Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The more you analyze the ending the more you realize how brilliant it was. I didn't mind it when it first aired, and had a similar reaction to you. But on further reflection I appreciated the genius behind the finale and realize that any other ending would not have been respectful to the characters and the audience alike.

If GoT has an equally brilliant but controversial ending, that would be fine with me.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I was joking of course. Brilliant series that kick started imo really great television dramas.

3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

While some didn't care for it, I enjoyed season 7. BUT....as I mentioned upthread, I watched ep.5,6,&7 from season 1, a few days ago. WOW! The difference between the 2 seasons (1&7) was jarring! The difference is, of course, GRR Martin's incredible writing.

For a brilliant and controversial ending, they need G.R.R. Martin! Sadly, I don't see that happening.

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm not sure I agree that the show's success are all attributable to Martin. The earlier seasons by definition had to focus on character development for a huge cast and did not have budget for battle scenes. The last season in particular had to start paying off the development with large-scale battles one after another in ways that wouldn't have been possible in earlier seasons for many reasons. Don't get me wrong, Martin is brilliant but he started to telegraph things badly in favor of (to summarize perhaps unfairly) females, dwarf and fat guys. I think the writers for the show are talented enough to come up with something fresh while maintaining and staying true to Martin's world.

5. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Benioff & Weiss have done excellent writing beyond what was in the books. There is a wonderful scene in the first season (episode 5) between Cersei and Robert (the "Which is the bigger number? Five or one?" scene) that was beautifully written (and acted). That was completely Benioff & Weiss, as neither Cersei nor Robert was a POV character in the first book. Another example would be the excellent scenes between Tywin Lannister and Arya in season two. In the books, Roose Bolton is running things at Harrenhal and Arya becomes his cupbearer. Changing that to Tywin and writing those great scenes ("Anyone can be killed.") was all Benioff & Weiss. They have talents of their own.

I think the difference in writing in the last couple of seasons is just down to the pacing of the plot accelerating and the focus turning away a bit from the politics and "talky scenes" and more towards the Great War. There were still some great scenes in season seven. The scene in which Jon and Daenerys meet (7x03) is almost ten minutes long and full of complex dynamics as the characters all try to feel each other out.

Encuentro and Chris from Chicago like this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That's why I'm going in with a little 'disenchantment':
    I'm sure all the money to make the 'Great War' GREAT....is not gonna impress me as much as ALL those characters meeting (and reuniting), talking out all that they've been through.... THAT would be be more entertaining for me...
    I suspect there's not gonna be enough of THAT for me!...but, that's me...

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  7. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I've never been much of a predictor of what's to happen in shows or movies. Now... that could be because i'm bad at it. Therefore why should I bother? But with this show I never even try. Too many unpredictable things have happened to even offer an educated guess.

If i were to ask each one of us to name the five most likely to be sitting on the Iron Throne when it's all over...i bet we couldn't even agree on that.

Let's see...

Dany
    Jon
    Tyrion
    Bran
    Cersei

Could it be someone else? Of course.

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The most obvious "someone elses" are Night King (or is this really Bran somehow?), Sam, Podrick, Arya or Sansa.

9. Chris from Chicago

You're probably right. Although I don't see what stake Sam could possibly really have. But... that's going by the rules as we currently know them. This show could change what we know in a hurry and turn the tables

10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

HBOGO? o_O

11. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not sure the Iron Throne will even end up being terribly important. The world of Westeros is still many decades away from being able to enact anything similar to a democracy, but I could still see the system as it currently stands changing somehow at the end of the story. We've kind of been shown (in vivid detail) why a monarchy in Westeros is flawed and why there need to be some real reforms in the current system.

