New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Speaking about Ummagumma, PF played ´The man and the journey’ during their 69 tour. Kind of concept around the tour title theme. A lot of the Ummagumma solo parts were played during these 69 concerts along will other reworked favorites from the first PATGOD and ASOS. This is available on CD 2 of the Early Years Dramatisation box.

The band RPWL recreated this show and it’s very good as it also comes with a DVD. Don’t let the digipack thickness fool you, there’s a cd and a dvd within the package, no tray.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  2. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Ah, good to know! Thanks!

3. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

Thanks! I will check it out!

The Revealer likes this.
  4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Regarding the DSOTM 30th, it's the last all analog remastering on vinyl.
    That doesn't mean it's superior to the digital BG vinyl, but, the pressing could have been friendlier.
    If you adjust your vta, you may eliminate what you don't like about it.
    And cart may also play a role.
    That being said, you shouldn't have to make adjustments like that to hear how great this version is.
    So, I get how some of you guys prefer the BG.
    As is often the case, it's system dependent.

5. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

You obviously have a point, but many of the original issues regarding the 30th was not about the remastering or mastering, but about faulty pressing, like crackles and pops throughout. Of course some got quiet copies, like yourself, but many didn't.

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The 30th is a little too aggressive in the treble range for me.

Solace likes this.
  7. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Mine was toward the end of side one. Cleaned it, adjusted vta, no problem.

I can understand that. Like I said, this one is system dependent. It shouldn't be, and there certainly shouldn't be any surface noise for a record of this significance - let alone price!

8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

The 30th is not only system dependent, but also dependant of ones sound preferences and eq choices........I personally like it.

Johnny Vinyl and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  9. Norco74

30th feels like your are sitting on David Gilmour guitar amp during the solo in Money.

My copy, bought new, was noisy on spin #1. It took a good clean to remove whatever what left from the pressing out of the groove.

Dr. Funk and metalrules like this.
  10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I remember buying mine in the Summer of 2004, and have no issues with noise or pressing defects. I've heard plenty of "weeping and gnashing of teeth" regarding the 30th......tracking problems, non fill, surface noise, off center, and warping, I guess I got lucky, and got a good one. It's definitely more aggressive than any other Dark Side pressing I've heard, but it sure is fun.

Norco74 and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  11. I'm with you re: 30th Ann reissue. I sometimes think this gets a bit trashed because of the popularity of the newer 2016 reissues and BG's involvement.

12. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Just picked up Ummagumma finally and listening to it now and should have gotten it awhile ago great reissue and happy I got it sounds fantastic IMO

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Definitely

tinnox likes this.
  14. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Is that you in the video

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Nahhh just a video I wanted to share.

tinnox likes this.
  16. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I’m really impressed with this reissue

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Blew my mind, night and day from other Ummagumma past reissues.

tinnox likes this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

IMO the 30th is vastly superior to the BG. Comparison was done for both against UK A3/B3 pressing. I think this and Animals stand out as being worse (or at least obviously different) than the original pressings.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  19. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

How does the 30th compare to the original?

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

IIRC a lot of the pressing problems (surface noise and non-fill) were on the US pressings of the 30th. I have an EU pressing and it is just about perfect. It is really hot though and some of the sibilant bits (which are somewhat sibilant in every version) are more so, but I prefer it to the BG. When I got the BG I was really impressed with it, but after leaving both pressings alone for a few months, I compared them and the 30th really shines. Really startling in some moments, like the guitar solo in "Money." The BG solves some of the problems of the 30th but a little less sibilance doesn't make up for the loss of the amazing sort of 3D quality that the 30th has in its best moments.

21. Norco74

Worse is a very strong word.

Some of the reissues works better than others but all in all they are from good to excellent.

The consensus of this reissue campaign was very positive. Sure the originals could sound better but given their high price on the market and condition, the reissues are a no brainer for copy replacement or first time buy.

22. Norco74

Would you say that 30th sounds more ‘live’ than BG version?

That is how it sound on my kit. I repeat myself again but I almost feel like sitting next by D. Gilmour amp during the Money solo. Guitar distortion sounds more granular.

Echoes Myron, dkmonroe and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yes. More "live" and more three-dimensional. The clocks startle me every time. And the last time I played "Money" I kept turning it up, marveling that a song so familiar could be so thrilling.

Norco74 and Echoes Myron like this.
  24. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Analogue = 3D :p

Norco74 likes this.
  25. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Yeah. I tried 3 different copies of 30th and all exhibited a ridiculous amount of S.N. Such a shame. As there's an amazing cut, buried underneath it.

Regards