Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Rick Batdorf

Rick Batdorf Forum Resident

My order confirmation email said that the "Big Box" will ship in mid December.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  2. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

Well I know at least C Moon and Hi Hi Hi originally had a title card. I cant recall if the McCartney Years version included them

3. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Is there going to be (or is there) a difference between the Pure McCartney and WL/RRS overlap tracks? (My Love & Bip Bop)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

That's the question!!!!!

Wingsfan2012, joeislive and jl151080 like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

That was a major find.
    :)

Wingsfan2012 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  6. :laugh:

We already know that the My Love video on the McCartney Years set was tinkered with. The video originally had an alternate vocal, but the version of the video on the McCartney Years has the standard album track.

7. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

As regards both iTunes and my LPs, McCartney and RAM appear under "McCartney. Wild Life through Back to the Egg appear under Wings. McCartney II onward, back to McCartney. The CDs are all organized under McCartney, maybe because of the uniform spines of the Archive editions. Kind OCD I know.

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  8. Here is the original version of the video, with the alternate vocal:

The history of the My Love videos is a bit complicated. They were shot on film and then the film was videotaped. The original version of the video is above. A second version of the video was made, with additional close up inserts, still containing the alternate vocal. At the beginning of the second version, there is a videotape dropout that appears to be on the videotape master. When the McCartney Years video was prepared, they utilized the second version of the video and modified it. They took out the frame or few frames containing the dropout, resulting in a slight jump in the video. The dropout is still visible at around 0:09 but it is not as pronounced as before. They also took out the alternate vocal and replaced it with the album version. Because the alternate vocal has McCartney singing a few soft “yeah, yeah”’s after “my love does it good,” the McCartney Years video has removed the footage of McCartney mouthing the “yeah, yeahs” and has instead slowed down the video of McCartney singing “good.” This occurs at around 0:32-0:35 and 1:16-1:19. It looks pretty poor. Anyway, I will post this tinkered version of the video below so you can see for yourselves.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  9. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It appears the modified version also eliminated the sound of of sizzling bacon, that runs throughout the background of the song I bit of a precursor to "Cook of the House"!

10. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I do the exact same thing. Paul McCartney is the album artist for all recordings, then the artist is Wings, The Fireman, Paul McCartney, Country Hams, etc.

11. Brother Nerk

Brother Nerk Forum Resident

Agreed on 1882. And the live version in Berlin has not been booted--the 7-8 live versions on my free mp3 source doesn't have it. Bravo to MPL for digging up a rare treat. Spoiler alert - the demo lyrically is incomplete when the jailer takes him away. The other "piano demo" available to us is complete, runs 4:24, has no racket sounds at the beginning, and is essential IMO.

Wingsfan2012 and theMess like this.
  12. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Interesting to see. I don’t think it’s a case of them ‘replacing’ the alternate vocal, more the fact that the McCartney years simply featured new 5.1 remixes of each song.

supermd and Mr. Explorer like this.
  13. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

I tag Wings albums as Wings, but I use the 'Sort as' tags so they come under Paul McCartney, including sorting each album as 'Paul McCartney 1', 'Paul McCartney 2', etc. This means in the Albums and Songs views, all of his solo and group albums are neatly grouped together in chronolgical order, but the correct artist tags remain, which is necessary to keep my last.fm scrobbling clean.

For example:

[​IMG]

And just because I'm really pedantic, I have Band on the Run and Red Rose Speedway tagged as being by Paul McCartney & Wings, since that's what they were credited as when they were originally released. I also have Ram tagged as Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Guess that means some of the early mixes on the double acetate prepared in December will remain locked away for now. I'm hoping the early version of "Get On The Right Thing" we're getting contains the complete vocal from Paul at the end that was on that acetate. I heard that one and a few of the live cuts 20 years ago and have been wanting that version ever since.

Edit: Just looking at the times listed here looks like we are getting the longer "Get On The Right Thing" Can't wait!

Tord, Sean Murdock, theMess and 8 others like this.
  15. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Has this photo been doctored in any way? Linda's neck is larger than her head!

andrewskyDE, omikron and Mr. Explorer like this.
  16. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Because Heather prefers to be out of the spotlight. If there's one thing to credit Paul and Linda with, it's the protection of their children from the media — unless their kids were participating in the music, and even then there's very few pictures of the kids on tour with their parents from 1979 onwards.

Until now, that is, when Mary, Stella and James have all chosen careers that put them in the spotlight from time to time.

17. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

I did a reverse image search on google and found an upload of the same picture from 2007 which is identical.

andrewskyDE, theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  18. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The quality of the Wonderful Christmastime video in the McCartney II Archive set from 2011 is terrible, compared to the same video used on the McCartney Years in 2007.

It'll be interesting to see how the quality of the promos compare on these new sets.

Wingsfan2012, gibtti and Mr. Explorer like this.
  19. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

Whereas the earlier version of Little Lamb Dragonfly appears to be 15 seconds shorter. Interesting.

Calico and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

But shouldn't Ram be "Paul & Linda McCartney" and not "Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney"

Wingsfan2012 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  21. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

I think you just stumble upon what will be missing from the 71-73 box second edition

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

It's weird to think what we'll all be talking about once this is released.

theMess, Mr. Explorer and omikron like this.
  23. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Not to mention the fact that the frame is cropped to make it fit into 16:9 screens, like most material in the McCartney years DVDs.

24. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

Great! Give me something to worry about :shake: