Which Tekton Speakers to get?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Adam Truckey, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Truckey

Adam Truckey Active Member Thread Starter

I am looking to build myself a nice entry level audiophile type stereo for my home. My goal is more of a warm detailed sound with with good dynamics/sound stage. I mainly listen to 60/70s rock/pop as well as modern indie, alt country, etc. Some electronic-ish stuff. Not a lot of real heavy rock, metal, rap, hip hop. Some 90s alternative though which is fun to crank up. I will probably stream a lot put plan on investing in a turntable and start collecting vinyl. I want the ability to power these with a tube amp, or the Rogue Audio Sphinx. My room is medium size, expands to a kitchen and dining rooms, wood floors (living room will be getting a rug), 9' ceilings. I want something I can sit and listen to all day in the house, with company, making dinner, or just listening. Something with a wide sweet spot would be better.

I was initially looking at getting something like the Klipsch Hersey or a used set of Cornwalls. I went down a rabbit hole on the forums and discovered the Tekron product. Looks very impressive on paper and I believe it will suit my needs a bit better than the Klipsch (though I really like the bluetooth speaker "the 3" I have from them and the vintage look of their products). Also I really like the idea of buying from a small American company who is obviously very passionate about what they do.

I am thinking I want to budget about 2k on speakers. There are several models in this range such as: pendragon, impact, perfect set, enzo 2.7, enzo xl. I am just looking for a bit of guidance based on my wants. If these need to be in a corner I need to be under 50", 54" max. If I can move them in a big height is not an issue. I have windows in the corner of may walls. I prefer the short fat look of the Perfect Set, but want to focus more on sound than looks. Or is it worth it to spring for the Double Impact? I can find a lot of reviews on the Pendragon and DIs but nothing on the Perfect Set.

I had sent a few email in to Eric, but haven't heard back, imagine he is busy.

c-eling likes this.
  2. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I recently purchased a pair of the Impacts and am more than happy. For what you are looking for, the Lore's would be a good match. But, if you have the space and the money, go for the Double impact.

Your best bet is to call Eric. I know they are busy this time of year.

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Sphinx doesn't sound like a tube amp despite its hybrid design. If you want real tube sound in that budget range, look for a Line Magnetic 211ia - it has plenty of power for Tektons or other efficient speakers. You should also consider Omega, Zu Audio, and Decware speakers.

SandAndGlass, Manimal, bhazen and 4 others like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Kinda in the same boat as you Adam. I was planning on the Lore's but might save up and grab the 'Set'
    [​IMG]

5. direstraitsfan98

direstraitsfan98 Well-Known Member

Whats your budget? Steve Guttenberg raved about the JBL 4429 recently. $5k/pair new. I have the big brother, the 4367.
    I would advise against Tekton as the owner is a known asshat. Check out the many threads about his speakers on Audiogon.

Nvm just saw you stated your budget is $2k...

Adam Truckey likes this.
  6. c-eling

I'm sure most of the bands I enjoy are a bunch of douchebags, but they keep putting out quality albums, and I keep buying... :winkgrin:

Adam Truckey likes this.
  7. scottschecter

scottschecter Forum Resident

Those musicians are not providing you with support and services post purchase for expensive equipment. You are not exactly comparing apples to apples.

googlymoogly, JackG and displayname like this.
  8. c-eling

Of course it's not, hence the 'grin/wink'
    I've read enough comments over the years about Eric. Good and Bad.
    Maybe I should do a personalty background check on Dan over at Emotiva, since I've had my eye on those Airmotive T2's as well.

Kristofa and recstar24 like this.
  9. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I have Tekton Enzo XL. I've had impeccable experience with Tekton and the owner, Eric Alexander, both before and after the sale. The shipping was very quick. I also have great Audio Note AN-E speakers. I had to assemble a second system for the Audio Notes because I just refuse to remove the Tektons from the main system. I also listen mostly to rock. The upstream gear is order of magnitude more expensive that the Tektons it powers. Yet I have no wish to upgrade them. Ever.

stratoholic and Adam Truckey like this.
  10. Adam Truckey

I will try to call him tomorrow. I was looking to stay closer to 2k and 40-45" but am not ruling out the double impacts.

