Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t categorice anyyyhing.
    It s just a MESS
    :)

Zeki likes this.
  2. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Based upon the rabid frenzy and quick sell out of the first edition I would think a second edition would also be a slam dunk sales success for them...lots of people still want this set.

Pawnmower likes this.
  3. Best Friend is definitely a little better with the background vocals, but maybe they are not included because they were a later overdub and this is the raw live take? Just a thought.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

:goodie:
    "Wild Life" is under a hundo @ Amazon!
    SOLD!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

40 years ago that sentiment would have been a complete non sequitur.

Today, it makes complete sense... :shtiphat:

theMess, Who Cares, mrjinks and 5 others like this.
  6. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I don't see there being a second edition any time soon.

As things stand, demand for a similar mega London Town/Back To the Egg/Wings Live 1979 box set will be at a high as fans try to ensure they're not the ones to miss out, and such a box would likely sell out even quicker than 1971-73 if a similar number of boxes were made.

If a second edition of the Big Barn Box is issued any time soon, then that effectively says to fans "you don't need to worry about ordering our next expensive box set quickly, as there'll be another print run along soon anyway".

I can only see the sense (from a business point of view) in a second edition, once the Archive series is complete. Anything else risks damaging future demand.

theMess, Beaneydave, Paul H and 3 others like this.
  7. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Does anyone know roughly the number pressed for these and previous sets. I guess the new Super Deluxe Box Set is very limited.

8. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

That sounds like a reasonable and ethically-acceptable plan. If, on the other hand, a 2nd, mass produced (and identical, lower priced) edition appeared now, it would feel like early purchasers fell for a rather expensive bait-and-switch.

9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

And then there was an earlier attempt at a Linda compilation in the nineties which would have included Dear Hearts And Gentle People (which was recorded alongside Sugar Time and Mr. Sandman.)

There is definitely enough material to make a bonus disc, once you factor in some alternate versions.

And I bring this up every now and again, but it still gives me a chuckle. My friend picked up a copy a couple of years ago... only it wasn't official. It was in a jewel case, and it was titled "Wide Pririe." Yes, someone went through the trouble to edit the title of the album.

Just found it on discogs! Apparently an unofficial Russian release. That makes sense. I used to see a lot of Russian two-fers in those same shops where he must have gotten it.

https://www.discogs.com/Linda-McCartney-Wide-Prairie/release/10067655

[​IMG]

theMess, Who Cares, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  10. There won't be an identical cheaper option, but the only way to guarantee this by any label is to limit sales exclusively through themselves....exactly like we've seen in the several countries where these were for sale only via the Macca site which linked to their chosen distributor.

Now if some copies somehow make their way to a third party seller (like AMAZON), that seller doesn't have to abide by list prices and in fact could technically sell at a loss. We see this all the time in these price and shipping threads.

Again exclusive limited editions are rarely for sale outside of an artists website. Although you might recall the big Pink Floyd massive set was sold at various sites and Amazon had them discounted a week or two for up and down cheap prices that literally changed the hour.

If Amazon has access to some of these sets, they really can't be controlled on what they sell them for. But is was definitely a strange listing for a short time.

11. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Speaking to a friend at Universal Music- these big boxes are big profit makers for the labels. Streaming has created a mess with music and the minimal profits to be made.

He said UMG recognizes "die hards" of mega artists will spend big $$ on outtakes, CD/Vinyl box sets, books etc. All the things you can't get from streaming.

In the day and age of Best Buy now stopping to stock CD's/Blu-Ray's etc, for the physical media crowd it was refreshing to hear him say that a mega label recognizes the need in 2018 for physical media!

12. Wingsfan2012

Like "Night Out" it is the 1973 version which is appropriate for the RRS box....

Now talk about rockers, the 5 seconds heard of "Night Out" on the RRS unboxing video sounded amazing!

Who Cares and Mr. Explorer like this.
  13. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

I don't recall the PF situation. What was the price difference between the set sold on PF's website and the same set sold on Amazon? Was Amazon selling it for ~$100 less than PF, and did Amazon have many copies of it?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  14. Today Amazon has the massive Pink Floyd set for $485. I ended up getting it for $175 and I think some folks got it for $150. Crazy

There was a week were it would go up and down like the stock market. I think it was six months after it came out.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  15. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

"Newly mastered and never before released, ‘Best Friend’, a song many believed to be a message to John Lennon, comes as a live version recorded during the Wings European tour in 1972 at the Cine Roma in Antwerp, Belgium." (Source: New Live Audio: 'Best Friend' and 'The Mess' )

Will the Red Rose Speedway Book have the answer? Is it (Is it not) a message for John?

theMess, Mr. Explorer and jl151080 like this.
  16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

If there is no second edition, the Wings Over Europe disc is likely to join disc 3 of Dylan's "Tell Tale Signs" in the upper pantheon of Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell-Distribution.

theMess, darling, Rob Hughes and 8 others like this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I always doubted that claim. "Well, I wake up in the morning I'm still dreamin' 'bout you, I tell you pretty baby, I'm blue." John is "pretty baby" now? "You're the best friend a man's ever had?" This all points to a woman to me. Always has. He loves this woman and can't stop thinking about her, but she doesn't treat him well. Sounds simple enough to me.

theMess, andrewskyDE, Paul H and 7 others like this.
  18. Wingsfan2012

As long as it is under my tree on December 24, it will all be good.

I have the 2CD versions on pre-order from Amazon to hold me over for that 2 1/2 weeks.....

Oyster Boy likes this.
  19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I love my 3-disc Tell Tale Signs. Could very well be my all-time favorite Dylan-collection
    Let s see if Wings 71-73 turns out my favorite Macca-collection

Sean Murdock, RayS and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I wanted the big 71-73 box, but tried to pre-order it a day or too late. But that experience isn’t going to make me rush to order a prospective big 77-79 box, because I’m nowhere near as interested in London Town and Back To The Egg as I am in Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway. The 2-CD editions of London Town and Back To The Egg will suffice for me.

marklamb and OobuJoobu like this.
  21. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

I think the fact that the official site says "First Edition Sold Out" is a pretty solid clue that there will be a second edition soon. We'll see.

Wingsfan2012 and marklamb like this.
  22. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Second edition, sure.

Soon? Not so certain.

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There is definively some logic in that conclusion.
    Not that I would mind-don t really share the angst of others here regarding this

24. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I believe that's correct. Also, the crash cymbal hits on the Cold Cuts version seem to be enhanced too. I'll have to compare them back-to-back. Ron

theMess, Who Cares and Billy Budapest like this.
  25. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

What're the odds that the coming soon card has the egypt station deluxe set listed?

Mr. Explorer likes this.