Ortofon Concorde 40 Anniversary

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by andybeau, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident Thread Starter

Arrived today and sounding nice from the start.
    Ortofon blurb
    'The cartridge that ensured the survival of Ortofon through the last decade of the 20th century
    The Concorde 40 Anniversary uses the 2M Blue improved engine, which provides an increased output of 5.5 mV with a full-range reproduction and a high level of sonic accuracy. The sound is open, balanced, dynamic and detailed.
    Features: Nude Elliptical diamond and split pole pins with a copper wire.
    The Concorde 40 Anniversary has an intergated cartridge and headshell desing and is for direct and easy mounting and replacement on S-shaped tonearms with universal/SME connector'
    [​IMG]

PooreBoy and Dubmart like this.
  2. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Looks great.
    What do you do if the stylus is slightly misaligned?
    You can't shift it around in the headshell because there IS no headshell.
    If I bought one I would want to try it on my arm and send it back if the stylus is the least bit crooked.
    Other than that the advantage of no headshell is pretty obvious...one less mechanical connection to cause agita.
    Any event congrats.
    Love the sound of the OM20 and think it is the sweet spot of the original OM series.
    Apparently your cart has a similar profile needle. An elliptical.
    Very full and not a bit "hot" in the upper treble...just a smoothie all around.
    I have OM10-20-30. Didn't like the 40 as it seemed pretty off in the high treble using my Jolida JD9.
    Is this special version of the Concord able to run the OM series styli like the regular Concord can?
    By the way KAB says the non Concord OM series sounds better than the new Blue-Red-Black.
    Don't know why as Ortofon thinks the opposite and has "improved" the motor of the new series.
    Does anyone on the forum have experience comparing the two series?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

No length adjustment on tone arm as on a headshell. Is that an issue? My Luxman PD-272 with Micro Seiki TA-1 tone arm does not have a detachable head shell. I cannot use it.

4. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

ortofon concode century & ortofon TT - very nice looking combo[​IMG]

mktracy likes this.
  5. wonky

wonky Forum Resident

Looks great!
    How does it work on the 1200GR with the height of the arm?

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Both this and the Century are expensive for what they are. This one is like getting a 2M Blue plus a $100 headshell. Not much adjustment so the stylus better be perfectly mounted as others said. I'm sure it sounds fine.

juno6000 likes this.
  7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yeah, seems a lot! Especially when you can get the KAB version using the om40 fg70 stylus for under $400

snorker, MusicNBeer and patient_ot like this.
  8. andybeau

Perfectly

9. andybeau

They're anniversary products for us Ortofon fanboys :D and I did get a free Blue cart with the GR which I'm selling so not so much :righton:

patient_ot and recstar24 like this.
  10. I suppose they are designed for Technics MKII or same geometry turntables, anyway, does anybody know what type of alignment is it designed for? Is it like the ordinary concordes for DJs or does it use Baerwald for example?

11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Curious - what do you have your VTA dial at? Assuming you’re using the stock mat

12. wonky

wonky Forum Resident

I remember from another thread, that you are using the KAB Concorde. Is the KAB-Concorde the "old" Concorde design for the "old" generation of Technics TTs? And do you have to use a thicker mat? I looked at the KAB site, but it doesn't seem clear to me, if these KAB-Concordes are compatible with the new Technics.

13. andybeau

Set at zero with stock mat the arm is level and stylus looks good

recstar24 likes this.
  14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Correct - the older KAB concorde design. The new technics tonearms still use the 52mm spec alignment for their carts, which the older concorde still utitlizes. I am using the stock thinner mat for the GR, but I actually have my VTA at 1 as that actually lines up level for me, using the lined notecard technique. In terms of sound, everything sounds good with no tracking issues or distortion so I'm happy as of now, clearly better than my stock headshell with ortofon 2m blue.

andybeau and patient_ot like this.
  15. wonky

wonky Forum Resident

Good to know, thanks. I thought the Concorde System would eventually not have the necessary height. I will look into the KAB.

16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Keep in mind the "KAB Concorde" is just the Concorde body used in the DJ line with an OM series stylus on it. There's no real benefit from sourcing these parts from KAB, presumably you can get them easier on your side of the Atlantic.

bootbox likes this.
  17. wonky

wonky Forum Resident

Ok, that really is interesting. I just looked on the KAB website and it says "custom assembled" - that's why i thought it would be exclusive. Great - ordering from USA wouldn't have been my favourite. Thanks!

Rolltide likes this.
  18. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Meh!
    A gussied up 2M blue, and less adjustable

19. andybeau

What's to adjust, designed for the Technics :winkgrin: and the OM always kicks 2M ass :uhhuh:

recstar24 and Rolltide like this.
  20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Follow up question - what was your method for checking tonearm level with the Concorde? This is purely for me to to possibly recheck mine if needed.

21. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

anyone tried the Ortofon Concorde Century with their Technics 1200/1210 turntables?

22. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Looks like KAB has sold out of the 40th anniversary cartridge. KAB does have some 40 styli left. The Lab combo of the 40th cartridge and OM40 is fantastic on my Technics 1200gr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.