I'm at a motel, watching my first 4K broadcast on a 4k set

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, I actually worked on Roller Boogie! (Actually a Linda Blair movie.) And it was haaaaarible. The people who made it were very nice. I've often said this movie and Xanadu basically killed disco.

We enjoy HBO and Showtime all the time, particularly their original shows.

sberger likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep, original content is all I'm interested in. There's a bunch of older series that I like to re-watch periodically, but I get that from my hard disk library. I go to the streamers for the new stuff, such as The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, which is now showing.

sberger and Vidiot like this.
  3. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Xanadu introduced the 80's like no other. Good riddance to disco and hello to change. The 80's rocked and I can think of no other movie that made a musical/visual decade statement like this Mortal Kombat/Big Trouble in Little China (which obviously influnced MK) like laser extravaganza.

4. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

It wasn't, OP posts similar threads on other subjects.

genesim and SamS like this.
  5. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Some sets have a "True Cinema" type setting to reduce judder on 24p material from 60hz sources. These do not introduce Telenovela effect.
    Also, there are features like auto local dimming on FALD sets that should be left on.

6. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

LG must figure that the US likes fake, plastic looking people more than the UK does, so it lets us set our own preferences, whereas you're left with their defaults ;)

7. gary191265

8. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

rtings have calibrated settings for many models, a good starting point for many.

9. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Look at their streaming compressed viewng habits.

Was watching a 4K stream just the other day. Total utter garbage compared to bluray let alone 4K bluray.

Awesome website!

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

One of the advantages of motels is room service, morning cleaner.

11. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

You have got some seriously bad settings there. This goes against every reviewer like...ever.

See 4K Philadelphia for example. I mean seriously....I ask myself, does it get any better???

gary191265 likes this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I tell them to skip the clean, because I feel guilty about making it dirty.

Awful. And it was on four times a day. But now I'm forced to watch either "Rampage" or "Taxi" with Jimmy Fallon, so I'm almost longing for the days of "Rollerboogie."

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What do you do with your valuables when she does get in?

14. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

That's true, it reminds me of watching Dark Shadows as a kid, which had this same kind of look.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

People have called motion-compensation "the soap opera look." Many critics said the same thing about Peter Jackson's 48fps The Hobbit when that was first released. Jackson subsequently added more motion blurring to the later films in their 24fps releases and reduced the "digital" kind of look.

Deesky and troggy like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think this is a good idea, because every TV set manufactured is different. The unit they make on a Thursday doesn't look like the one made on a Monday. I've seen five sets with sequential serial numbers look different from each other but with identical knob settings. They really have to be individually calibrated or else they're going to be off.

RolandG and SamS like this.
  17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The biggest way they have changed, besides upping the original content, is by offering streaming versions of their service that allow you to watch whatever they have available on-demand. This basically makes them "expensive Netflix" with less overall content, but more recent big studio movies.

Vidiot likes this.
  18. gary191265

I didn't infer that it was exact, quite the opposite in fact. What it will do, however, is get your TV to ballpark decent, which you can then still tweak. It will certainly be better than in was out of the box, will it not?

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Something was wrong with the stream, or your set.

20. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Uh no. My cable connection has almost 1000mbps. The average Netflix speed what...12 to 20 at best?

It is not like it is a secret. Go to any review site that compares streams to bluray.

Netflix and Amazon "4K" are for people that don't know any better. Film fans that seek quality aren't wasting their time with often less than DVD bit rates that are choked out by Netflix...not the cable company (factually prven with nation wide bit rate data).

When I say that 4K blurays look better this can be factually proven. When someone says that 4K streams looks better that is factually wrong (most cases...not saying there can't be garbage blurays too).

When I say 4K streams looks like garbage I am comparing to high bit rate blurays or just about any 4K bluray.

This has nothing to do with settings.

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No one said 4K streaming looks “better”. But “garbage” is hyperbolic, and I challenge you to show me any demonstrable proof where a 4K stream is worse than the equivalent Blu-ray.

I have 150+ 4K movies via iTunes. Can you give some specific garbage examples?

budwhite likes this.
  22. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Grabage is less of a bit rate than bluray.

So examples. Almost ALL OF THEM.

Check the size of your file. Check your bit rates. Open your eyes. You see the compression artifacts? Mackroblocking...halo...edge enhancements etc.

You wanna believe a 15 gig file is going to be the same as a high bit rate well encoded bluray that is twice the size...sure go ahead. I can't make you believe.

But I do know what I see and it ain't pretty.

P.S. how is that lossless audio working out for ya? Lossy Atmos is sure messy. Like faux Apple 4K.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Bit rate means nothing. Ever see a 9Mbps MPEG-2 DVD vs 8 Mbps AVC Blu-ray?

You still haven’t given me any explicit examples where a 4K stream is worse than its Blu-ray counterpart, why not? Screenshots would be awesome.

budwhite and Deesky like this.
  24. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

P.S. most of my critics was at Netflix and Amazon.

Apple should be better because of their interface that is exclusive.

I will never ever support that crap.

Why do I need to do it when others have done it ad nauseum. Google bud. Why reinvent the wheel?

Obviously I am comparing similar compression. Comparing DVD like several generations back...really??

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not necessarily. Re-read what I said. The numbers are arbitrary and meaningless.

I'm with Sam on this: 4K HDR streaming if you have a fast internet connection can look exceptionally good. I've been extremely impressed with what I see on Amazon, Netflix, and Apple TV... but we have a 1Gbps connection.

SamS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.