Aretha Franklin Lady Soul MONO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter Marchesi, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Marchesi

Peter Marchesi 1% Thread Starter

Hi, I am a New Member and would like to make a comment and ask a question regarding Lady Soul.

Recently,I have Found the MONO Versions have become almost Impossible to Find.Has Anyone Else

Experienced This?Also,I recently Found a Red/Purple 2 Step Label with AT LW W and JA in the Deadwax.

I Believe the "JA" Stands for Engineer Jack Adams?Does Anyone Else have any of these same Copies

WITH the JA etched in the Matrices? I Love this Album!!

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

This album is indeed not easy to find in mono. I think it came out around the time mono was being fazed out? I’ll have to check my copy and see what the deadwax says.

Peter Marchesi likes this.
  3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Atlantic was very good at recording and stereo, so stereo-to-mono transition for them was easy and quick.

Man at C&A and Peter Marchesi like this.
  4. chacha

I have two mono copies of this album. One is like yours with JA in deadwax. My other is a Columbia pressed stamped pressing.

5. Peter Marchesi

Thank You for responding.I Did have Two Other Copies as well but Sold Them before I knew How Rare these are.One was a Columbia Terre-Haute like Yours!

chacha likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

UK pressings aren't so rare, but I don't know if they are dedicated mono or a fold.

7. Peter Marchesi

this may help You.This is the (CT) Version.I have been trying to get the (JA) Added to Discogs inventory,with no luck.

Aretha Franklin - Lady Soul

8. Peter Marchesi

Yes,I have One,Sounds different from US.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Lady Soul in mono is a holy grail of mine

10. Peter Marchesi

I was lucky enough to come across 4 Copies so far,Still have Two,Sold the Other Two and still kicking Myself.

chacha likes this.
  11. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

I have a Terra Haute Machine stamped copy, 1A/1B.
    Not a “JA” but still sounds nice...

chacha and Peter Marchesi like this.
  12. chacha

Yes mine is a Terra Haute as well. Oddly, I think it sounds better than the Atlantic JA copy as I recall. Been a long time since I played.

13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I pulled my 2 copies of Lady Soul this morning but both are stereo. One must be an RCA stamped with t 1 and maybe AB..so light I can't really tell but it has pink/gold label STA. It does not (weaker, more distant) sound as good as the other an OG with green/blue labels, AT LW.

I also pulled this to see if I was gonna keep it and of course I am :nyah: :rolleyes:. Side 1 alone is worth the price of admission.

[​IMG]

14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

My copy is a Presswell pressing - with JA scribed. It has a small orange color DJ Promo copy sticker on the cover and a DJ Promo copy inkstamp on one label. Labels are switched from the sides however! No biggie - still sounds great.

15. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I have a Lady Soul mono pressed at Monarch with JA in the deadwax. My preferred way to listen to the album. FWIW, his initials are not in the deadwax of my other Atlantic mono pressings of Never Loved a Man, Arrives, and Now (the latter two also being Monarchs).

16. mrgopal

mrgopal If you get bit Just hate the bite.

I have a copy too. It's sounds glorious. Probably my favorite mono recording. Anybody know if it's a fold-down? Also, why hasn't it been reissued? All the multi-track tapes were destroyed in a fire but they have the masters. Maybe the mono master was lost or something?

Also, I would never sell mine. But i just wonder why the highest sold price on discogs is $60???

17. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

My mono copy has the same JA, AT, and LW etched into the dead wax as yours does. This one is a winner in mono: definitely worth seeking out.

PM 1331 likes this.
  18. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

I got a UK mono for cheap. Some tracks sound really good, others just OK. I never checked to see if the better sounding tracks were those released as mono singles.

19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Just a reminder that in the excellent Aretha Atlantic Recordings 1960’s box set on Rhino (vinyl) the two mono albums are I NeverLoved a Man and Aretha Arrives, with Lady Soul, Aretha Now, and Soul 69 in stereo, and the outtakes album is a mix of both.

musicFAN61 and bluejimbop like this.
  20. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

I have A/B'd the original Atlantic mono & stereo copies, as this is one of my favorite records. The raucous Cogbill bass parts are nice and prominent in the mono mix.

21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Which record is that? I get lost with all the different titles popping up.

22. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Lady Soul (Atlantic 8176)

Fender Relic likes this.
  23. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I recently purchased a mono copy of the album but it's beat to hell.

24. PM 1331

PM 1331 Well-Known Member

Great Album, especially hard too find in Mono!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.