Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

It's a pretty good album. The title, "Pot Luck" has Colonel Parker's fingerprints all over it. What a condescending title for a pretty good album. It's as if they are saying that this album is just junk to slop the fans with. Title aside, the album is overall strong with "Something Blue", "Suspicion", and "That's Someone You Never Forget" as my favorites.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Anything That's Part Of You really is a fantastic song and Elvis gives it a truly sublime vocal. That piano based arrangement is pretty great too. It should have been a bigger hit than it was given its sheer all around quality.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This gave me a chuckle as I love your wording here and it is so spot on! Was someone intentionally trying to sabotage Elvis career or were they just truly inept at their job?

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Very well put Dave, and I agree with your picks on the highlights of the album as well.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  5. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

The expanded version from 1999 greatly improved it!

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't think the Colonel had anything to do with the title, and I think you're reading a more negative connotation into it than intended. "Pot Luck" doesnt imply low quality, just variety. It fits with RCA's apparent plan to try to expand Elvis' audience and sell to adults. "Something for Everybody", "Pot Luck" and "Elvis for Everyone" are all titles cut from the same cloth... "Hey, he's not just rock and roll anymore! He does all kinds of different material!" In retrospect that seems a stupid strategy, but at the time there was still a belief that rock and roll was a fad that might come to an end, and that Elvis needed to diversify and broaden his audience to have a longer career.

I think the album itself begins to show some decline in material. There's nothing bad, but on the whole it's mostly second-tier stuff, with a few exceptions. All the great tracks were pulled for singles, and what was left was just good, not great, in my opinion.

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

That's fair, I really like the songs ... I just think all through his Post-army career his albums had pretty bad titles and pretty average covers.

RSteven likes this.
  8. SKATTERBRANE

I find the rockers Night Rider and Going To Get Back Home Somehow the biggest disappointments. The arrangements just don't rock say like King Of The Whole Wide World did. The standouts are Easy Question, Suspicion, I Feel That I've Known You Forever, and That's Someone You Never Forget.

It is weird but Pot Luck was included in the 5 disc collection Original Album Classics "At The Movies" and it states on the back ".....includes 5 of his film soundtracks...…"

I think they should have swapped Pot Luck for GI Blues from another Original Album Classics box.

Pot Luck was considered as a title for he album Speedway. I guess the Colonel had a short memory.

I think the album that never was "For The Asking" (released after his death anyway) is a stronger album than Pot Luck.

9. mark winstanley

Elvis Presley Backstage at The Auditorium - Holiday on Ice - March 9, 1962

[​IMG]

artfromtex likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

Elvis Presley - Backstage at The Ellis Auditorium : Holiday on Ice : March 9, 1962

[​IMG]

11. mark winstanley

12. mark winstanley

13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

15. mark winstanley

Kiss Me Quick
    Written By :
    Doc Pomus & Mort Shuman

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, June 25-26, 1961 : June 25, 1961. take 12

"Kiss Me Quick" is a song written by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, recorded by Elvis Presley on June 25, 1961, and released on June 5, 1962 through RCA as a part of the album Pot Luck.[1] The song, backed by "Something Blue", was released in the United Kingdom and Europe as a single by Elvis Presley with The Jordanaires on December 1962 through RCA Victor.[2] It was listed as number-one single for eight weeks, from June until July 1963, in Europe.

A 4-track extended play of the same name was released in 1964 in the Netherlands.[3] It features "Kiss Me Quick" and "Night Rider" on side one, and "Joshua Fit the Battle" and "Judy" on side two. The song is also featured on many of Elvis Presley's compilation and other or various artists' albums.

The song was covered by Austrian popular singer and composer, Udo Jürgens, who released his cover of the song many times and in many formats from 1963 on, by Japanese rock band, Sheena & The Rokkets, on the band's 1980 album Channel Good. "Kiss Me Quick" was also in the repertoires of German tenor, Peter Hofmann, who had a successful performance career within the fields of opera, rock, pop, and musical theatre,[4] and, of course, of Swedish Elvis impersonator, Eilert Pilarm.[5]
    -------------------------------------------------------
    This track is like a modified cha-cha, but I reckon it is a great track. It is really good fun and sung with a ton of personality. This track is a much better album opener than we had on the previous album. It's a little more uptempo and a little more playful and although it is a long way from his debut album in style, it still reflects the roots that he came from. For me this is a great track.

