Green Book (2018 movie) starring Mahershala Ali & Viggo Mortensen

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Simon A, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr! Thread Starter

This a film I'm really looking forward to seeing. The casting is excellent and the film looks like it was well written and directed. The film gets its title from The Negro Motorist Green Book, a mid-20th century guidebook for African-American roadtrippers, written by Victor Hugo Green.

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

To me, it looks like great performances in a script that goes by the numbers.
    Odd couple scripts are always good for some smiles, and this one has the PC going for it, too.
    I think it will win awards, but it'll be a 'rent me' for us.

GodShifter likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I seen the trailer a whole bunch of times in the theater, and I'm definitely going to see this in the theater as well. Never seen Viggo Mortensen playing a mook before.

SandAndGlass, Humbuster and Simon A like this.
  4. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

This movie looks terrific based on the trailer. Anyone see it yet? Would love to hear some reactions from some of you.

5. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Saw it this afternoon (first time in a move theater in well over a year).
    People were reasonably polite. Only 1 cell call and lite chatter.

Oh...the movie

Best I have seen in years.
    Sure Oscar contender. Probably not going to get nominated because it is that good,

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll be seeing this. : )

7. Chris DeVoe

My wife saw this for the second time last night. It's one of her favorites so far this year.

8. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I really enjoyed it. From the director of Dumb and Dumber

brettster808 and Simon A like this.
  9. Simon A

He does specialize in Road Movies. ;)

samurai and Steve Litos like this.
  10. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I randomly discovered the pianist Donald Shirley on youtube channel about 6 months ago.

What a talent!

Can't wait to see the film.

11. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Funny, excellent film that's a sure-fire contender for anything 'Oscar'.

Humbuster likes this.
  12. My wife mentioned that the other night, and I was -- well -- dumbfounded!

13. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I just bought Orpheus in the Underwold and I think its very good.

Greenalishi and Steve Litos like this.
  14. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Last night I saw the movie Green Book, which is a dramedy about a tour of the South in 1962 by African-American classical and jazz pianist Don Shirley (Mahershala Ali) and Tony Vallelonga (Viggo Mortensen) who served as Shirley's driver and bodyguard. It's a good movie and I liked it and recommend it, but I had a few small issues....

Although I was born, raised, and educated in California, I've lived in Louisville, Kentucky, for 19 years. In the movie, when they drive from Indiana into Kentucky, crossing the border between the states is portrayed as being done on a country road without a bridge, but if you look on a map you'll see that the entire border between Indiana and KY is defined by the huge Ohio River. For anyone who actually lives in this area, or even knows the geography of this area, it doesn't help in terms of believability. Next point is that Louisville is in the far North of Kentucky, and is not part of the deep South. In fact, Kentucky itself stayed in the Union during the Civil War. In general Louisville was probably more progressive than some places in the deep South in 1962, but in the movie suddenly you're in the deep South once this fictionalized border is crossed. They are very careful in their portrayal of New York City at the time, but probably nothing in the movie was actually filmed in Louisville because there are no recognizable buildings or cityscapes at all. Small points. And I still enjoyed the movie and liked it a lot. My rating: "B+".

I liked the 1962 Cadillac in the film, which you can see in the trailer (along with that confused border crossing)....

Here's a link to what the actual border crossing looks like:

George Rogers Clark Memorial Bridge - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    SandAndGlass and budwhite like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

As a resident of Kansas City, I know how it is. The writers and directors are all out in California, and have only the faintest awareness of what they call the "fly over States."

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I just learned on Wikipedia that the real Tony Lip played gangsters in The Sopranos, Donnie Brasco and Goodfellas...!

17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

When they showed the photos of the two main characters in real life at the end of the movie, my first thought was, "wow, that looks like Carmine on the Sopranos!" Turns out, that is exactly who it is. I find it odd with all of the interviews and promos I've seen about the film, and even the info they say about them at the end, they never mention he later became a fairly well-known actor. I guess they figure it isn't relevant to the story.

Overall, I thought this was an extremely entertaining movie. Possibly the best of the year. Although I do think some of the criticism I have heard is fair. I think Viggo deserves an Oscar nom, at least.

I'm a resident of Pittsburgh, and the lines Tony says about Pittsburgh got a huge laugh here!

Silken and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

I just saw it, and I have to say that I'm sure it's going to get nominated, because this is exactly the sort of film that gets nominated. Not to be cynical, while I enjoyed it quite a lot, Hollywood likes to make films like this. The mook with a heart of gold, the brave, dignified minority, and everyone learns life lessons. But it didn't say a tenth as much about race relations as a film like Bodied.

I'm confident that Green Book will be nominated and Bodied will not.

IronWaffle, GodShifter and Simon A like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Now that I've seen it, I have to issue a correction. I said Viggo Mortensen played a mook. In fact, he played a goombah. I regret the error.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  20. Simon A

You should be ashamed of yourself for spreading such lies... :D

BZync and The Hud like this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

As Mr. Shirley very adroitly pointed out, language is important.

22. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Simon A likes this.
  23. Simon A

mmars982 likes this.
  24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I guess we are the mysterious people this movie is for :)

I do think some of the criticism is valid. It's not a great race-relations movie, but a pretty good one. I happen to think it is a great movie for lots of other reasons though.

I mentioned this in another thread, but was anyone else surprised that the movie centers around Christmas? Except for a couple of Christmas trees in the background in the trailer, I don't remember that ever being mentioned in any of the promotion for the film I saw. It seems they could be playing it up a little to get audiences to see it this time of year. Maybe they think that would make people take it less seriously?

I can easily picture myself re-watching this every year around the holidays.

Simon A likes this.
  25. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Every time I see a movie like this that deals with Jim Crow, I try to find the cultural reasons behind the South's racial code(besides slavery). Yes, the North could be pretty racist too, but up here a black man didn't have to jump off the sidewalk if he saw a white person coming, as per the Jim Crow laws. One knows that it WAS, but not WHY!

kanakaris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.