elvis Presley in 1962 for RCA Records. It has also been recorded by Bobby Solo (in German as, "Vielleicht kannst du mich jetzt versteh'n") in 1966, and by Billy "Crash" Craddock in 1968 for Chart Records.
    -----------------------------
    The b-side, or double a if that's how it works, is a stunningly beautiful song, again by Don Robertson. This track is a real heartbreaker and is sung with a delicacy that really makes it shine. It is beautifully arranged and has a very country flavour . Great song, and another shining single release.

Dave112, RSteven and artfromtex like this.
  18. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

One of Elvis' greatest vocals and one of my all time faves. Some of the lines reveal a sadness that only a true broken heart can feel. If you're sad, this song cuts deep.

hugh . g., Dave112, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  19. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Ernst Jorgensen wrote that Elvis rarely sounded more bereft than in this song, one of his greatest and most beautiful ballads. Don Robertson owed "Anything" to his wife:
    It was "inspired by Irene. I was head over heels in love with her (I still am). She was a flight attendant and was gone a lot. I missed her so much. We have been married for over 40 years."

Here's his demo:

Dave112, Manapua, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Elvis buying a 1962 Ford Thunderbird in Feb '62
    [​IMG]

clhboa likes this.
  21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Kinda looks like a 50's photo.

22. mark winstanley

yea ... i guess it could be, but I can only go on the info I have :)

artfromtex likes this.
  23. SKATTERBRANE

And no 1962 T-Bird in sight.

24. mark winstanley

Oh well ...

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Good Luck Charm was a #1 song (his last #1 until Suspicious Minds, in fact). The b-side topped out at #31... Is that what you're thinking of?

It's a great song and having Stoker sing along with Elvis on the chorus is a novel idea that works really well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.