Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Listening to "She's Not You" right now. Seriously, Elvis' voice and singing are out of this world. Beyond amazing. His vocals during that time period are one of the greatest instruments that I've ever heard.

2. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I do think his voice peaked around 1960-61. I suspect this is because:
    (a) He was 25-26 years old (physical prime)
    (b) Right out of the army, he was in the best physical shape of his life

Brian Mc and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

I'm very fond of this track, but that goddamn triangle gets more annoying every time I hear it. It's also a bit weird to hear Elvis sing as such a meek doormat. If memory serves, Greil Marcus found Elvis totally unconvincing as "Jim."

Spector also got good results from remarkable voices like the Righteous Brothers, John Lennon, and Tina Turner. Elvis loved bombast and epic sounds as much as Spector, and picking up a taste for sonic experimentation might have made him a little more ambitious in the recording studio. That might have saved him from his later bordeom with (and avoidance of) session work. And Elvis could be a hard worker in the studio when he wanted to prove himself, so I don't necessarily think Spector's approach would have been anathema to him, especially since Chips Moman's production style also relied on extensive overdubs and Elvis did very well adjusting to it. There's also plenty of raw feeling in the vocals of Spector's raw productions--he would have encouraged Elvis to sing his guts out, in the way he did with Tina Turner.

Anyway, we'll never know the answer. But perhaps we can all agree that Elvis's studio work in the 60s would have benefited from the input of producers and songwriters different than the ones he was saddled with.

Iceman08, Dave112, artfromtex and 2 others like this.
  4. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

The take/mix on Collector's Gold is your friend! No obnoxious triangle, and Elvis' vocal is just as beautiful as on the master take.

mark winstanley and Dave112 like this.
  5. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Elvis had lots of doormat songs....
    Love Me
    Any Way You Want Me
    There's Always Me
    Please Don't Drag That String Around...that's just the ones that pop to mind quickly.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Kid Galahad

[​IMG][​IMG]

EP by
    Elvis Presley
    Released
    August 1962
    Recorded October 1961
    Genre Pop
    Length 14:03
    Label RCA Victor
    Producer Jeff Alexander

Kid Galahad is an EP by American singer Elvis Presley, containing six songs from the motion picture of the same name. Six songs were recorded for the film and the soundtrack was issued as an extended play record in August 1962 to coincide with the film's premiere. The extended play record was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America on March 27, 1992 for the sales of 250 thousand copies.[1]. The featured song from the album, "King of the Whole Wide World," received Top 40 radio airplay and reached #30 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.The extended play record was the number-one EP in the UK for 17 weeks.[2]

Recording sessions took place ten months prior to the film's release on October 26 and 27, 1961, at Radio RecordersStudios in Hollywood, California. At this point in his career Presley had a proven sales track record, and up to 300 demoswere often submitted for a single film, even given the requisite publishing arrangements favorable toward the companies owned by Elvis and the Colonel, Elvis Presley Music and Gladys Music.[3] As the plots for Presley films became interchangeable, songs rejected for a certain storyline could later be used for an entirely different film, as with "A Whistling Tune" which had been omitted from Presley's previous film Follow That Dream but found a place here instead.[3]

Side one
    1. "King of the Whole Wide World" - Bob Roberts and Ruth Bachelor - October 27, 1961 - 2:44
    2. "This Is Living" - Fred Wise and Ben Weisman - October 27, 1961 - 1:43
    3. "Riding the Rainbow" - Fred Wise and Ben Weisman - October 26, 1961 - 1:37
    Side two
    1. "Home Is Where the Heart Is" - Sherman Edwards and Hal David - October 26, 1961 - 2:32
    2. "I Got Lucky" - Fred Wise and Ben Weisman - October 27, 1961 - 2:10
    3. "A Whistling Tune" - Sherman Edwards and Hal David October - 26, 1961 - 3:17
    ---------------------------------------
    To be honest I am not familiar with this movie, or soundtrack. I may know the songs, but just looking at the names of the songs, no bells are ringing.
    So ...

Let us know what you think of this EP.
    Give us your thoughts about anything regarding this EP and/or movie and tomorrow we'll hit the first couple of songs.
    Cheers
    Mark

Adkchaz likes this.
  7. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I quite liked the movie and the EP. 4 of the songs were shortened for the EP. If you get the Girls-Girls-Girls/Kid Galahad "Double Features" CD you can hear the full length version of these songs. Actually I just noticed that your song listing shows the full length version, but that is not what is on the actual EP. Compare your times to the times shown on the back cover. Your times are from Double Features and the back cover shown are the times actually used on the EP.

Adkchaz and mark winstanley like this.
  8. SKATTERBRANE

The vocals on King Of The Whole Wide World, recalls his style on Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock. It is the only song since the 50s where he uses that rockin' voice!

9. mark winstanley

Cheers, duly noted. Sadly I rely on information being correct. Thanks for correcting it.

Adkchaz and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  10. SKATTERBRANE

The Camdens I Got Lucky and C'mon Everybody was a good way to get the songs from Follow That Dream and Kid Galahad (as well as the Viva Las Vegas and Easy Come Easy Go EPs).

mark winstanley likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

I have listened to those albums, but as we're still in the sixties I haven't studied them as such. That's why I say I have probably heard them, but I haven't studied them yet, so I don't see the song title and think "oh, yes, that one"

SKATTERBRANE likes this.
  12. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I’m really enjoying the opportunity this thread gives me to think about Elvis’ records in the order in which they were released (as opposed to simply looking at a list of LPs, EPs and singles by category). Kid Galahad, for instance, threw me for a loop as I’d have thought - wrongly - that it belonged to a slightly earlier period.

