2018 RSD Black Friday pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident Thread Starter

Won't be long now until we've got some of these goodies in our hands and ready to spin. Let's use this thread to discuss only the pressing quality of 2018 RSD Black Friday vinyl. Knowledge is power!

2. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Thus far, I've only played the Dio - Holy Diver live b/w Electra die-cut logo picture disc. Slightly low in volume, but the pressing sounds amazing.

dayday likes this.
  3. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Soul Asylum: The Twin Tone Years. I have played the first two records in the Soul Asylum box set. They sound a bit digital (a little fatiguing maybe?) to my ears but still pretty good. Pressing quality is superb so far.

Toad the Wet Sprocket. The box set packaging is just wonderful in my opinion. I have played all of Fear with just the tiniest bit of surface noise on one of the sides but only barely noticeable in between a track or two. I am onto side one of Dulcinea and so far everything is playing perfectly. Sound quality seems to be fine. As I said in another thread, I don't particularly feel like this is a revelation but I have no regrets picking it up and it sounds quite nice.

No pressing defects that I have found in any of the sets.

fitzchris72 likes this.
  4. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Devo - Are We Not Men picture disc sounds fantastic. Very, very loud cut.

Goo Goo Dolls - The Audience is That Way, Vol 2 sounds really good.

Blue Cheer - '67 Demos sounds awesome.

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I'm curious how BOC's "Some Enchanted Evening" sounds. The name 'Culture Factory' doesn't exactly instill confidence...

6. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Yeah, I want that one, too, they didn't have it.

7. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

The Priest sounds really great. The bass is very prominent. Very good sound. Well rounded. Better than my cd or old vinyl.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  8. airpfaff

airpfaff Well-Known Member

Reviews on the Grateful Dead, Eric Dolphy Jerry Garcia or Talking Heads?

9. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Talking Heads is cut by Kevin Gray as previous rhino releases

Bananas&blow likes this.
  10. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band is perfect. Flat pressing, poly-lined inners, nice gatefold and (most importantly) sounds fab.

11. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Sheryl Crow, also commented on the other thread.

Just cleaned and played mine. End of side 2 has surface noise towards the end of the last track, beginning of side 3 has a tic that repeats for about halfway through the first track. The rest of the album plays well, with a few pops and tics. Slightly off center as well.

12. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I would like to hear any opinions on the Bauhaus.

13. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

How does the Catch a Fire reissue sound?

RandelPink likes this.
  14. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I’ll hit that one next.

Zappa sounds great, very hot Grundman cut. Surface noise exists, but after a cleaning sounds just fine.

15. Zapruder

Bauhaus so far is dead quiet and sounds perfect. Absolutely no complaints.

uzn007, jimhb and zakyfarms like this.
  16. Zapruder

Dio shaped pic disc is audibly warped, but totally quiet apart from that. Not entirely disappointed.

17. Zapruder

Germs is flawless, lively mastering and exactly what I was hoping for.

DHamilton, recstar24 and giantleech like this.
  18. Zapruder

Saul Williams is very nice. Black with some tasteful splatter, sounds very clean and lively.

jimhb and Geee! like this.
  19. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Listened to the first disk of Dolphy. Sounds perfect. Very nice set with a huge book in it. There are hours of interesting stuff here (better be for the $75 price!)

Type O - Bloody Kisses sounded almost perfect too. Damn this album is great. Couple little ticks but that’s forgivable for the green/black vinyl.

Phish - Slip Stitch was a good pick up too. Sounded great, very interesting show. Adding some Doors The End/Careful w that Axe Eugene to the setlist was an unexpected treat.

Davidmk5 and zakyfarms like this.
  20. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds 6lp white vinyl set sounds terrific! Not one pop or tick, dead silent, flat pressing.

wwright and Drew769 like this.
  21. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

The 31st of February sounds fantastic! Very analog sounding and deep low bass. Mastered by Kevin Gray.

oddsbodkins and clhboa like this.
  22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Catch a Fire does have very good sound quality. The smoked vinyl looks cool but was disappointingly noisy right out of the sleeve. I’ve now played it through 3 times on separate cartridges and run it through the Audio Desk ultrasonic twice. The noise issue has improved to a satisfactory level for me but this will never be a dead silent pressing.

The Zippo cover is interesting. I wish it had a bit more of a quality feel to it but it’s nice. It is an odd enough shape it really doesn’t fit in a conventional outer sleeve very well.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    RandelPink, dee and GyroSE like this.
  23. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'm on the fence about this one, since it's sourced from a digital recording. Maybe the vinyl remastering will make me forget that!

RandelPink and Christopher B like this.
  24. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

This is a 4LP set as I understand it, no? I’m torn on this one because the Live at Luther College is amazing. This current set is available on line for about $140 until its gone. Might be a lot to spend for more of the same. I can imagine it sounds great though.

wwright likes this.
  25. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Played the Garcia LP this morning. Didn’t listen very critically. Family over for Thanksgiving holiday and kid running around. Sounded fine. Kind of regret the purchase though, as I feel like I’ve heard all of these songs 1,000,000 times. In fact, the thought that I’d rather just hear these on The Dead’s “Reckoning” came through my head at one point.

Iggy and the Stooges on deck.

Christopher B and JNTEX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.