Neil Young & Bob Dylan in Hyde Park 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arthurprecarious, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

That pretty much sums up my opinion as well for POTR.
    I like the quote from Ralph Molina “he just doesn’t get cosmic”.
    I think Neil is really underchalenged with POTR, that’s why it’s a bit dull.

RoyalPineapple and Spadeygrove like this.
  2. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I'll be there.

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Not “Wiggle Wiggle.” The Under The Red Sky song the band SHOULD kick into certainly must be:

mark ab likes this.
  4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the shows I’ve seen at Hyde Park. It is definitely more of a festival experience as opposed to an arena show of hardcore fans but last year’s Paul Simon show was one of the best concerts I’ve seen in 30 years. Before that I saw Tom Petty’s final show and a few years back Paul Simon again doing the Graceland 25th anniversary tour. I’ll be at this show as I’ve never seen Neil live and it’s on my wishlist (Dylan I saw in Prague in the early 2000s and it was pretty dire but I love his music so hoping for the best).
    I also hope that Springsteen will be one of the headliners on another night...

arthurprecarious likes this.
  5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Is Neil still paying for Pono or his divorce?

Bit out of character for a non-charity Neil show that affordable tickets can't get you anywhere near the stage.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  6. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Neil's property had a lot of damage from the Malibu fire.

7. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

While your assessment is perfectly logical, it's been my experience, in the dozen or so times I've seen him, that he tends to put on much better shows when there are high expectations (w/ Tom Petty in '84/'85, w/ Paul Simon in 1999, at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo in 2002, etc.). He might surprise you here and put on a truly great performance. But with Bob, there's no telling...

8. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident Thread Starter

Been to 4 different shows at HP and it has shortcomings (mainly crowd behaviour) but I like it. You can usually find a good place to see and hear, easy to get to and always good value. So £78 for Bob and Neil? Great! Sound for Roger Waters last year was outstanding. I'm an old git now so standing all day can be tough. Looking forward to it.

Beaneydave likes this.
  9. arthurprecarious

Wow! Whilst Crazy Horse will always be my favourite way to see and hear Neil I don't know how anyone could say Neil and POTR don't "fit together" or describe them as "dull". For me they are pretty much a perfect fit.

10. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Dylan was amazing that night. Blew The Stones off the stage. And I’m a massive Stones fan, that was my 19th show.

11. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I’m with “ Arthur” on this Hyde Park put on a great show and it’s as comfortable as an outdoor gig can be. As for Neil and POTR I saw them at Leeds and it was a much better show than the last time I saw him with the Horse. Much as I love the Horse that last show was more than a bit indulgent !
    Also hope Neil closes the night as Bob’s show is hardly “ outdoor large crowd Festival closing material “these days!
    Got my ticket & looking forward to it.

peace and love✌Dave

FangfossFlyer, oxegen and Porkpie like this.
  12. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I would 100% agree with “Oxegen ‘s” comments I too was there this year and thought it was great. Most relaxing out door gig I’ve been too. Come and go as you please and not packed in like sardines!
    If one can afford it it’s worth doing and you can always visit other areas of the “venue” too to have a look around. I’ve got me ticket for this year too.

peace and love✌Dave

oxegen likes this.
  13. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

OK.... So I've gone for the General Admission tickets.... Have I wasted my money? Will I actually be able to see or hear anything other than the drunk bloke next to me yelling for "Heart of Gold" or "Mr Tambourine Man"?

14. SoundAdvice

Has Dylan done a evening(ie: after dark) set at a 50,000+ venue since the 90's? Woodstock 94 being one.

15. Razzle123

Razzle123 Forum Resident

So am I! I'm going to try to sell my tickets I think

16. arthurprecarious

Desert Trip?

Beaneydave likes this.
  17. arthurprecarious

If you like Bob & Neil you haven't wasted your money. You can get relatively close to the stage if you work at it. On top of that they have big screens (though Bob may not use them). As I said in an earlier post - the sound last year for Roger Waters was phenomenal - best I've ever heard at an outdoor show. Go filled with positivity and you'll love it.

Beaneydave, FangfossFlyer and Rigsby like this.
  18. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

As much as I like Neil Young, and have followed him for nearly 40 years, I still cannot get enthusiastic about his playing with POTR.

I haven’t yet seen them live together, only watched video, but to my ears POTR are too deferential and sycophantic to Neil.

They never seem to have anything to say musically. All they do is chug away in the background like a train engine.

Having said all that, I may still go to the Hyde Park gig and will be very glad to be proven wrong.

19. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

Thanks. I love Neil and Bob and I'm sure I will enjoy it. I have seen Neil 3 times, the Trans Tour in '82, Life Tour in '87 and most recently in 2013. Was a little disappointed in the latter, too many sprawling long songs (and not his best ones) and a quite plodding. I reckon POTR will bring a bit more energy to the show. Haven't seen Dylan and have very low expectations, so I'm unlikely to be disappointed! At the end of the day, it's Dylan up there and that's enough for me! He doesn't owe anybody anything and probably doesn't care anyway. Gawd bless him!

Razzle123 likes this.
  20. arthurprecarious

There's your answer. On record they don't get near Neil's best but live, together, they are sensational. They give Neil everything he needs and can play anything he wants. Yes, I prefer The Horse and their magic can't be recreated by anyone else. I'd urge you to see him with POTR.

JumpinJimF and FangfossFlyer like this.
  21. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I'm seeing Seinfeld at 21:30 so I may audaciously try and just see Bob and then catch Seinfeld

Razzle123 likes this.
  22. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Whatever the downsides of the 2013 tour (stomp stomp stomp!), I don't think there was any lack of energy.

Look at them jumping around here (go to 8:45 onwards) like it's 1996:

If anything, the switch to POTR was accompanied by a notable drop in energy, both musical and physical. I think mostly this is due to Neil simply having less musical space to inhabit due to the surplus of other instruments.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  23. SoundAdvice

Desert Trip was about 6:50 to 8pm for Dylan.

24. Razzle123

Razzle123 Forum Resident

Tickets on-sale now in Ticketmaster presale - just got mine

25. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Have only seen Neil once and that was with POTR. It was a great gig (both the Horse and non-Horse songs worked really well) and Neil was very cheerful, having a laugh with the band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.