Iceman08 likes this.
  16. mark winstanley

Just For Old Time Sake
    Written By :
    Roy C. Bennett & Sid Tepper

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, March 18-20, 1962 : March 18, 1962. take 5

We move into the second song on the album, which has a sad reflective sound and is quite similar to Old Shep. Elvis has always handled the big ballad with aplomb and we see another good one here.

17. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The early 60s Elvis vocals have a personality to them that is unlike other Elvis eras.
    There is a likeability factor for him as a person that comes through that is far more prominent.

18. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I wholeheartedly agree. This music just makes you smile.

19. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I don't know for sure who came up with that title. I passed this album up for lesser Elvis albums (soundtrack albums) several times just based on the title. It would have been a great title a few years later for a Bob Marley or Cheech & Chong LP however. To me, the title is like scratching nails on a chalkboard. If they wanted to extend to metaphor further, they could have released the outtakes and flubs and call it "Lick The Spoon And Bowl".

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  20. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Bad album title and cover. This material, while not his A+ material, deserved MUCH better. I probably like this album more than most. I see it as part 3 of a Nashville trilogy. All of this Studio B material from 60-62 sounds so good and really puts me in a great mood. Next to prime "live" Elvis, this is my favorite era.

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

I really like this album, perhaps not his best, but it works as an album and has a great bunch of songs. He set the bar too high for himself I guess lol

artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  22. SKATTERBRANE

Album cover design I THINK was under the supervision of The Colonel. Yes, most of Elvis' album covers were pretty tacky. I think his best album covers were:
    For LP Fans Only
    Debut LP
    Elvis Golden Records
    From Elvis In Memphis
    On Stage
    His Hand In Mine
    Elvis TV Special
    In Person At The International Hotel
    (Yes, the TV Special provided 3 great album covers)
    Honorable mention: Something For Everybody

23. mark winstanley

Easy reference guide
    1959 home recording
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 23 1960
    Touch Of Gold Vol 3 EP

Mar 23 1960
    Stuck on you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Fame And Fortune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1960
    Elvis Is Back
    track 1 Make Me Know It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Girl Of My Best Friend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Will Be Home Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Dirty Dirty Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Thrill Of Your Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Soldier Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Girl Next Door Went a Walkin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Like A Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Reconsider Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 12 1960
    Elvis - Frank Sinatra show

Jul 5 1969

It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Mess O' Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1 1960
    GI Blues
    track 1 Tonight Is So Right For Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 What's She Really Like Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Frankfort Special Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 GI Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Pocket Full Of Rainbows Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Shoppin' Around Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Big Boots Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Didja Ever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Blues Suede Shoes (revisited) Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Doin' The Best I Can Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1 1960
    Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Live 1972 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    I Gotta Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 23 1960
    His Hand In Mine
    track 1 His Hand In Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I;m Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 In My Fathers House Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Milky White Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I Believe In The Man In The Sky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Joshua Fit The Battle Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 He Knows Just What I Need Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mansion On the Hilltop Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 If We Never Meet Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Working On The Building Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 7 1961
    Surrender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Lonely Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

March 25 1961
    Pearl Harbour Concert - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

April 21 1961
    Flaming star EP
    track 1 Flaming Star Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Summer Kisses Winter Tears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 2 1961
    I Feel So Bad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Wild In The country Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 19 1961
    Something For Everybody
    track 1 There's Always Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Give Me The Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 It's A Sin Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Sentimental Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Starting today Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Gently Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 I'm Comin' Home Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 In your Arms Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Put The Blame On Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Judy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I Want You With Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

August 8 1961
    His Latest Flame Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Little Sister Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

October 20 1961
    Blue Hawaii
    track 1 Blue Hawaii Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Almost always True Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Aloha Oe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 No More Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Can't help Falling in love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Rock a-hoola baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Moonlight Swim Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Ku'uipo Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Ito Eats Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Slicin' Sand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Hawaiian Sunset Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Beach Boy blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 Island Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 14 Hawaiian Wedding Song Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

November 21 1961
    Can't help falling in Love/Rock-a-Hula Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

February 27 1962
    Good Luck Charm Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Anything That's A Part Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

April 1962
    Follow That Dream EP
    track 1 Follow That Dream Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Angel Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 What a Wonderful Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I'm Not The Marrying Kind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

June 5 1962
    Pot Luck
    track 1 Kiss Me Quick Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Just For Old Time Sake Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

24. mark winstanley

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The term "pot luck" can imply variety (like a smorgasbord) or it can imply "whatever was available." I'm pretty sure they intended the title to be taken in the former capacity rather than the latter. I don't think they were intending to suggest barrel scrapings or leftovers. I do agree it's not a great title, at any rate.
    I'm pretty sure I read that it was RCA who did all the album design and track sequencing. The Colonel simply provided the photos (and charged RCA a fee for the use of the photos).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.