11. Adam Truckey

Interesting, I was hoping for the best of both worlds, and I liked that it was US made. That Line Magnetic looks pretty nice and seems to have favorable reviews.

12. Adam Truckey

The other speaker I ran across today is the Spatial Audio M3, curious to see if anyone has ran these against Tekton.

13. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

Interesting! How would you compare them to the AN-E? Were you hoping the AN-E would top the Enzo's?

14. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Which ones are these?

15. c-eling

Kristofa likes this.
  16. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Excellent advice. I have Pendragons and a Sphinx. It is an excellent combination, but it is not a distinctly tube sound. I have been thinking about a Raven, perhaps the Osprey. I love my Pens, and the buying experience was fine, but I, too have read some of the horror stories. I gather it is a very small, very hands on shop, and I’m conjecturing that success is jamming his cogs.

Helom likes this.
  17. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Still loving my Tekton Electrons. So good with vinyl.

[​IMG]

18. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

To add to that, I did have an issue with one of the speakers being damaged during shipment. My only gripe is that they do cut corners, literally, on the packaging. A solid drop on one of edges would be enough to do some damage, esp. on one of the heavier speakers.

While it was an inconvenience, they did replace the speaker in a timely manner, and all is well now.

Tim Irvine likes this.
  19. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Those Electrons are tempting. Anyone know the difference with the SEs vs the standard Electron? Also, what center would go well with them if I put them in my HT/music system?

Edit: From the website it looks like the Center Channel LP would fit where I need it and probably match the Electrons closely.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  20. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yeah, that's the logical conclusion, that you'd get tube bloom and dimension while retaining the bass of SS. Unfortunately, that amp falls short on both ends. It's as though the hyrid design negates the most positive traits of both approaches. Stupidly, I tried the Pharaoh after the Sphinx thinking I just hadn't spent enough to get there. Nothing against Rogue as a whole. I think they make great sounding full-tube amps for a fair price, considering they're U.S. made. I have the Cronus II which is leagues ahead of the hybrids, even with the factory supplied tubes.

If you want to stick with American made gear and you want to buy new, Quicksilver Audio offers a 20 watt/ch tube integrated, though it doesnt come with a remote. Decware also makes a couple affordable amps, but with less power. There's a few one-man-show outfits, like Still Audio, that make some very nice amps that cost a little more than the Rogue stuff.

Forgot to mention Ascend Acoustics and Salk Sound in my earlier post. Their models are less efficient, but still enough that ~30 tube watts should be ample for most listening.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. jaybird396

jaybird396 Forum Resident

I'm running Pendragons in a room similar to yours. No need to put them in a corner. They are actually not too fussy about placement.

I'm powering them with Quicksilver mid mono tube amps which are 40 wpc. I frequently play them at pretty high volume levels and the amps have never run out of steam.

Adam Truckey likes this.
  22. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I'm running my Impacts with a Rogue 99 Pre / Stereo 90 Amp. Rogue's full tube amps have more of a hybrid sound to them as is, which i like. I could imagine an actual hybrid from them would miss the mark.

23. Adam Truckey

There is a nice lightly used Chronus II for sale on audiogon for $1800 right now.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Double Impact or Impact monitors. If it were me:)

Fredtones likes this.
  25. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I wanted to try both. Very different speakers. The AN-Es are clean, detailed and accurate and have startling reality to the sound. They are capable of clean, melodic, deep deep bass, beautiful midrange and ethereal treble. With good source material, you can experience hair-standing-on-your-back moments of bliss. They are, however, merciless with badly mastered or recorded music. Excessively sibilant recordings are especially bothersome. They are very sensitive to placement and the associated equipment. Minute changes to either can make surprising differences in the final result.
    The Tekton Enzo XL are slightly warmer overall than the AN-E. They have great overall impact. Tight effortless powerful bass, smooth midrange and treble, the music coming out of them indeed fills the room. They sound great with every kind of music, obviously at home with rock, but instruments such as acoustic piano or strings sound lovely also. They are more forgiving of bad material. Even records that I turn off in disgust on the AN-Es can sound quite pleasant through the Tektons. With the front firing ports, they are unfussy about placement, but they do like some space around them, especially on the sides.

waterclocker and Kristofa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.