I want to go to Princeton Record Exchange for my birthday; what should I expect?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mBen989, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

The thread title's bad English but self explanatory.

Oh, and NO Monty Python please!

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

No cake, but one of the greatest sections of reasonably priced vinyl, CDs, DVDs and other media, often rare, that I have ever seen. It's so good, I drive there once a year to lurk and buy. Nice, knowledgable people, too.
    Happy birthday!

3. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Stick around for a couple of hours at least. They're processing new pre-owned arrivals and putting them out on the floor all day long. You can pick up some great stuff by being the first to browse.

tmtomh and mBen989 like this.
  4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Expect your wallet to be a lot lighter by the time you leave.

It's a great store....give yourself at least a few hours to go through all the aisles + the dollar bins.

tmtomh, nick99nack and mBen989 like this.
  5. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Great store. Be prepared to spend a lot of time there but be sure not to let your parking meter run out.

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Get there early to find a parking space and as others have already mentioned, have at least an hour and a half to browse and bring lots of your birthday money, as you will be spending a bunch there. I will admit that I have struck gold a few times there, but a few times I have left damn near empty handed. Best to a have a list of artists or titles of stuff that you are looking for, as that store can sometimes seem overwhelming!

tmtomh, nick99nack and mBen989 like this.
  7. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

There's a parking garage a block or so behind the store which was reasonably priced last time I was there.

mBen989, Gaslight and Malina like this.
  8. mBen989

Thanks for the helpful information so far. I'm not headed there until sometime this weekend (Thursday, Friday or Saturday) so if anyone else has something to add, keep it coming.

Oh, and yes, the details of my haul will be posted in the usual place.

9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Can't speak to Princeton, haven't been there in decades, though I know a few people that make the trip when they are selling off a newly acquired collection.
    Doubledecker has had some very good stuff- near or in Bethlehem; don't know how far that is from you.
    Happy Birthday.

mBen989 likes this.
  10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Street parking on Sundays is free (last I checked) and there's a free lot also by the University south of the main street.

Getting there early is usually the best bet.

mBen989 likes this.
  11. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

made my third trip to PREX this week. First two times I got my original copies of Bitches Brew and Exile on Main St (w/postcards!) out of their used bins.

This time didn’t luck out maybe because it was so soon after RSD- but did get $30 worth of old jazz odds and ends. Love the place.

12. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I was unimpressed the last two times I went a few years ago. Not like it was in the 80's, it was GREAT back then. But I did find a great French/Canadian LP [artist name escapes me/not home now] in the $1 bin last time so it wasn't a total waste.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

2nd best value in the neighborhood. When you suddenly realize it's 2 hours after sundown, who wants to fret about whether your car's been towed when you're only halfway through the "R"'s...

Jeff Edwards and Bill like this.
  14. Parking is free on University lots on weekends and during the summer

tmtomh likes this.
  15. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Expect to purchase a lot, and spend some time there. I go there quite often :) (or as often as I can when I'm in the area visiting family - I went twice within a week's time during my last trip). Also, check out the italian deli at the end of the street it's on. A lot of good desserts there - I highly recommend the Tiramisu. Best I've ever had!

The spanish inquisition might be there when you're not expecting them.

mBen989 likes this.
  16. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

I just noticed how old this thread is. I wonder what the OP ended up buying?

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Likely half the store. And then had to take a second job to pay for it all and hasn't had time to post again. :D

18. great wine store: Wine Store in Palmer Square Princeton, NJ 08542 - Princeton Corkscrew Wine Shop specializes in wines beyond Italy, France and US

Great fish restaurant: Blue Point Grill run by a fishmonger

Great bookstore around the corner on the mainstreet with clean bathrooms: Labyrinth Books - Princeton

Gaslight, tmtomh and nick99nack like this.
  19. mBen989

Here's what I posted in the used bins thread. Yes, I'd gladly go back in a heartbeat.

nick99nack likes this.
  20. mBen989

I agree. I didn't have the chance to look downstairs for reasons.

21. Downstairs is some old, used, and rare, but mostly academic where the University students pick up their books for each semester.

mBen989 likes this.
  22. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested

zphage likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.