"Frasier" Reboot*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 25, 2018.

1. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I remember the last scene in the last episode had Frazier on a plane landing in Chicago to be with his then girlfriend. Seems like Chicago's the logical place for a reboot.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

A huge part of the fun of the original show was that Niles was secretly in love with Daphne and the situations that would generate. It's part of the show's DNA. In the twilight of the series when Niles finally got Daphne, a big part of the show had closed off and we had plots like Daphne getting pregnant, her extended inlaws, Niles having a health scare, etc, etc, which were not the show's best developments.

So I agree, they need to be split up, but still somehow be in each other's orbit. Maybe they got divorced after the original show and now they're on their second marriages, but when they see each after again after a long break, they secretly start to have feeling for each other again...

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Ugh, that would be just a bad re-run. I hope if they bring them back, they keep them together, and find some other way to screw up their lives! Maybe they can have grown, neurotic, invisible kids of the Maris variety. :laugh:

Dudley Morris likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Oh gawd no! That would be a really bad idea (surry dude :)). It's like a reunion of your favorite old band - do you want them to play their classic hits or crappy new material?

I think the best idea so far, which was mentioned way before, was to have the Crane boys run for some kind of political office. Plenty of material there for satire, farce, one-upmanship, squabbles, alliances, etc.

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think Niles and Daphne doing the old courtship thing again can only be crappy old material, it's a classic hit that can't really be played again. People will see through it.

When I heard that Grammar was close to abandoning a new Frasier series, I really wanted to get a Twitter account just to tweet "SENATOR FRASIER CRANE" at him - but I doubt he'd ever see it! :laugh:

Zeroninety likes this.
  6. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Crane Boys Mysteries!

thgord, jamesc, GeoffC and 2 others like this.
  7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yes please!

digdug67 and dkmonroe like this.
  8. Indeed. And in fact, one of the reasons I eventually stopped watching Frasier is that despite its higherbrow trappings it was at least as rooted in "idiot plots" as a show like Friends was.

9. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Why? Breaking them up serves no purpose.

Reboot shouldn’t be a rehash. I know in your mind you link their pre-together days with the show’s best days and therefore think one has to do with the other. It really doesn’t. It just so happened that certain events on the show coincided with a certain place during the lifetime of the show. If they had gotten together during what you think are the show’s “prime” years, this would be a non-issue to you. Their getting together though was inevitable and probably should have happened sooner (and spared us the Donny and Mel relationships).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Zeroninety and dkmonroe like this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I disagree. They extended their period of not getting together almost perfectly. I also very much liked the Donny and Mel period. Yes, it was inevitable that they would eventually end up together, and I'm glad that they did, but I feel that point would have been a natural place to end the series. However, the show was still popular, so they kept going...

11. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I didn't go through the other 5 pages, but I'm sure someone else has mentioned it wouldn't be the same show without the dad. :cry:

12. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

My objection to D and N together isn't just the fact that the show's best years were before they got together; it's just that I didn't enjoy their chemistry at all once they became a couple. Also, Daphne's character seemed to change a lot, moving from being this likeable, slightly batty character to a more serious, self-aware and less fun version.

No idea what the answer would be. If it were me, I'd write her out of the show and send Niles out on some dates. He needs to have some sort of ongoing conflict though. This may be a controversial suggestion, but what if Niles were to slowly realize that relationship-wise, he's actually more aligned with the actor who plays him? But again, I think it would only work if he fought against it and still insisted on dating women. Just a thought. Might work for a couple of seasons.

unclefred likes this.
  13. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Yes, and it will need a theme song... Something simple...

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

15. Peace N. Love

16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

But who would play Frasier's father?

17. Peace N. Love

I think he said he will still be deceased. But he was resurrected once already, so who knows...

18. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Let's hope this one doesn't come to be so we can still claim THE TORTELLIS to be the one CHEERS spin-off flop.

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Your answer's here.

jamesc and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

21. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I wouldn't be so keen on this happening (the last few seasons were uneven as it was) but if it were to happen, I think I'd prefer to see Grammer with a new cast and have the old cast just be guest stars. Almost like another chapter, similar to him leaving Boston.

It wouldn't be "Frasier" as we know it but it would at least somewhat avoid comparisons. Maybe even a show name change (although, I realise that's unlikely).

22. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Comparisons are inevitable and not necessarily bad.

As long as it's well written and funny I'd probably prefer the old cast. They were as much a part of Frasier as Frasier was. Either way can work though.

23. Peace N. Love

I'd enjoy seeing a single Frasier and a divorced Niles getting up to something. The Frasier character and KG's performance are so good that, if well-executed, there is still potential.

24. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I couldn't agree more.

25. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

There seem to be a lot of stories the past few days hinting Frasier will be ready to air likely in late-2020.

Grammer comes across as very thoughtful and aware of the pitfalls, so I think they will do a good job with this reboot.

jamesc likes this.