New Rega Planar 3 sounds...OK

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pretty.Odd., Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

This is exactly what I was going to tell you. Do that right away.
    -Bill

2. Anodyne Jones

Anodyne Jones Forum Resident

this is a pure nonsense post...imo..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    HBJ, IanL, Fishoutofwater and 3 others like this.
  3. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I am not sure why Rega draws so many trolls. My favorites are the ones that claim that Regas are made poorly because they do not have heavy plinths. I refer those folks to Mr. Einstein. E=mc2. Increase the mass, increase the energy. Gandy is no fool.

HBJ, rischa, Fishoutofwater and 5 others like this.
  4. Anodyne Jones

Pree-Cicesly. i have owned 3 Regas and i have an order ready for the new Planar 8.

no hum, no distortion, no headaches.

i think Gandy & Co. mess with audiophile minds because rhey are designed ro minimize stress and maximize
    music enjoyment. this goes agaisnt the clenched teeth, angst ridden process that ‘philes seem to love.

5. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb Thread Starter

Are 25inch speaker stands tall enough? Looking at stands that are 25 inches tall. My speakers are 16 inches tall

6. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb Thread Starter

SirMarc, Fishoutofwater and thxphotog like this.
  7. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Try to get the tweeters at ear level for your seating position.

benzo, bluesaddict and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Better yet, try to get the speakers at the height that sounds best to you from where you normally listen. Looks like the OP already ordered 36" stands, but I'd advise testing first with a stool or something and some books to determine what is the best height by moving your head up and down to zero in on the best sounding position.

bluesaddict and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  9. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

This. After reading the reviews and wanting a Rega for years, I finally pulled the trigger on the Planar 3 earlier this year, but it almost didn't happen after hearing it with the Elys II at my dealer's showroom. I don' think it's horrible but for $200 it is a rip off and you can do better. It definitely is dark sounding, dull, and un-involving. And this was through a high end Hegel amplifier and Tube Box DS. I bought the P3 entirely on hope that a different $200 cart would sound much better, and I was not wrong: the 2M Blue I got mates well with the tonearm and sounds much better than the Elys. I don't feel the need to upgrade.

10. Speakers and listening position should all be in an equilateral triangle for optimum sound.

11. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

Did you use a 2mm spacer? I’m asking because i have a p3 also and have a 2m bronze at hand to replace the Elyse... also from the looks of it, if i would highten the tonearm with 2mm, I cannot close the dustcover anymore...

12. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

E=mc^2 is not even remotely applicable here. It is a formula to calculate the energy that is released when a mass m is converted into radiation.

SandAndGlass and displayname like this.
  13. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I tried the Elys 2 on my P3(2000) and I didn't like the sound at all. I found myself listening to vinyl less and less. I went back to the Ortofon 2M Bronze and it sounds much better. Another factor to consider is the record itself. Let's face it, a lot of vinyl records sound pretty awful, both old and new. As with any playback system, it's garbage in, garbage out.

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You can only raise the arm so high before the counterweight reaches the top of the cover. Most every table will allow for 2mm, despite what it may look like at first glance. If it is too tight or you need to go higher, you can add some tiny rubber bumpers to the corner of the plinth where the dust cover contacts to raise the cover by the height of the bumpers. That is practically invisible and allows more space without having to remove the cover for use. many tables from eras past came with bumpers installed, not to raise the cover but to lower resonance and save scuff marks. So it may have other benefits for you as well.
    -Bill

HiFi Guy and Memphisflash like this.
  15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Elys has a darker or warmer voicing than many cartridges, so it is really a nice fit for a brighter system or a neutral one that can be a tad too revealing on poor recordings. Your phono preamp and amp lean to the warmer side of neutral, so adding a warmer source is not going to be the best fit unless you want the whole to be very warm, as in the case that you had horribly bright and bass lacking speakers or a room that did not support bass well. I like the Elys in many systems and for the average Joe who uses a receiver and big box store speakers, etc, it makes for a very welcome dose of calm. In higher end systems and systems growing in resolving ability and tonal capabilities, there are more neutral and revealng cartridge options. One glove doesn't fit all hands.
    -Bill

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

An expert speaks....LOL :cheers:

17. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

Thanks Bill, some good tips!

displayname and KT88 like this.
  18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You are welcome.
    -Bill

Memphisflash likes this.
  19. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Problem with night and day expectations. You could have had a well performing AT120. As my grand pappy used to say - sometimes a turntable is like a watch....

Pretty.Odd. and patient_ot like this.
  20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yep!

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  21. Anodyne Jones

+1000

just spun a vintage CAPITAL pressing of John Lennon/Imagine..pristine copy..and it was...underwhelming.

just not a great sounding record..

22. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Is this a setup or what? :D

23. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Agreed with the many posters here that the P3 should be sounding loads better than your old table. Move the speakers, new cart and youll be singing Regas praises soon!

Fishoutofwater and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

You do realize that your understanding of Gandy's argument is the opposite of what he argues right? Gandy argues that energy that gets "sunk" into high mass plinths dissipates into that mass, is essentially swallowed up by that mass and lost.

25. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

No offense intended but if you had those issues, you likely did something wrong in your setup. Regas Dont have "distorted sound". I've owned 4 of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.