The most boring concert you've ever been to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Keefheart, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyG

TonyG Forum Resident

Concerts that I fell asleep or departed very early:
    1974 - Willie Nelson
    1975 - Dan Fogelberg; Al Stewart
    Late 90s - Eric Clapton. Bored out of my mind and slept thru much of it.

Boring, but stuck it out: 1974 or so Jimmy Buffet and Linda Ronstadt double bill. Big disappointment.

Zeppelin fan likes this.
  2. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I can't even imagine falling asleep at a show much less actually doing it.

But that is me. I have a hard time sleeping in bed at times. I do know people who can sleep anywhere, including my wife. (no need to insert joke here) But still...
    There was a dude sleeping next to me at a star wars movie lately. But those recliner chairs they have now are pretty comfy.

Binni and canonlon like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I saw an older (70s?) woman fall asleep at kd lang a few years back! :laugh:

kd is pretty mellow! :shh:

4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Curious to know what was wrong with your 1975 concerts.

Dan Fogelberg is someone I would have loved to have seen live. All the live recordings I own are excellent.

Seen Al Stewart many times and he's always been stunning.

5. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

The Orb in The Ambassador Dublin 1999.

6. Not sure but it was about 2009-2011 ish.

carlwm likes this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Okay so current line-up then.

They must have had an off night, which is a shame. They are usually very entertaining.

8. Fair point. TBH I much prefer their material with Denny singing, so it probably was more myself than the band.

carlwm likes this.
  9. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

Please can you tell me. Why you are going on Bob Dylan show,? Especially you all new that will be boring show

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

So many eras with Fairport. They are like seven bands in one.

My favourite Sandy Denny Fairport album is Rising For The Moon. It's very different but the songs and performances are gorgeous.

11. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I hate to say this but some of the worst concerts were the small ones that my wife and I (along with two others) ran. Usually small out-of-town touring bands and with a few local ones taking up the opening slots. Lots of ego, sometimes lack of talent, or someone having an off night. This was back in the 90s when punk rock had a sort of second coming thanks to the tail-end of grunge and the revival of pop punk.

And a lot of the opening acts would go on too long, shortening the time of the "big" touring band. As the sound guy, I would try to cut these fools off, or make the cutting motion across the throat. But again - egos! - which is why I never opened the recording studio I was planning on!

carlwm likes this.
  12. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

What, you haven't seen drunks and/or party-hardy folks (mostly at outdoor summer shows) passed out on the lawn? You need to get out to more shows. :D

At most outdoor shows I've been to through the years, it seems rare NOT to see some knucklehead(s) passed out too early. All that money for a ticket, and you can't pace yourself? Amateurs. :cool:

setlistthief and carlwm like this.
  13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yup, Bob Dylan for me too. A girl I new bought tickets and coherst me into going.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  14. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Grateful Dead 1987... Worcester MA... wanted to hook up with this hippy chick so I went to show with her, hoping to score afterwards... soooooo boring I left early and thumbed home...

erikdavid5000 and Tim 2 like this.
  15. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Actually I don't think I have seen anyone sleeping or passed out at a concert. (maybe at a stadium concert back in the day but I don't really remember see anyone)
    I'm sure people could be snoozing on the lawn at a shed show, but I am not really looking for it.

edit - maybe the shows I go are just not boring enough to sleep.

Sure, way back in the day (collegeish), people passed out at parties or such (sometimes waking up with decorations). I did not have that problem, pacing myself or not.

16. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

As my old man said many years back when I got home at 9:30 pm from a date - "So, I guess you didn't get lucky."

YardByrd likes this.
  17. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

she must have been hot for you to take in dylan

18. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Elton John... Early 90s at Madison Square Garden.

19. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

The dead and Dylan. In like 84,give or take. In homerdome.The sound was the worst and it was oversold. To many people

20. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Wow - Van and Ray - can't believe this wasn't a worthwhile evening of music .

21. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Dire Straits in 1979 - great. Mark Knopfler ever since - zzzzzzz .

Zeppelin fan and 0476pearljam like this.
  22. TonyG

TonyG Forum Resident

It was the Alpine Valley show, where SRV's helicopter crashed the next day. Robert Cray, Jeff Healy, SRV, and Clapton at the end. It's a gaint, natural amphitheater. We were way, way in the back. So far back that the sound didn't match the video screens. It was late, I was tired, and Clapton was boring. I laid back on the grass to listen and fell asleep.

23. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

So this is a combination most boring concert/best show I never saw response.
    When I was in college, a friend of mine was hyping up a performer who used to play at his high school proms. As it turned out he was scheduled to perform in the college gym during spring weekend in May 1973.
    Admission was three bucks, so I went to the show. The crowd was very small, and everyone was sitting just a few feet from the stage. The opening act (some deservedly long forgotten band) started 45 minutes late, and then basically fooled around with their equipment for half an hour, played a lousy song, and then I watched them play with their equipment for another half hour. I didn't think it was worth it to wait for the second act, i.e. some random prom band, so I left.
    The kicker is that my friend went to high school in Red Bank New Jersey, and the performer that I didn't see was some guy named Bruce Springsteen, touring for "Greetings From Asbury Park N.J."
    Legend has it that he played for almost 2 hours and rocked the house, and I've been kicking myself about this ever since.

24. TonyG

TonyG Forum Resident

Re: Fogelberg and Stewart

A combination of things:

They both played at Minneapolis' Orchestra Hall (Fogelberg in 74, Stewart a year or two later). The hall had sound problems, not good for electric music. I was in balcony, off to the side (cheap ticket, $3.50?) (I think they eventually corrected the sound issues by installing weird looking acoustical tiles in the ceiling.)

Fogelberg - This was right after "Souveniors" was released. Thought that was a pretty good album. Not a particularly exciting performer, though. Between that and the sound sucking, I left. Would I have stayed if the sound was better? I don't think so; I just decided that Fogelberg wasn't for me. Still amazes me that shortly after this he was playing the local hockey arena.

Al Stewart - Realized that once I heard "Year of the Cat" I'd had enough Al.

What was interesting to me at the time was that both Fogelberg and Stewart play the genre of songs that I most listen to. They fit right in with Fairport, Poco, R&L Thompson.... But for whatever reason, they didn't connect with me.

25. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

Jerry Garcia and John Kahn
    Orpheum Theater Boston, Ma
    Steve Morse of the Boston Globe wrote in his review that deadheads were dancing to imaginary music in their heads and Garcia was a listless troll.
    I think Garcia got some bad ****, as I agree with the review.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.