Audio Note Kit DAC 2.1 Build

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DyersEve726, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy Thread Starter

It's not a bad idea to have spares anyhow (my ECL82 busted on me during assembly, so not sure how I feel about the durability of that EH tube). I ordered NOS Mullards of both PSU tubes at tube depot for I think about $50 each. Worth a shot, but hopefully Brian will actually get you a solid answer instead of you having to shoot in the dark on this.

2. jdodmead

jdodmead Forum Resident

I finally got Brian on the phone and he said my missing parts are coming direct from Parts Connexion except the hardware, Brian is shipping those out. He had me send him some pics of the board without the tubes so he could double check the resistors. He said he would call me tonight and we'd check some more measurements.:)
    I re-soldered the lugs for the tube sockets, just in case, still getting 150 vac.

3. jdodmead

jdodmead Forum Resident

I keep saying vac, but it's vdc:doh:

4. DyersEve726

So, I had a bunch of distortion and sound cut outs in my right channel and blamed the dac cause, well, tubes. Turns out, it was my Hint. I switched to my AV setup and had the same problem through the HT Bypass. Restarting the amp fixed the problem, however, I'm wary. This is all going through analog inputs, so what would cause something like that that a "reboot" would fix? Makes me very nervous about the Parasound possibly going bad.

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Are you listening to the CD version or high-res (24/96) version of "All Ashore"?

I just got the CD of "All Ashore" a day ago. And today I got the 24/96 version from Bandcamp (it's only $9). The whispering on "The Angel of Doubt" is more powerful in the 24/96 version than the CD when listening on my original version Schiit Gungnir Multibit. I'm curious if the ANK DAC is managing to get the CD version of "The Angel of Doubt" to sound like what I'm hearing with the Gumby DAC and 24/96? Reviews and comments about the AK DACs (and I assume the ANK DACs) is that they get CD to sound as good as high-res. My Gumby DAC doesn't quite give that experience. I still hear a noticeable difference between CD and high-res with some recordings. Which leads me to wondering would I hear similar differences between CD and high-res with an AK or ANK DAC? Would an AK or ANK DAC get the CD version of "All Ashore" to sound as good as I hear the 24/96 version on my Gumby DAC? I wonder? Only way for me to find out would be to have both DACs on hand to hear. Not likely to happen soon. But I still wonder.

6. DyersEve726

I've was listening to the 24/96 version, however I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference. My 16/44 content all sounds equally fantastic and I won't be bothering with the 24/96 versions of albums anymore. The 2.1 is only 18 bit anyway. I also cannot compare the two, unfortunately. I seriously condisdered the Gumby, but doubt I'll be hearing one anytime soon. I am beyond satisfied with the 2.1 and would probably only trade it for a higher end ANK build or a genuine AN DAC. I have an unhealthy attachment to it :D

7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

You should try the CD version of "All Ashore" and see if you do hear a difference. Although the difference I hear with "All Ashore" is pretty slight. The difference is more about how the music feels and flows than in how the audio is heard. There are other albums where I hear a more noticeable difference between CD and high-res (Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" has a more noticeable difference). And the bit depth of the DAC isn't important. The Gumby is 19 bits. The Modi Multibit is 16 bits. I'm able to hear a difference between CD and high-res with the Modi Multibit even though it's only 16 bits. So don't cut your ANK DAC short just because it's not able to say it is fully 24-bit in its specs.

I am curious though about how well an AK or ANK DAC does with 16/44.1 compared to high-res on Schiit multibit. Does the AK or ANK narrow the gap or even eliminate the gap? I don't know. The only way I'll find out is to listen to both. Don't know when, or if, I'll get that chance.

And I'm not trying to talk you into trying or getting a Gumby. The ANK is doing you well. I'm trying to talk myself into being open about trying an AK or ANK for myself.

8. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

I have read through this thread with a combination of horror and enjoyment. A bumpy but happy ending journey for the OP. I have ordered a ANK L5 preamp kit and they are still putting the kit together. Hopefully shipping out soon. Now it is making me more anxious if it will go well as I want this to be project for the winter break.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Brave soul.

Doug Walton, Manimal and SirMarc like this.
  10. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

jmpsmash and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

The kit does look good and the L5 is a bit less complicated than the DAC so hopefully they will get all the part right. I wish I had seen this thread before I order then I might have more reservation.

Keeping my fingers crossed and will post a build thread for everyone's entertainment. :)

Tlay and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Mark broadhead

I really enjoyed building my kit. I am sure you will too.

jmpsmash likes this.
  13. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

That was also how I experienced differences with my DACs before I got my AN DAC. Sometimes perhaps a slightly better definition of the recording venue (for classical music). With my AN DAC, I also don't bother about hires. To my ears, hi-res doesn't sound worse, as some AN owners feel, but it doesn't seem to bring more to the table than redbook.

14. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

I've received most of the parts for the kits I ordered. I received the phono kit first and a few weeks later the L3 EL84 int. kit. He has been swamped, but surprised me with some nice upgrades for the wait. I was missing a number of resistors and some parts for the phono, then the other kit came with a bunch of resistors missing also. I got most of the resistors for the phono in a separate shipment and hope to receive the ones for the EL84 amp soon. Some patience may be required, but it should be worth it in the end.

jmpsmash likes this.
  15. DyersEve726

Seems like he'd be a lot less swamped and more profitable if he put all the correct parts in the box to begin with and updated the instructions to avoid unnecessary emails and phone calls (not to mention giving free upgrades to placate angry customers). My kit required three separate packages from ANK for incorrect or missing parts, one from parts express, and another from AN for the digital board. It sure sounds like they mess up on pretty much every order and getting it right the first time would save himself a lot of work, I would assume. With that said, I love the end product...a LOT. It just wasn't the "luxury" experience you'd expect from kits at these price points.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Kyhl, jmpsmash, Encore and 1 other person like this.
  16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I bought my ANK L4 EL based kit amp. from another member, who had it professionally assembled.

It had one read speaker terminal for each channel and two black ones. I thought that it was odd, that they did not have the correct parts.

After having this thread go as long as it has and reading through the posts here, I realize how fortunate that this appears the only thing wrong.

Of course, we don't know what issues may have preceded the finished amp, during the kit construction phase.

Yes, the the L4 is a fine sounding amp, but the mere thought of building anything from them as a kit is more than I care to consider.

As you say, they seem to mess up every kit they sell. I find this a bit on the incredulous side.

A company sells a kit that can not be built because it does not have the correct parts nor the correct directions.

jmpsmash likes this.
  17. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

That was exactly my thought too. He seem to have hired someone to help him (given there was a post he claimed the guy packed the wrong tube). So maybe hire someone who'll spend more time and be more responsible with stuffing the kits, then he will be able to save the time and money of dealing with customers and have to pay extra shipping here and there for missing parts.

It is also interesting maybe he is trying to save money for US customer by ordering from US part supplier. Wouldn't just sourcing the parts locally be cheaper?

18. DyersEve726

All these things have gone through my head, lol. I can understand sourcing the digital board direct from AN, but things like capacitors and resistors (and the binding posts that @SandAndGlass mentioned) that you can buy in huge rolls at a discount make no sense to me. It can't save him any money ordering 2-4 resistors from a US retailer and paying separate shipping. Plus it's frustrating as a customer waiting for your parts to arrive staggered and with no tracking info.

As far as quality control goes, I am baffled. How hard is it to pack the correct tubes and resistor values? It's not rocket science, and dang near everyone that's mentioned working on an AN Kit has said they've gotten incorrect or missing parts. It's not a fluke or a one time incident...its a rampant disregard for quality control. I hate feeling the need to speak so poorly of them, but the fact that I'm currently helping another user through the confusing parts of a DAC build (instead of Brian) speaks volumes. It shouldn't be necessary to outsource assistance to random forum users.

Encore and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

Really glad that I bought my 2.1 already assembled after hearing all of this. It's a phenomenal sounding piece of gear for the money and highly revealing of the tubes used. I liked it with EH 6922's, found it better still with Genelex's, even better with Voshkod's. Then I splurged on a pair of Amperex 7308 gold pins. These things are absolutely amazing in this DAC.

20. Mark broadhead

I have to admit to thinking the same - as you say, it is not difficult, especially since there are parts lists in each separate packet. The missing parts came from Hifi Collective in the UK, who no longer list his kits. I suspect they did not stock them but took a commission on any sales.

I will also re-iterate that IMHO those AN copper film output caps really hold it back.

21. DyersEve726

I do remember you saying that, but trying to be satisfied with what I have at the moment, lol. Trying...I did look up the Jupiter caps I believe you suggested. Are these the ones you'd recommend replacing them with if I ever decide to do so? - Copper Foil Paper & Wax Capacitors | Jupiter Condenser

22. Mark broadhead

Those are the very ones - not too pricey compared with Deulands and one or two others. You'd probably get back most of the money selling the AN's..

23. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

Are ppl not into Jensen paper in oil capacitors anymore? It used to be the thing to have back 10-15 yrs ago.

24. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

I'm really excited that I was upgraded to the Jupiters. I might get to build tomorrow and hopefully get somewhere on them. I built the PSU last week, but I need to change out some resistors that were subbed and too low of a value...

25. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

He mentioned that he is trying to get all the kits out the door by end of the month. Which doesn't bode well for ppl who is hoping to get their kit on time. When did you order?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.