Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

ILDEBRANDO PIZZETTI - String Quartets
    Lajtha Quartet (Naxos 2011)

[​IMG]

Marzz and Octave like this.
  2. SteveKn

SteveKn Forum Resident

I've been listening to La Betulia liberata from CDs 155 & 156 of the Mozart 225 box set most of the day. I wasn't familiar with the piece(K.118.) I found an entry in Wikipedia that said Mozart was only 15 when he composed it. Amazing.

3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Still working my way through this set.

[​IMG]

SteveKn likes this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

6. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have the SACD box set of these recordings. My favorites from this set are the 5th and the 9th. I havent heard any other recordings of those two symphonies that I enjoy as much.

ToniFromMars and Rick Robson like this.
  7. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

How is it?

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Excellent--both the playing and the sound. I do think the "Funeral March" is a bit fast in the Sonata No.2, but otherwise I like the recording very much.

9. kevinfree

kevinfree Senior Member

So, I bought this because it was a favorite of my mom. I love it; can you recommend me where to go next since this is my first "classical" LP?

[​IMG]

tomymontana and vanhooserd like this.
  10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

In honor of Schubert's birthday.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Rick Robson and Eigenvector like this.
  11. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have this album on SACD and love it too. As for your question there are obviously going to be many ways you can go. I would perhaps recommend Beethovens symphonies, especially 5-9, and the four symphonies of Brahms, which give me endless listening pleasure.

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Welcome! A likely choice would be Khachaturian's Gayne Ballet Suite, which includes the famous sabre dance.

ToniFromMars likes this.
  13. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Shostakovich: COMPLETE SYMPHONIES (USSR Ministry of Culture SSO, Rozhdestvensky - Melodiya, 11cd)
    [with the eleventh disc the composer's reduction of the 10th for piano four hand, played by Shost and Weinberg]

It's been several years since I went through all of the symphonies in a short amount of time....too short, this time. I think one symphony a day is as fast as I will take it, next time. Devastating. It's weird I'd forgotten how horrifying and grotesque and hysterical so many stretches get; I don't think that's just a function of the blistering Rozh touch. I am now scared to listen to the Kondrashin set, which will be happening next month.

I also just purchased the Petrenko/Naxos at a very nice price from JPC, hat-tip to the Classical Megabox thread. But that will have to wait for 2019....I don't think I can bear to hear the whole cycle a third time within a month.

Also the string quartets by the Mandelring Quartet.

George P likes this.
  14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Op.106--very muscular and powerful outer movements, with an achingly beautiful Adagio. Superbly recorded.

[​IMG]

crispi likes this.
  15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Considering that this derives from concerts beginning the day after 9/11, I would have expected a more searing performance. It's still very good, and so is the sound--highly detailed and transparent.

[​IMG]

16. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I spent days agonizing over which set of Beethoven Piano Sonatas to purchase as my first, and ended up going with Wilhelm Backhaus on Decca. I am hoping it arrives tomorrow. I hope I made a good choice, as the set wasn't cheap.

Bubbamike likes this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The mono Japanese Decca Backhaus set, or the later, mainly stereo set?

18. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Stereo set. 1992 CD release made in Germany.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm enjoying this DSD file
    [​IMG]

via my new McIntosh MA9000 amp! It sounds fantastic...I sense no loss of warmth compared to my previous tube amp.

[​IMG]

20. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Took a work break today and sat in my car in the sun and listened to the third movement.
    Great way to calm out.
    I think that march inspired Prokofiev because I hear hints of his later sound in it.
    This is my 1972 go to version:

[​IMG]

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I just listened to the Symphony No. 9 by Dvorak, conducted by Kertesz. The SACD is awesome, my new digital reference and very close to the original Decca LP. The Japanese SACD (Stereo Sound) was remastered from the original analogue Decca tapes in UK.

ToniFromMars likes this.
  22. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Hindemith: DIE HARMONIE DER WELT (RSO-Berlin, Mark Janowski - Wergo, 3cd, 2002)

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Try LIVING STEREO vinyl of Chicago Symphony & Fritz Reiner playing Scheherazade and Pictures At An Exhibition.

kevinfree likes this.
  24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

This Japan box has the best mastering of the tapes.

25. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

STRAVINSKY IN HOLLYWOOD (dvd, 53 min.)

This was included in the 2015 big Columbia box. I don't especially recommend it....it's a mediocre doc with a pretentious voiceover narration (lots of idle 'psychological' speculation) and ridiculous dialogue-free "re-enactments" clogging up a big chunk of the running time. (Though one sequence---of Stravinsky driving out into the desert with Robert Craft and Vera, kneeling in the sand and having a mystical vision---was worth a guffaw.)
    What made the viewing worth all of this was some chunks of a latter-day interview with the aged Craft (somewhat interesting) and some footage of Stravinsky that I had not seen before, including him discussing his faith while in bed in (apparently) his pajamas. Which latter I found funny and oddly moving. ("I believe because it's absurd. It doesn't come from my brain." All this with that Cheshire Cat grin.)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018