King Crimson 2019 Celebration Tour (50 years)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimbino, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover Thread Starter

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Of course, a live album will be made out of these shows.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I love Crim, but not sure how many more live albums I can handle...

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I only have half of their 2017/2018 live releases. I must admit I don't listen to them very often.

5. Colin H

Colin H Forum Resident

King Crimson put so much product out, and much of it limited edition box sets and similar high-price items, that the brand has become the hub of something akin to a stamp-collecting fraternity. I don't say that pejoratively - merely an observation. I doubt the bulk of their monolithic box sets are often listened to, but by tapping brilliantly into their core fan base it's become a shared experience of hefty artefact creation and collection.

6. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

Oh please let me get tickets :cry:
    The show I caught in the London Palladium this year is possibly one of the best gigs I’ve been to. I absolutely must see them again- it was just a masterclass in playing

7. Colin H

Colin H Forum Resident

I met a woman a few weeks ago, the girlfriend of a touring musician, who said that she was taken along to a King Crimson show in the US by him recently. at the interval - opposite to almost any other event - there was a queue for the Gents... and she was entirely alone in the Ladies!

8. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Hahhaah id imagine they do a video release of this run of shows. 3 nights in a historic place like this - highly marketable and definitely one you’d wanna capture for posterity!

This in addition to the documentary they’re filming this year - much to come!

MungoMusic and Rne like this.
  9. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

If you’re surprised by this, you’ve obviously never been to a prog gig. :D

10. Bassmiket

Bassmiket Forum Resident

Fantastic news, I thought the recent UK tour was going to be the last time we would see KC here!

DaveJ and hoggydoggy like this.
  11. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I went to the gig in Manchester & was very pleasantly surprised to actually see a variety of red wine available at the interval, and to take into the gig - modern "prog" gigs definitely have their advantages!

Crimson jon likes this.
  12. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

No anthem songs, women can't dance to it, too cerebral. Nary a girlie in site. Not too many country and western fans there either.

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  13. moops

moops Senior Member

Robert, please invite Adrian and incorporate him into the entire show ........ I miss his guitar.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    DaverJ, Rfreeman, TSWisla and 5 others like this.
  14. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

I've been a big fan since Court was released. I bought each of the subsequent studio albums along with USA, the Great Deceiver box and a handful of the club albums. Post-Thrak I never listen to them. I bought the Toronto and Orpheum CDs mainly to get the new material - which frankly did nothing for me. I saw them in '73, '74 - twice, '82, '96 - twice. All were terrific shows. Then I saw the '00 tour and was extremely disappointed. I was hoping the new show would be better and it was, although I found the new stuff tedious and they didn't play Red. I seriously doubt I'll go again. If they went out as Bruford-Levin-Belew-Fripp again I'd be in the front row. I don't see that happening.

starfieldroad likes this.
  15. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Bruford will never do this. Maybe and just a wee maybe he showed up for a song or two, but reading over in his bio, he truly seems over it.

From his autbio in a brief from billbruford.com
    "Don't you miss it?" - Bill Bruford

August 26 1996: Last date with King Crimson. It’s been 22 years since I last played with KC, bless its heart, and it feels like I played with them only a couple of weeks ago. The last gig was a bit weird:

By the time we arrived at Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, Maryland, for the penultimate date of what had been a long three month tour through Europe, the US West Coast, down to Mexico, and all the way back up through the Midwest to the Northeast, my body was beginning to match my mood. At the sound check in Columbia, my left wrist began to give me a stabbing pain as I laid down the beat, and I feared I might permanently damage it. I played that evening as lightly as possible in the company of ice packs whenever possible, and the next day I flew down early to Philadelphia. The promoter had found me a hand surgeon, an elderly man with long experience in his calm, cool fingers. He silently, gently, and very slowly felt all over the wrist and palm area, his face remaining impassive. After what seemed like hours, he pronounced his initial diagnosis that this was not serious, it was only a strain that would cease when the tour ended, and he would take some X-rays to confirm. I performed my last concert with King Crimson at the Mann Center that evening: carefully, with the ubiquitous ice pack, and in a fog of painkillers. I didn’t know, exactly, that it was the end, but had I done, I would have known from the top of my brain and felt from the bottom of my heart that I could give no more to the Mighty Crim.”

