Bob Dylan US Tour 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lamus, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Review of previous Dylan show, Nov. 21, 2017, btw...

HominyRhodes likes this.
  2. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

HominyRhodes, mark ab and mrjinks like this.
  3. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I loved hearing those clips of BD doing "It's A Man's World" that have been making the rounds from the current tour. According to reports on the wonderful boblinks site, Dylan and the band have also snuck in a Freddie King instrumental, but I haven't had any luck in finding it on YT.

I've loved this track since the day I first heard it. (Really, it's just a *Freddie-fied* take on "Walking the Dog" but that's OK with me.)

Freddy King - San-Ho-Zay

BTW: Freddie did a killer version of BD's "Meet Me In The Morning."

4. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

We were all surprised and delighted when he closed with that song in Roanoke last week. Most of us thought it was a one off not to be repeated. Great arrangement in a night full of new arrangements.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I love how he turned "Cry A While" into "Rumble" :D. Definitely a hightlight of the show.

The Beacon Theater show was great last night. Going back for 3 of the remaining 6..........tonight, 27th, and 29th.

6. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

The current round of shows and some of the new arrangements have been FANTASTIC! How he can manage to make LARS sound fresh is astounding to me. Cry A While, Honest With Me, Gotta Serve Somebody, etc. I could go on! Listen for yourself!

7. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

I ended up going to AC. I recorded the show and it's making the rounds. I don't know if it sounds good, but it was a magical show top five in the 15 or so that I've been to in the last 10 years. I'm listening to some of the Beacon shows. My parents went to the first night and they loved it. The tapes of those nights are excellent. Bob hasn't sounded this consistently good since the preorgan days. People love Scarlet Town. It reminds me of when he used to do Melancholy Mood. It's very similar melodically too.

Last night, I saw Girl From the North Country at the Public Theater, brought tears to my eyes. It's an excellent time to be a Bob fan. Go see it. It's going to replace the Springsteen show next year and it'll be on the great white way. Gonna have some Heaven's Door Whiskey tonight.

I have to stop crying in public.

8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Thanks for the review.

9. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Nice to hear you had a good time! But what's this about Bob replacing Bruce's show??

10. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

mrjinks, MRamble and goodnitesteve like this.
  11. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

The musical Girl From the North Country originated at the Old Vic in London. It's now playing in the Public Theater down in the village and it'll be moving to the theater that Springsteen is doing his show currently. I wish I could see that Springsteen show, but the tickets are astronomical. Something tells me Girl From the North Country will be a high priced ticket soon too. A Netflix version of Springsteen is imminent.

MRamble likes this.
  12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Made a last minute decision to go see Mr. D tonight.

Last year when I saw him at the Beacon, the ushers seemed to "lift" the ban by the encore.

dylankicks likes this.
  13. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Astounding show tonight - my 5th or 6th Bob show but head & shoulders above the rest. The arrangements were super and Bob's piano playing and, yes, voice were incredible.

14. streetlegal

uzn007 and JuanTCB like this.
  15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It was a great show. Compared to last year, he basically just removed all the standards (and a few originals) and replaced 'em with more of his own. Masterpiece was simply beautiful. All Along The Watchtower had to be the weirdest rearrangement I've seen him do, even giving last year's Tangled Up In Blue a run for it's money. I was sat in row 12, orchestra left, with a great view of him at the piano. Considering he spent almost the whole show there, it was perfect. Last year I was closer, but on the right, which was excellent because he kept coming up to sing the standards (and pose, prowl, and scowl!) I love that he still plays and reinvents the Tempest songs. Kinda sorry he dropped Long And Wasted Years, but Love Sick works well as the last song before the encore (it made for a weird closing number in 2016 though.) Cry A While was rockin' and rollin', definitely a good substitute for the equally uptempo Summer Days. Oh, and seeing him do Make You Feel My Love was a treat. Thanks in no small part to Adele, that song has taken on a life of its own, becoming a new standard.

That no phones/no photos policy was strictly enforced. They said that offenders would be removed, and indeed I saw a guy get the boot (he was let back in one song later.)

16. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Bob has practically rewritten the entire song Gotta Serve Somebody on this tour. Has any song gotten such a treatment like that?

By the way that new version is brilliant.

17. streetlegal

18. streetlegal

Too many to mention! Some lyrics are more-or-less set in stone ("Blowin," "Watchtower," "It's Alright Ma" etc) and some are continually tinkered with to varying degrees ("Ballad of a Thin Man," "Twist of Fate" etc etc).

Others get more-or-less completely overhauled at certain times such as "Knocking on Heaven's Door" "Tangled," "Going Going Gone, " and, from the gospel years again, a barnstorming "Gonna Change My Way of Thinking" on a gospel compilation with a completely different set of lyrics and mood.

I remember, back in the day, getting Live at Budokan for Xmas from my parents, and laughing my head off because the lyrics in the lyric book failed to match the songs as performed! It was a new experience. Later, when I got around to hearing the "original" songs, I laughed my socks off again--this time, because each song sounded so different! It was pretty mind-blowing to my teenage ears (and eyes)!!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    MRamble likes this.
  19. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

goodnitesteve and MRamble like this.
  20. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

21. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Ok..but has he done it lately? o_O;)

I was aware of the changes he made in some parts of Tangled Up In Blue on stage but don't recall a full song overhaul like what he's done with Gotta Serve Somebody on this tour. Will look into those examples you listed.

22. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I'm visiting NYC right now to see Springsteen on Broadway, and yes the ticket prices were very high but Bob Dylan's show is no bargain either. It's neat to be here while both performers are in town but I don't think I'll be seeing Bob.

goodnitesteve likes this.
  23. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

1978 and 1984 had Tangled completely overhauled. I think he's always been revamping Gotta Serve Somebody

If you see her say hello was different in 1976 and I thought there were some differences in 2002 or maybe that was You're a big girl now.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  24. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Saw the Monday and Tuesday shows at the Beacon. Great set list. Loved the reworked, stop and go Like a Rolling Stone. Trying to reclaim the second most misunderstood song. Acoustic Don't Think Twice was great. Bob isn't shouting or straining and it makes for a great show.

25. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

The reviews from last night's Beacon show all said he was in amazing form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.