Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

If you watch closely, you can see where they removed this song from the final film. The Band plays and sings a bit of "Steppin' Out of Line" as Elvis drags one of the girls to the dance floor. His lines are then dubbed in 2 places to help remove the song , and then Elvis says' ""You're Steppin' Out of Line" waking back to the table-----I've always wondered if Fox, Paramount or Warner might have any of these cut numbers (or B roll footage) from Elvis films (outside of TTWII and EOT) back at the salt mine in Kansas. I trust these are all long gone, but.....

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I Feel That I've Known You Forever
    Written By :
    Alan Jeffries & Doc Pomus

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, March 18-20, 1962 : March 19, 1962. take 5
    Here we have a great piano ballad, with some excellent chord progressions. We have the big backing vocals that Elvis seemed to like so much on this kind of song. Another song in Elvis sixties catalog that show his range and dynamic off well. There is the tenderness and the power that really advertises that Elvis wasn't just some fifties pretty boy.
    Another great song, there's no way that one could suggest this isn't a great album.

3. mark winstanley

Night Rider
    Written By :
    Doc Pomus & Mort Shuman

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, October 15-16, 1961 : October 16, 1961. take 3
    When I hear tracks like this, that really didn't get a lot of exposure, to the best of my knowledge, it always makes me wonder if those that say Elvis didn't rock in the sixties were actually listening.
    This is a great little rock song. We have an excellent for intro arranged to bounce right out of the stereo. We have some really nice guitar licks punctuating the song. We have a really good uptempo song that bears repeated listening.
    Yes we have another great track.

Iceman08, clhboa and Dave112 like this.
  4. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Great song on a very good album despite the terrible title. I hate to keep griping on the title but if they had titled the album something like "Night Rider" for a tie in to the song and used a different cover photo, I think it would have made a huge improvement. I passed this album over many times as a kid for some lesser Elvis soundtrack albums because the title and cover look like some type of Camden rehash stuff. Imagine my surprise at the first hearing of the great songs on this album. It's true that you can't judge a book or album in this case by the cover.

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  5. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

It's a shame that this wasn't released as a single until Terry Stafford covered it and had a hit. I didn't realize for years that Terry Stafford's version was a cover of Elvis' version and not the other way around. Elvis' version of "Suspicion" is much better and if it had been coupled with "Something Blue" and released in 1962, that would have been another great Elvis single.

6. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Just For Old Times Sake is the identical melody as Old Shep.
    Funny the word Old appears in both.
    But that's why I'm not big on it.
    As For Are You Lonesome Tonight, even if we're just too familiar with it over the years, I think it remains one of his most sincere and brilliant performances, especially the narration.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  7. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I've always found it interesting that Elvis rerecorded Night Rider five months after the Pot Luck version, as there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the original (and actually, the remake sounds more hesitant than the master). In any case, it's a fun little song that sounds particularly good coming after I Feel That I've Known You Forever (Pot Luck is one of Elvis' best sequenced albums, imo).

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  8. mark winstanley

Definitely, especially after the last studio album

9. mark winstanley

Elvis in Memphis in august 1962 with his friend Gar Pepper.
    [​IMG]

10. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Blame Phil Spector. He produced the demo of "Night Rider." Elvis felt his first recording didn't live up to it, but his second stab at the song lasted only an hour, "since nobody seemed to be able to see beyond the typically overwhelming arrangement on the Phil Spector produced demo," according to Ernst Jorgensen.

Imagine how differently history would have been if, instead of giving up, Elvis has said "why don't get the guy who produced the demo to produce this session too?"

11. mark winstanley

Elvis interview; August 17, 1962 - Hollywood, California

artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  12. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Heaven forbid that Phil Spector would ever produce an Elvis session! I am still not over how he totally screwed up All Things Must Pass. Everything he does sounds like a clusterfug.

czeskleba and mark winstanley like this.
  13. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I won't go so far as to say that everything he does sounds wretched - his production style was perfect for the kinds of pop records he was making in the mid-60s - but his production on those solo Beatles albums is rather sterile, and he definitely wouldn't have done Elvis any favours.

There's a story that Dylan, unhappy about the results of the early Highway 61 Revisited sessions, made a sarcastic quip along the lines of "Maybe we should try Phil Spector." Now that would have been a real disaster!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  14. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I agree, although many Elvis fans seem to have a somewhat negative view towards Pot Luck (at least based on my experience online...and Guralnick's liner notes for the 60s box probably didn't help matters, where he basically dismisses almost everything between the EIB! and 1969 sessions). Which is a shame, because it's a fantastic pop album, littered with gems that relatively few people have heard. The FTD is great, but it's a shame that they couldn't fit all of the outtakes onto the set (on the plus side, the Pot Luck outtakes helped to make the Golden Records Vol. 3 and Elvis For Everyone FTDs particularly great).

It's not likely, but I'd love for us to get a "complete Pot Luck sessions" release in the future. A "complete Elvis at Studio B" set would be even better, though that would be a truly mammoth undertaking. If I can dream...

15. Price.pittsburgh

So you guys know I posted this response thinking I was quoting someone else but forgot to add the quote.
    That's why it seems so out of the blue.

mark winstanley and artfromtex like this.
  16. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I didn't find Pot Luck to be that bad other than the name and album cover, but then album covers were mostly an afterthought in those days. Suspicion is a good song, as are most of the rest. Maybe because I'm coming into Elvis fandom years after the fact, I'm not dismissing his, for lack of a better word, softer material. Other than his later soundtracks, and maybe a few songs scattered around the rest of his catalog, I believe these are songs he wanted to perform. And quite frankly, the writers he primarily got material from were never going to be like what was on the horizon for '60s music.