So - many thanks for starting this thread.

I’m sure there are a lot of us out there who contribute only occasionally (or not at all) but who nevertheless appreciate your efforts!

13. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I made myself a playlist putting all the singles/b-sides/EP tracks where they belonged chronologically after I ripped the album box set to my laptop. I like approximating how I would have heard these songs if I had grown up in that time. The main thing it showed me was how much effort was not made at that time to properly collect the tracks. You could have songs from 4 different movies spread across 5 different LPs. I'm not entirely sure what the reasoning was, but I'm still glad they were made available to the LP buying public. Just thinking how many separate releases would be needed to have everything in its original form is mindboggling.

NumberEight and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

I'm glad it is working for you, and you're very welcome.
    In reality it is the same for me. I always loved Elvis' stuff, but aside from knowing about the Sun recordings and the RCA recordings (and obviously the hits) I knew very little about his catalog.
    I got the Fifties masters box on release and loved it.
    I got the Sixties masters box on release and loved it.
    I never got the seventies box, because I figured I wouldn't like it, because of preconceived notions ...
    I can't even remember why or how, but I became aware of the RCA album collection and decided to get it. I have always been one that likes to listen to an album. I have some compilations of artists that occasionally get played, but generally mixed box sets and best ofs rarely see the light of day at my place, so the Rca set really got my interest, and I love it, because that format suits the way I listen to music ....
    I kind of decided to do the thread, because prior I hadn't seen anything about Elvis on here, and I thought that was quite tragic really, and i also thought it would be neat to discover these albums in this way, so that I actually paid attention and digested them properly, rather than just giving them a cursory listen. Since starting it, I have seen that there are threads on here and that is cool to see. It would be horrible for such a brilliant part of rock history to disappear ....
    Also it is fantastic for me to have input from all you folks who are much more knowledgeable about his career than I. It's a win/win in my book.

So thank you everybody that has contributed so far, I really have and do appreciate it!

15. SKATTERBRANE

RE: songs from 4 different movies spread across 5 LPs. Well I can only think of Camdens when it comes to this. Camdens collected unreleased songs at first. And later they incorporated other non-LP songs or songs that came from some of the few out of print LPs. During Elvis' lifetime only the following went OOP:

Elvis' Christmas Album (replaced by the Camden version)
    It Happened At The World's Fair
    Harum Scarum
    Frankie And Johnny (much later the Pickwick version with 9 songs came out)
    Spinout
    Double Trouble
    Clambake

The Burning Love and Separate Ways Camdens were an aberration and abomination!

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Although I like a lot of the Camden releases, in particular Almost In Love, the concept is quite baffling to me. I guess it made sense to have a label releasing albums for Supermarkets, and that way mums/moms could buy albums while they shop, but it's weird to me, in a lot of ways

Iceman08 and artfromtex like this.
  17. BigBadWolf

I wasn't trying to say it was a bad thing concerning the Camden releases. I just thought it was a different way of collecting those stray songs than I was used to. If it had been my decision, I would've probably kept the songs from one movie together, maybe put 2 of the movie EPs on one LP if possible. But then again, this was a different time, and some label execs just didn't care how the product was released, just that it did get released or rereleased as hodgepodge as it got at times.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  18. SKATTERBRANE

Well the Camden deal was a side deal the Colonel made which entitled him to 50% of Elvis' share. The Camdens came out around the time all his EP catalog went out of print. Coincidence? They scarcely cost more than an EP would.

Almost In Love is my favorite. I was irked that they accidently released an alternate of Stay Away Joe instead of Stay Away, but they eventually corrected that mistake. They also mistakenly used take 10 of A Little Less Conversation instead of the master take 16 used on the single. And for the life of me I do not understand their putting Long Legged Girl on it instead of say: High Heel Sneakers, Come What May or Fools Fall In Love.

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  19. BigBadWolf

Wasn't this also about the time EPs in general starting slowing in sales? And the record buying public moved toward the full album format as their main choice?

20. mark winstanley

aaaahhh the Colonel, what a surprise ... The more I know, the more I want to have punched that man .............

Iceman08 and RSteven like this.
  21. mark winstanley

the year would certainly suggest so

22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Like you, I held back on the Seventies box due to preconceived notions. Then I found it in the local library and was drawn in in a way I hadn’t been before. It was almost (I imagine) like finding religion. So I, er, surrendered myself to it and bought my own copy of the set. And have never looked back.

If you haven’t heard CD5 of the Seventies box (“The Elvis Presley Show”) you’re in for a treat. An amazing composite show full of energy. That’s the one that did it for me.

23. mark winstanley

I finally bought it a few months ago. I haven't had time to spin it, but I definitely will.

NumberEight likes this.
  24. SKATTERBRANE

Well 1967's EP Easy Come Easy Go only sold 30,000 copies, if that is any indication. EPs really took a dive in the early 60s in the US, that dive came later in the UK.

25. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Just saw this during the Texas/OU game:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.