But if I had to guess if things do end up with someone "winning" (though any win will come with a price), I would like to see Jon and Daenerys ruling together. They both have arcs which are all about them learning to lead and we have seen how their methods, instincts and experiences balance each other out in season seven. I think they would make good ruling duel monarchs, like William and Mary. Some think this is too happy an ending for the show, but I think people seriously overestimate how tragic this series is or will end. Martin is a massive Tolkien fan and Lord of the Rings does not end in tragedy, but in realistic wistfulness.

I am also almost 100% positive that Dany will be pregnant after all the foreshadowing last season, so their child could take the throne after them and that solves the problem of succession. It would also mean a Targaryen Restoration, and we know how much George loves the Targs. He just published a massive book about them.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  12. Chris from Chicago

While it's certainly a possibility that it ends as (one of the ways) you suggest (duel monarchs) it seems too much of a happy ending. GOT doesn't exactly scream warm and fuzzy.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I doubt it. He will die and in a bad way.

My bet is Jon lives (I mean, he’s already died once, so how anticlimactic would another death be?).

Most will die. I’d wager Jon, Sam, Arya, and some version of Bran survives. That’s it. Daenerys is definitely a goner.

GentleSenator likes this.
  14. Not in Canada.

15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It's on Crave (Bell) if you have that.

kevywevy likes this.
  16. Thanks but I don't. I'm on Shaw satellite.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Get lots of girls with guns though, huh? ;)

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it'd better end like it started: grimly. this show shouldn't have some heroic ending. if it does, i think it proves these two goofs were absolutely out of their element without GRRM work to work from.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I forgot about this...

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think calling Benioff and Weiss “these two goofs” after the job they’ve done turning Martin’s books into a massively popular, entertaining and award winning series, is tremendously insulting.

21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

There is one way he could be sitting on the throne at the end: if he became totally malevolent and evil. The show has been driving at that all along, in many ways, to see a character go from pure and righteous to totally corrupt and evil. Even more than Jon or Dany, Tyrion is the one who could flip like this with Dinklage pulling off a rousing character portrayal of it. Martin has made interesting comments that make me think Tyrion is a possibility. But Perhaps Arya or Sansa could pull it off too.

My bet is Jon lives (I mean, he’s already died once, so how anticlimactic would another death be?).

Most will die. I’d wager Jon, Sam, Arya, and some version of Bran survives. That’s it. Daenerys is definitely a goner.[/QUOTE]

It's tough to say. There will be twists and turns. Dany has been showing increasing ability to go evil, so having her on the throne at the end is still possible if the show ends on a dark note, in a similar manner I described . Likewise, I think you're right that Jon will live but maybe he will flip too. Meanwhile Jamie is going the opposite way, toward being righteous and just. He abandoned Circi last we saw, so if the show wants to end with sunshine and rainbows, Jamie might be the choice if he's able to vanquish the Night King/white walkers and sever the power couple of Dany and Jon. This would be redemption for the incestuous life he previously led, but the show tends to avoid wrapping things up so neatly.

Podrick is a strong choice too, given how hard the show has tried to make him seem humble and anonymous.

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Interesting thoughts. I enjoy reading stuff such as this. Good to think upon. Thanks!

23. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Finally!

Stopped at season 4.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

It's tough to say. There will be twists and turns. Dany has been showing increasing ability to go evil, so having her on the throne at the end is still possible if the show ends on a dark note, in a similar manner I described . Likewise, I think you're right that Jon will live but maybe he will flip too. Meanwhile Jamie is going the opposite way, toward being righteous and just. He abandoned Circi last we saw, so if the show wants to end with sunshine and rainbows, Jamie might be the choice if he's able to vanquish the Night King/white walkers and sever the power couple of Dany and Jon. This would be redemption for the incestuous life he previously led, but the show tends to avoid wrapping things up so neatly.

Podrick is a strong choice too, given how hard the show has tried to make him seem humble and anonymous.[/QUOTE]
    Jamie ? Hell yeah !!!!

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Last season was definitely rushed.

This season probably more so.

Seasons 2-4 are still my favorites.

klockwerk and Tokyo Ghost like this.