DirkM, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  17. Price.pittsburgh

That's why I always found it pretty cool that Dylan said one of his favorite covers of his songs is Elvis' recording of Tomorrow Is A Long Time.

Iceman08, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  18. mark winstanley

Fountain Of Love
    Written By :
    Bill Giant & Jeff Lewis

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, March 18-20, 1962 : March 18, 1962. take 10

Another Elvis post 1960 song that uses a lot of Latin american influence. I'm not sure what happened and where, but Elvis certainly (or his writers, or both) definitely seemed to draw a lot of inspiration from south American music over this period.
    This is a bouncy little track and is very enjoyable. Certainly not the outstanding track on the album, but very solid and holding it well.

RSteven and DirkM like this.
  19. mark winstanley

That's Someone You Never Forget
    Written By :
    Red West & Elvis Presley

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, June 25-26, 1961 : June 25, 1961. take 8

"That's Someone You Never Forget"

[​IMG]
    1967 U.S. RCA Victor 45 picture sleeve, 47-9115, "Elvis sings That's Someone You Never Forget"
    Single by Elvis Presley
    from the album Pot Luck
    A-side
    "Long Legged Girl (With the Short Dress On)"
    Released April 28, 1967
    Format 45 RPM vinyl single
    Recorded June 25, 1961
    Genre
    Length 2:48
    Label RCA Victor
    Songwriter(s) Elvis Presley
    Red West
    Producer(s) Steve Sholes, Joseph Lilley

"That's Someone You Never Forget" is a song written by Elvis Presley in 1961 and published by Elvis Presley Music, which appeared as the closing track on his 1962 album Pot Luck and was released as a single in 1967.

The song was written by Elvis Presley with his bodyguard Red West and based upon an idea and title by Presley himself.[1][2] Red West recalled the songwriting collaboration with Elvis: "'That's Someone You Never Forget' was a title that came from Elvis. He said, 'How about coming up with a song with the title of "That's Someone You Never Forget"?'" Elvis and West agreed that Elvis would receive a co-writing credit because of his contributions to the creation of the song. The song was copyrighted on May 15, 1962 with words and music by Elvis Presley and Red West and published by Elvis Presley Music, Inc. It is surmised that Elvis wrote the song about his mother Gladys Love Presley, who had died in 1958. Elvis Presley gave his recording a gospel-influenced arrangement, which added to the spiritual mood of the song.

Elvis also co-wrote the song "You'll Be Gone" with Red West and Charlie Hodge in 1961.[3] These two songs were Elvis' rare song compositions. At the time, Elvis was trying his hand at songwriting. His input was mostly in providing ideas about creating new songs and choosing how they should sound. In his landmark, best-selling biography of Elvis, Elvis: A Biography (1971), Jerry Hopkins discussed this songwriting period in Elvis' career.[4]

The song was recorded on June 25, 1961 at RCA Studios in Nashville and was released as the B-Side to the 1967 single, "Long Legged Girl (With the Short Dress On)" on April 28, issued as RCA 47-9115, reaching number 92 on the BillboardHot 100.[5][6] The single was also released in the UK, Canada, Australia, Germany, France, and Italy. The song has appeared on several of Elvis Presley's compilations including the Artist of the Century career retrospective collection in 1999. The song is notable because it was co-written by Elvis Presley.

The single was re-released as a red label 45 as part of the RCA Gold Standard Series as 447-0660 on July 15, 1969.[7]
    1967 45 single release on RCA Victor.
    Elvis Presley Music, Inc., released sheet music for the song featuring Elvis on the cover in 1961 noting that it was "Recorded on RCA Victor" with "Words and Music by Elvis Presley and Red West".

Review of the RCA CD reissue of the expanded Pot Luck album in 1999:

"The 1999 remastering benefits from superior sound and a 17-song lineup, reaching back to March 1961 for its songs, including ... the haunting, gospel-like "That's Someone You Never Forget," which was co-authored by Presley and is one of his best non-hit songs of this era". --- Bruce Eder & Neal Umphred for Allmusic.
    ----------------------------------
    This is an intriguing tune anyhow, but here we have a song that Elvis actually did put pen to paper for. As described above. It is actually a really good song and a nice way to finish the album.
    This is a lament of sorts and has a very restful, sweet sound and feel to it. At the very least it shows Elvis certainly could have written songs with the aid of an assistant writer.
    Very nice track to close out the album.

20. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

The album version Fountain Of Love is a decent little pop song, but I really love take 9, which is in a different key, and sounds far more beautiful for it. Honestly, that track alone made the Pot Luck FTD worth every penny for me.

21. Ace24

Ace24 Forum Resident

I have been following this thread as a lurker, and followed it's predecessor, while listening along to the singles and album sides as they have been discussed. Elvis has long been my favorite singer, but these discussions are giving me a renewed appreciation for many of his songs. Thank you to the OP for your work here. I have just now registered on SHMF.

22. mark winstanley

Well you're welcome.
    Also, welcome to the board, hope you enjoy it. There is a really great thread about the FTD releases
    Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)
    Please feel free to comment on any of the albums or songs, or other things regarding Elvis

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Because of the ridiculous notion (common among rock fans) that a musician is somehow less of an artist if they don't write songs, Elvis fans sometimes try to build this up as more than it was. Based on Red West's comments, Elvis did not cowrite the song. He suggested the title. He's no more the cowriter than Ringo was cowriter of Tomorrow Never Knows. Elvis wasn't a songwriter, and that shouldn't be a big deal to anyone. We might just as well fault Paul McCartney for being unable to play the glockenspiel.

24. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

A Phil Spector-produced Elvis album would have been the greatest record ever made in the history of man.

And All Things Must Pass is the masterpiece that it is BECAUSE of Uncle Phil's production!

25. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Does the Spector demo of Night Rider still exist?

Iceman08, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.