“Don’t you miss it?” people sometimes ask me, when the conversation turns to my absence without leave from the platform. Well, which bit of it, exactly, might I be missing? The vast acreages of wasted time, just to get two hours behind a drum kit? Not much. The society, and even respect, of musical friends and other performers? Yes, a lot. The tedium of repetition, the staying up on the instrument, the hours spent practicing? Not a lot. The powerful outcome of some collective collaboration that lights up faces before me and spreads warmth and a tingle down the spine? Yes, I miss that massively. Do I miss the Screen of Shame? I don’t think so. You remember the Screen of Shame:
    [Whether King Crimson was a] double-trio or not, we were playing fresh, high quality music of our choosing to an appreciative audience of supporters, so it was a sadness to me to have to spend several months separated from them and my colleagues by the plastic Screen of Shame, especially since I am not the loudest of drummers, and I pride myself in my dynamic control and the ability to play appropriately to the sound that I’m hearing. I was too tired to be bothered to tell anyone, but to make thing worse, the angle of my screen caused it to act as a reflective mirror, so for a couple of months I had to stare at my own image for two hours nightly. The discomfort is readily visible in the excruciating footage of the band from around this time made available for posterity on a DVD called Deja Vrooom.

Do I miss the business as distinct from performance? I’m still very much in the business, whether I want to be or not. A day seldom goes past with business related to Yes, King Crimson, Summerfold and Winterfold, publishing and recordings, old and new colleagues and partners, stale old deals struck on my behalf four decades ago that determined so much of my future trajectory – all this stuff crosses my groaning desk on a daily basis. It’s like treacle, the music business: you can get stuck in there for ever. Like Hotel California, you can check out but you can never leave. Now of course it’s all legacy and ceremonies. I’ve been prevailed upon to introduce a Prog God (a what?!) on September 13th at the Prog Awards Ceremony in London. I really must get back to work before I lose it completely. BTW, quotes above are from ‘Bill Bruford The Autobiography’ (2009) London: Foruli.

DaveJ, bzfgt, Swingfingers and 8 others like this.
  16. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Ticket bought for night 3. I will be on line for general sale for nights 1 and 2.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  17. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Does anyone know if they have plans to tour the U.S. again? I caught them just about a year ago and would love to see them again.

18. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover Thread Starter

According to a recent Facebook response from Robert, yes they have US dates in 2019.

19. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Hopefully for a 50th Anniversary Show they can mix it up a bit with some old friends.

20. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Outstanding, thanks!

Jimbino likes this.
  21. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

No question about that!
    Wouldn't mind a trip across the pond to see the King in London, and then
    finally get my tale to Liverpool before I die.

22. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

In a typical example of bad timing (or luck), my wife and I will be in London for 10 days, leaving on the 16th. When I broached the idea of extending our visit to experience this she was supportive until she realized she would miss the New Kids on the Block concert in Toronto. Oh well, cant get lucky twice I guess (saw them in Edinurgh a few years back).

Marty T likes this.
  23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

So is Fripp tired of being at home with Toyah or what?

klockwerk and Frankh like this.
  24. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Seems like they're having the times of their lives.. THAT is a very good thing for us.
    Re: 2019 U.S. dates... anything actually listed anywhere ?
    I saw it does say 2019 Worldwide Tour on the DGM site.

I would tend to believe that 2019 will be the last chance for live KC.
    Given Fripp's pragmatic thought process, and time... that will in all probability be it.
    We'll see.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  25. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I have them all but I too rarely listen to them. Not enough variation for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.