Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Just heard ‘Best Friend’ for the first time.

Can’t explain how much of a treat it is to hear a ‘new’ (to me) McCartney song from his prime era.

Roll on next Friday!

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

That must be a great experience
    And it s a good, rocking little number as well.
    Wings in full bar-band mode
    :)

3. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Same!! I've never heard any of the RRS era outtakes before and this is a massive massive treat

4. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

If you are going to be critical about the sets, do it some place else! Unless you are talking about #downloadgate2k17. Then feel free to share your harsh and cruel opinions. That goofy intro was the best. Paul invented goofy intros and if you find an example of a goofy intro predating that, then I'll just say that Paul perfected the goofy intro which is just as important.

6. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I'm glad you're mentioning this. I agree, but that's only in comparison with the DCC, the version I'm used to as well. And if you come from that, the 2018 master suddenly lacks so much in bass that one might thinks it's a thin sounding remix. I will explain:

I'm not going to compare it with the 1993, because that's the only truly lousy sounding version, the noise reduction kills it before any other element even comes in.

The 2018 version is actually the least compressed version among the 1987 Fame, 1993 remaster (last time) and DCC version. The latter got a shorter fade-out than the 1987 and 2018 version, for what it's worth.

Now the bottom line: the DCC and 1987 Fame are very similar, dynamic-wise and tonality-wise, but the DCC got the trademark bass boost at 30Hz-120Hz. So if you compare the new version with the DCC, you're going to think all sub bass is suddenly gone. In comparison with the Fame, which seems the most neutral, the bass on the 2018 remaster is actually more or less the same, with the exception that anything below 45 Hz is cut down a lot. So that really depends on the system/equipment if one even notices that.

The big difference between the 2018 remaster and all other masters is a massive boost in the highs from 7K on. You can suddenly hear hiss during the applause outro. I gotta get used to that, maybe it needed it.

7. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

YES! Best Friend and The Mess sounding better than ever! The critics were absolutely insane when it came to Wings, but the people that listened and came to the shows knew the real deal! There's absolutely nothing goofy about McCartney introducing The Mess, I love how he's communicating with his audience, and then rocks them!

The 76 line up of Wings is my fave, but the earliest version was great as well as these two fantastic rockers clearly show! Bring on Wings Over Europe! This live material is what I've been waiting for, especially from this period of Wings! Now to get an official live album from the last version of Wings. A remaster of the Last Flight recordings would be absolutely great!

8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The Mess is a good rocker with some pretty cool guitar-riffs. Just like Soily it almost seems designed to be a stadium-rocker but unlike Soily it never went there. The lyrics-daft as they might be-are nowhere neat the horrible lyrics of Soily.
    It seems that opnions differ a bit of the sound-quality of the new remaster. To my ears it sounds very good and natural. The bass is not as heavy as Iv heard in other versions, the vocals a tad lower but the drums and bass sounds fabilous. Seiwell were an expert on these kind of grooves and he and Paul formed a remarkable rhytm-section. On top we have the different guitar-patterns that really shimmers here. Then of course Pauls vocals at his screamin best. Sometimes I think his vocals during this period are his absolutely best. His delivery was so effortless
    Best Friend is a patterned blues-rocker with an extremely catchy chorus. After the gig 1972 that chorus and Hi,Hi,Hi were the ones that really stuck in my head.
    The bands playing on this one is really rough with the swagger of a seasoned bar-band.
    It s a bit of shame great, rowdy rockers like this were unreleased or hidden away on B-sides at the time. Guess Paul moved very fast and soon left the punky rock n roll approach for a more polisched approach
    Anyway -it s great to have those fabulous tracks here in -for me-great sound
    :)

9. Seems like a iphone6 :)

10. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Thanks a lot for the clarifications!

11. ilhuicamiztli

ilhuicamiztli Forum Resident

I was also hearing it for the first time this morning and agree with you... But then i decided to stop about half way through the song and instead wait to listen to the full double album on Friday. Can't wait!

12. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

You mean from the curve, or the blurry pictures? :D

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I love both of the rockers, I’ve heard them both but never gave Best Friend too much thought. I love The Mess, but I think Best Friend is better! What a jam!

14. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I understand pushing for getting as much as one can but, honestly, I wouldn't do the same thing. I certainly wouldn't give it away, of course, but I would be shocked by that price tag even if it was my product. That's nearly halfway to a thousand dollars. If it were me, I'd focus less on the junky extras and more on the music and a simple book with good information and photos. I'd sell what I'd want: a simple and non-extravagant presentation of the music. I'd focus on making it as musically complete and as good-sounding as possible.

I don't want marbles and wouldn't think anyone else wanted marbles either. That kind of move feels like a ripoff to me. Although you'll never go broke selling to Beatlefans, that doesn't mean it's not taking advantage of their deep love of the music.

Tord, Ryan Lux and Paulwalrus like this.
  15. Jerquee

It's just an opinion, you'll be alright.

applebonkerz and Frank like this.
  16. Jerquee

Seriously?

boggs and supermd like this.
  17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t agree. Most of the music will be available on streaming-services for those who don t want the bells and whistles included in the boxed sets. Personally I find the books, pictures and memorablia very rewarding to get a full wiew not only of the albums but of the era
    they were recorded. It s expensive but not in any way a rio of. There s not much money to be made today selling physical music so I don t blame the producers trying to make an(probably small) profit in the deluxe-edition nische

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

First time I've heard Dear Friend. Initial impression is that it has maybe three different things going on, starting with the basic blues and then going into (for me) a more interesting vein...with periodic inserts of rockabilly.

I'm glad to finally hear it.

19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Pretty clearly not seriously.
    If you're going to be critical about the sets deleting the goofy intro, please do it some place else!
    I was just surprised, having read a lot of the "it sounds so great" comments before hearing it (The Mess) and having been a huge fan of the sound of the Archives to this point (including what's been released from these). I'm wondering about the choice to release live material most people won't be familiar with featuring probably the most famous rock bass player in history and removing all the bass. I guess most peoples' reference for the comparison is the 1993 version, and compared to that it's a huge improvement it seems. I had the DCC and the standard US Capitol version before that. I'm hoping the Wings Live disc doesn't suffer the same bass reduction for the sake of those who invested in it. Would be a shame to have to struggle to hear McCartney's bass on this much-desired material.

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

You mean Best Friiend
    Imo one of Paul’s better rock n roll numbers.

Wingsfan2012 and Zeki like this.
  21. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

So . . . if I've only heard the 1993 version than it's a win, right?

22. There are no marbles just archival material :tiphat:

23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Well, at least with the Wings live disc, it will presumably be brand new mixes, rather than just remastering an old single mix. I thought the Eat At Home/Smile Away download sounded great, so hopefully that is a better indicator. But, we shall see!

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Mess is my best friend as well.
    Oh.. You mean songs. :nyah:

SixOClockBoos, Who Cares and omikron like this.
  25. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

No? Darn, I wanted marbles. And jellybeans.

Mazzy likes this.