"Galactic Ramble" second edition available for pre-order

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manxman, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manxman

manxman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just a quick heads-up that "Galactic Ramble", the most comprehensive collection of reviews of British sixties and seventies rock (and folk and jazz and pop and more) albums, will be published in an expanded second edition next month.

As one of the principal contributors, I'm hardly impartial, but the new edition will quickly become a standard reference work, being more than a million words in length. It mixes contemporary reviews with vintage comments from music papers and contains a large number of rare photographs and other memorabilia, as well as an introduction from veteran progressive rock producer David Hitchcock, several pages of amusing trivia, and a great deal more.

The limited edition hardback (which actually sells for about the same price as the paperback first edition (which is half the size, but has become a major collector's item) can be ordered here:

Galactic Ramble

HappyFingers likes this.
  2. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

Nice! Thanks!

manxman likes this.
  3. Bought the first, it says this new edition is double the size.

Is it double the size from the inclusion of new groups, albums reviewed or just from added details like photos, vintage commentary, etc.,?

4. manxman

It has a vast amount of new reviews. I also rewrote many of my existing reviews (though I'm not sure the other writers did the same).

5. Any plans for an expanded Endless Trip?

6. manxman

Not that I'm aware of. We did start an Australia/New Zealand book but for some reason never finished it. Maybe we'll come back to that now.

zphage likes this.
  7. Is the expansion of Galactic Ramble due to info/details emerging from Flashback?

8. manxman

Probably to some extent. There was also a lot of stuff we realised we'd missed from the first edition, and plenty of new oddities (such as minor private pressings) that have surfaced in the last few years. I even went through my box of 10" acetates and reviewed all the UK ones.

HappyFingers and zphage like this.
  9. Any tie-in with Sunbeam's re-emergence?

10. manxman

Not a clue. You'd have to email Richard Morton Jack and ask him.

11. Unfortunately, most of the sites are dead-ends.

12. manxman

You can email Richard via the site I listed.

zphage likes this.
  13. Any plans to make a compendium of all the Flashback issues? In the US, finding them steadily is hit and miss.

14. manxman

Again, you'd have to ask Richard. I write the odd piece for the magazine and the occasional sleeve note for Sunbeam, but the magazine and label are more his babies.

zphage likes this.
  15. You have been very gracious I appreciate your answers.
    One last question:
    Any band you are enthusiastic about that is newly included in the new edition?

16. manxman

There's one very interesting recently discovered private pressing by a band called Collusion. It's from 1971 and is heavy rock with progressive edges, with both male and female vocals. The original was a 99-copies pressing, without sleeves, on SRT, and has sold for around the £3,000 to £4,000 mark. It has been reissued on Audio Archives, though the remastering wasn't too sensitive.

zphage likes this.
  17. I find the time period covered interesting/important in showing the wide variety that was progressive before it became calcified into the same old UK prog warhorses.

Collusion - Sweetbread Line 1971

Clarkophile, Ignatius and manxman like this.
  18. manxman

Yes, the first generation of progressive bands had the huge advantage that they'd never heard a prog band, so they had to define the genre, and they had a refreshing "anything goes" attitude. There's still good prog being made today, but the vast bulk of it is pretty derivative. The last band that really made my jaw drop was Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and their debut came out way back in 2001.

zphage likes this.
  19. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Will a paperback version come along thats cheaper? Its pretty expensive at £100.
    First version is amazing by the way

20. Mezzer

Mezzer Forum Resident

I wondered that too, but the information on the link provided includes the statement that there is 'no date set for a paperback edition'. Not sure whether this means that there is likely to be one or not.

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Looks interesting - I wonder whether you plan a paperback, please?

22. manxman

Richard (Morton Jack) says he has no plans for a paperback version at the moment, but I would be very surprised if we don't issue one. Not that anyone buying the hardback is likely to lose money on it — given the huge prices the first edition is selling for, I think the 500 copies hardback will become a collector's item.

mr.datsun likes this.
  23. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Just ordered. How soon do these get sent?

24. manxman

I believe the current expected delivery date from the printer is 13th February.

Lovecraft and sharedon like this.
  25. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Just had the email. Should be here very soon.

HappyFingers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.