Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Keef tried to keep it that way too I believe.

2. All Down The Line

Gram Parsons some say abstained for a time then used a similar or larger dose when his tolerance was lowered.

alchemy likes this.
  3. All Down The Line

I recall at least one interview on the original Japanese Pressing (not a Jimi one) that was not on my Australian copy so I assume not on the US copy either.
    I own neither now but believe it was on side 4.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  4. All Down The Line

The 2005 DVD is great as not only is there tons more interviews from the 1973 film's outtakes (I heard many were originally sent to landfill by mistake and lost) but includes all in b&with the full 12 minute released BOG Machine gun plus two more various venue's performances.
    If I recall correctly there is a little feature called from a UK elements To A Strat on disc 2 as well.

Tim Bucknall, E.Baba and Purple Jim like this.
  5. All Down The Line

Very Interesting.
    I always wondered why Mick Jagger of all people would say in a Rolling Stone Interview no less that Hendrix got into Heroin!

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  6. All Down The Line

Yes that acoustic Hear My Train from 19/12/67 in London is extraordinary.
    He was not actually expecting to play it but was handed the 12 string guitar which didn't even belong to him by the director as he wanted a blues or something more personal of Jimi.
    The noodling was in part to get a feel for it and rehearse a few lines, also there was not acres of expensive film available to be used on the shoot hence Jimi's comment on that front not to waste any.

EVOLVIST and alchemy like this.
  7. All Down The Line

And had fat matresses and wore golden underwear!

8. All Down The Line

Now I remember why (in part) i did not buy it at the time.

9. All Down The Line

It is on the boots!

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yup, and it sounds pretty jarring. Herbie Rich was a very talented musician though!

11. All Down The Line

It should read from a UKELE TO A STRAT!

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  12. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

At IOW It probably annoyed Hendrix at the time but the security radios coming through the P.A. actually works well at some points.
    Is that on IOW Machine Gun ?
    I only have the old IOW Polydor single LP and CD in physical media so the movie Soundtrack is probably the only physical place I have it. (and my PC just hit a hole).

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  13. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Yeah. The 'noodling ' is him very quickly getting to grips with a new instrument, knocking out a piece that he never repeats and then the film does run out .

Tim Bucknall and alchemy like this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I would love it when your done, that you report back to us with your findings.

15. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Way easier to retune the guitar and bass than the organ! :agree:

Tim Bucknall and DTK like this.
  16. John Harchar

Oh that it is! I spliced the full Are You Experienced 17 minute jam together from the box, the Winterland +3 version and the boots and it took a while. I knew something was off on one of the Red Houses, it just seemed to0 short. Then people here mentioned the solo was edited and that's what it was. Will have to go back and fix that...someday.

On the opposite end, Hear My Train A Comin' gets almost 3 minutes added back in on the box compared to the Concerts version. So they give with one hand, take away with the other...

Tim Bucknall and footlooseman like this.
  17. All Down The Line

I just watched The 24/02/69 Albert Hall show for the first time in years tonight and was reminded just how ON Jimi was for the show.
    Very consistent show until the 2 encores.
    The film also has nice footage of Jimi travelling Europe, Playing Hound Dog on acoustic in his London flat with Kathy Etchingham & friends, being interviewed & wishing a good morning goodbye to German super groupie Uschi Obermaier.
    This concert will please so many when it is released!

Tim Bucknall, SG47 and EVOLVIST like this.
  18. John Harchar

It's a pretty good film for its time, would've been a nice companion to Jimi Plays Berkeley.

Once this whole legal situation is sorted out, we'll get a whole new presentation of the material, hopefully twice as long. Will they even be able to put out the original version if they wanted to at that point? I guess it would depend on the settlement/resolution. Great marketing: "Also included: the long lost Hendrix film!"

19. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Well if you believe Bill Greenfield Keef was mainlining at Nelcotte during the Exile sessions. He claims Keef would disappear upstairs during breaks and they would go looking for him and find him passed out with a needle in his arm. I read his autobio "Life" a long time ago so don't remember this part but evidently, he used to shoot into his bum.

Keith Richards: the Keef facts

Richards admits using toy syringes to inject drugs

20. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

This brings up an interesting question across the board, as we move into the Winterland shows: At what point is it sacrilege to edit the tapes for consumption?

On one hand, do we besmirch EH for putting the organ low in the mix so that it doesn't sound horrible? Does the extra few minutes of drum solo in "Tax Free" from LA '69 add anything, or does the edit lessen the performance?

Should the rule of thumb to always be to leave it as-is? Or, because it's a concert, more of an organic thing than a studio recording, is there room for artistic license by the producers?

21. John Harchar

Back then, I have a little more leniency towards the whole thing as far as editing and splicing live albums. I mean, Allman Brothers At Fillmore East has a few edits for crying out loud! You had to think in terms of album sides and the like, plus presenting the best you have to a buying public.

These days...I'm a bit more stringent since the constraints don't really exist anymore. Unless it's something egregious like the out of tune guitar in Hey Baby at Atlanta, I'm looking at them more as performing a historical function and want to hear as much as possible. Considering how short the drum solo is in Tax Free from LA, best to just leave it alone. Herbie's organ at Winterland...use it in the mix to give a flavor of how it sounded. I wouldn't have begrudged EH if they'd taken the audience tape and used it to plug the hole in the Hollywood Bowl concert.

jhm and footlooseman like this.
  22. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I thought it worked as well, hearing "Security" during such a dramatic song adds to the ambiance for the audience. Playing it live would annoy me if I was on stage, but listening to it after the fact might make me think it's a good mistake.

23. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Live shows do really need to be warts and all, even the odd minute or so of out of tune material.

There is little excuse for editing out any minutes let alone full songs. OK, I get that some times, to make a show fit 2 sides of vinyl then a little editing is allowed and required but that's about it. But that does not apply to the CD of course or downloads.

It's not like we can go see Hendrix on his next world tour, we have a history of shows and there is no reason to not present this material as is and in full.

Mixing is a whole different ball game. Sure, mix some things more forward than others and hide [to a degree] some "off" moments. I know for sure, whatever mix is presented there is always a moan but we can't all be happy with the end result.

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

There are some really pointless edits on the Winterland box set. Sniping off half of Star Spangled Banner (or rather, combining one performance with another), 2 minutes from Red House etc. that have no real musical reason.

What I did like was that they ducked the issue with the out of tune organ by mixing it low. It's still there. Virgil Gonsalves' flute solo on Are You Experienced was mixed way too low though. He's in tune, I don't see the problem.

That said I think there are some Hendrix performances that are too rough for mainstream releases:
    -Hey Baby from Atlanta. Good call to leave it off.
    -Some of Larry Lee's playing from Woodstock. He was out of tune a lot.
    -Wild Thing from Royal Albert Hall which is very out of tune (will be interesting to see if EH include it)

25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That wine story has been revealed as rubbish. The bottom line seems to be that the massive overdose of barbiturates killed Jimi.

As always, it depends on who you believe. Kathy Etchingham got the inquest opened again in the 90s and Scotland Yard interviewed people; characteristically one of the officers said he was convinced several of the key people were lying. We will probably never know the full truth.