Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ending will be bittersweet, not tragic. That is what GRRM has said from the beginning, as the ending of LOTR was bittersweet. That means there will be sadness and death, but it does not mean that every single character will get a brutal, depressing ending. Frodo gets PTSD, never fully recovers from his experiences and journeys to the afterlife with the elves...but Sam gets to go home to Shire and start a family with Rosie. That's life. There is good and bad.

That's also true of A Song of Ice and Fire. There is good and bad that happens and that's how the show will end. Many will die, but some will carry on and serve as the bearers of a new future ("a dream of spring") in Westeros. The ending is also coming from George R.R. Martin's own outline, so Benioff & Weiss are not crafting their own ending at all. As always, they are adapting GRRM.

klockwerk likes this.
  2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

can't adapt what hasn't been written. the lord of the rings this is not.

i'm sorry

3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

HBO would have loved to adapt what he wrote. The problem was he took a very long hiatus from writing. Still, HBO went out of the way to consult with him and make sure what they were doing was kosher with him. Producing for the screen is a lot different than writing a book, and Benioff and Weiss have it down to a science. They are extremely gifted in ways Martin is not, just as he's gifted in ways they are not.

GentleSenator likes this.
  4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm sure yr aware that before Martin wrote a single syllable of GOT, he was a television scriptwriter for many years. I've read critiques saying that his tv experience greatly improved his book-writing abilities!

Regardless of whatever accommodations HBO's made for him, things seem awfully frosty between them now. Last year in an interview he said he felt no obligations to continue the saga along HBO's guidelines. Basically saying his ending may be completely different from the tv show. Why am I thinking this might be a brilliant idea!?;)

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Wow, how long did it take you and how do you find the time?

6. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

It's taken us about 4 weeks, which is far quicker than we thought, so we'll probably have to watch it again before April, given the state of my memory these days! :)

All Down The Line likes this.
  7. Parachute Woman

My rewatch took me about a month. It goes by quite quickly, as there are only 10 or fewer episodes per season. I just watched an episode or two an evening and a few more on the weekends.

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Slightly off-topic dept.:
    I'd like to tell you about a "Throney"-fan who, sadly, died last month...
    The man was Hardy Fox; officer of The Cryptic Corporation, and (admitted by himself) member of The Residents!
    It was in these past few years, as his health got bad, that he admitted to us 'hard-core Rez-lovers' that is was HE that we all were talking to, in the Rz-Chat on their web-site...and we talked "Thrones" quite a lot to each other.
    I can only hope he gets HBO in the after-life!

psubliminal likes this.
  9. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Exactly the same as us. You can do a season and a half/two seasons in a week, easily.

10. Parachute Woman

I hate to hear stories like this, about folks who loved stories and didn't live to see the end of their telling. RIP, Hardy Fox.

vince likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Thanks, I didn't realize that. It seems he got a couple jobs writing for TV through a connection after many years writing fiction and pursued it mostly because the pay was better. Clearly he is a fiction-writer first and a screen writer (distant) second. But even among TV companies, HBO has a top-tier track record in creating content and hiring the right people. The people put in place by HBO (including Benniof and Weiss) deserve a lot of credit above and beyond Martin.

Yes, I'm sure it will be great for all parties, keeping his doors open, selling more books and maybe another TV or movie deal, and keeping HBO's lawyers busy if he runs afoul of any contract. I certainly don't fault him for snubbing HBO and putting his writing duties on the back burner, but it had to be extremely frustrating for those working on the show.

alexpop likes this.
  12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I think the pace of the show is far better without having to track Martin's books. The books needed to be edited-heavily, in my estimation. (particularly volume 4, which was all collateral and halved from its original size and still far too long and slow even after that). A much loved show here, despite the fact that the intervals between seasons were very long (I know, cost and complexity, but there is something lost with the passage of time-- I haven't rewatched, but would think this show might be even more enjoyable as a binge watch than as a regular viewer anticipating each season).

GodShifter and GregM like this.
  13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Totally agree. Who has time or patience for the books? And waiting a week between episodes and a year or two between seasons has also tried everyone's patience. I'm hoping to abstain from GoT for another year until I can binge my way through the entire thing. Wish me luck. It will be hard to resist the compulsion of subscribing to HBO for the final season, and holding out for the blu-ray set.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i appreciate what you're saying. i just feel that season 7 demonstrated otherwise. so much nonsense, too much bombast.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I found it very logical, actually, and battle scenes are bombastic by definition. I think a lot had to happen in season 7 because of how slow the show was moving prior to that (with the exception of Dany, who was making great strides, and of Jaime who was kind of going in the opposite trajectory). Jon had been cooped up north at the wall for basically the entire show, Sansa and Arya were likewise stuck in one rut or another with very little progression in their arc and moving very slowly. So Jon's stint with the night's watch had to end and there had to be a reunion. There also had to be a meeting of Dany and Jon and winter had to start in a serious way. You can argue it was all anticlimactic, but the character development had long since ended, and HBO needed to put the pieces in place for the endgame.

16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it definitely felt like a table setting season, i agree. i always liked the show's balance of drama and excitement. season seven seemed designed to please those who were bored by storytelling. i'm just saying a little nuance goes a long way.

17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think it was as I said: designed to put the pieces in place for the endgame. So it had to be sped up a lot, especially since the season had so few episodes. Yet they found plenty of room for nuance IMO: the meeting between Jon and Dany, the whole Sansa/Arya/Littlefinger subplot, which had me guessing right up to the throat-cut. The increasing alienation of Jaime and his sister. Plenty of poetry in those episodes.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Martin can say what he wants about how his book ending might differ from the tv series but here’s the thing: how will we ever know? He’s never going to finish the damn series. Let’s get real.

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Season 7 was fun, it felt like GOT/lite. They're obviously spending A LOT more money, just not on the writing!;)

20. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

BSG. Worst ending I can remember of any decent programme.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

What is BSG?

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  22. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Battlestar Galactica. The remake of the 70's tv show of the same name.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

BONO-sodium glutamate?......

24. Parachute Woman

Next teaser for the final season. Just an atmospheric visual piece. Again, no new footage (but this how they have done marketing for the last few seasons...We get a teaser for the teaser, then another teaser and then finally an actually trailer with some actual clips from the new season. At this point, I would predict full trailer around Super Bowl time).

Interestingly, the dragon and the wolf both freeze...but the lion burns. Make of that what you will. More for GOT fans to speculate on for the next couple of months!

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Which side wins??? ICE or FIRE?