What’s the highest selling album that was never issued on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoporJoe, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Most likely the winner here...

I'm sure there's a gold seller from the 1950's still unavailable... perhaps a couple.

2. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

One reason why the original vinyl is soooooo expensive! Hasn't been reissued either.

Platterpus likes this.
  3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

A long overdue reissue IMO.

4. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I'm guessing that it's something by Glenn Miller.

fluffskul, uzn007 and Duke Fame like this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes.

6. Sound of the Suburbs

Sound of the Suburbs Forum Resident

Along with the Beatles compilations mentioned above, another possible is the Elvis Presley 40 Greatest hits album released in 1974 and then reissued after his death. It was one of the biggest selling albums of the 70s in the UK and I don't think has ever been released on cd...

Man at C&A, SoundDoctor and Binni like this.
  7. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

The Life Of Pablo and Rock & Roll Music have both been certified RIAA Platinum. About equal in sales (or album-equivalent units) it seems.

fluffskul likes this.
  8. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I think "Buckingham Nicks" doesn't count since it wasn't a big seller. I doubt that the general public was even aware of it until after they joined FM.

I'm guessing it has to be a compilation like the already mentioned Rock and Roll Music.
    Here's a few more :

The Beatles -"Reel Music" (1982) #19
    "20 Greatest Hits" (1982) #50
    "Hey Jude" (1970) #2
    The Bee Gees -"Gold, Vol One" (1976) #50
    The Doors -"13" (1970) #25
    and although it was included (in a different running order) on "Rare Masters", Elton's "Friends" Soundtrack has never appeared on CD on it's own. Released in 1971, it reached #36

Galaga King, Colinjpush and Jarleboy like this.
  9. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

4 of the 5 tracks have appeared on CD, if that counts.

10. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I don’t think we should include compilation albums.

11. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident Thread Starter

That’s a good point. So what’s the highest selling, non-compilation, originally sold on vinyl, album that never made it to CD?

12. Why Rubber Rodeo's She Had To Go EP of course, it went triple platinum in under 7 weeks, yet never issued on CD!....... I kid :D
    [​IMG]

zphage, uzn007 and Fullbug like this.
  13. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

14. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

In keeping with those Beatle compilations, is it possible there's an Elvis one that has never been issued on CD?

15. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Yeah, man!

Well, turn it up, man! :D

I’ve got the CDs.

SRC, juno6000, Timothy Fiacco and 7 others like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Neil Young - Journey Through The Past has to be a contender.

Also, I've never seen CDs of Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood's albums, but they must have come out somewhere at some point.

Just looked on Discogs and 'Nancy & Lee' and 'Nancy & Lee Again' have never been reissued on CD. The first one was a huge seller at the time too.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Fullbug likes this.
  17. borderwolf

borderwolf prisoner of rock'n'roll

It peaked at #45, but for sure this is not a bestseller, also nobody knows how many copies has sold.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know it wasn't a massive seller, but most massive sellers have been released on CD as it makes no sense not to. I do think Nancy & Lee is a good call, I don't know about the US, but that was a big album in the UK. It only reached no 17, but sold steadily over a few years in the late 60s & early 70s. Second hand vinyl copies are quite common.

borderwolf likes this.
  19. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Hey Jude is released as part of the American albums box. But are compilations realy interesting in this case? Usually they are replaced by new compilations. More interesting are the original albums that were never released.

20. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

Vivid Sound released this in March 2017 in Japan as a mini lp CD (Sold out in the meanwhile), however I don't know if Vivid Sound is a legitimate outfit

21. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

I'd imagine The Kids From Fame albums sold pretty well in the UK but only the first one was ever released on CD.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I don't think it did as well as the first album, but it still spent 21 weeks on the charts, reaching number 2. However, the total sales probably weren't that great compared to many albums that have stayed in print over the years. Albums that sell well on their initial release are often forgotten once they drop of the charts.

23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

There are many, many compilation albums (almost every act has one or more) and not every one warrants a cd release imo.
    More interesting to focus on studio and live albums that never made it to cd.

Not sure how many were sold, but Dave Clark's 'Time - The Album' and the Muppet Show cast albums were never reissued on cd. I know I'd welcome them.

Galaga King, Man at C&A and EdwinM like this.
  24. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The Nancy & Lee album is included on this compilation: Nancy & Lee* - Nancy & Lee

Nancy & Lee 3 was released on CD, but is very pricey.

PhantomStranger and Man at C&A like this.
  25. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Hey Jude and Yesterday & Today in their original Capitol mixes/masters form.

The recent reissues have been revised as far as 'sound' goes, even if they have the same song listings.

limoges and Jimmy B. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.