Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I'll recommend Keep Your Soul Together to you, if you haven't heard it. Polar AC is a pretty good set of leftovers from his CTI period, too.

Lonson, Yesternow and AaronW like this.
  2. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I found a late 60s black/red label pressing of this at a local record shop not long ago but I passed because there was a scuff on side 2 that I could feel with my fingers. I never mind scuffs generally, but if I can feel them, no way.

Mirror Image likes this.
  3. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Second martini of the evening. What is it about drinking a martini and listening to great jazz that makes you feel like a king? :D

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
    1958/1960, Blue Note Records - Mono, RVG stamp and Plastylite ear on both sides

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

timzigs, Xelfo, bluemooze and 14 others like this.
  4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Yeah, there’s no point in buying something that’s just not in, at the very least, very good condition.

OldJohnRobertson and Mugrug12 like this.
  5. Mirror Image

Great album! I just received the Analogue Productions’ hybrid SACD of this album today in the mail. Can’t wait to spin it. :)

Crispy Rob and OldJohnRobertson like this.
  6. Mirror Image

Getz/Gilberto (Analogue Productions hybrid SACD)

[​IMG]

Xelfo, bluemooze, Erik B. and 11 others like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Notice Jack Kerouac is included

[​IMG]

bluemooze, bluejimbop, xybert and 2 others like this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Indeed. I'm listening to a Rodney Crowell concert from Glasgow in 2009 at the moment. :shh:

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob and jazz_case like this.
  9. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

I got a new batch of discs from Japan today. Started with this one:

John Williams - The John Williams Trio [EmArcy MG 36061/UCCU-9737]
    [​IMG]

Also today (though not from the recent order from Japan):

Keith Jarrett - A Multitude of Angels, Disc 4 (Genova, October 30, 1996) [ECM 2503 570 2530]
    [​IMG]

And

Michael Dessen - Between Shadow and Space [Clean Feed CF106CD]
    [​IMG]
    With Michael Dessen: trombone and electronics; Christopher Tordini: bass; Tyshawn Sorrey: percussion

Michael Dessen - Forget the Pixel [Clean Feed CF222CD]
    [​IMG]
    With Michael Dessen: trombone and electronics; Christopher Tordini: bass; Dan Weiss: drums

Michael Dessen - Resonating Abstractions [Clean Feed CF291]
    [​IMG]
    With Michael Dessen: trombone and electronics; Christopher Tordini: bass; Dan Weiss: drums.

Between Shadow and Space is my favorite of the trio of Dessen albums, and by a pretty wide margin. It's a terrific album. The other two I'm still working on. They just don't have the same amount of forward momentum that Between has.

bluemooze, Erik B., jay.dee and 4 others like this.
  10. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Starting the day with

Henri Renauld & His All Stars

[​IMG]

11. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Are there Nat Cole albums with just playing, not singing? If so which one should I get first?

12. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Was literally looking at this album on my shelf last night thinking that i would listen to it today. Nice surprise to see someone else in the world was having a similar thought at some stage recently. Cheers.

Xabby likes this.
  13. Berthold

Miles Davis: "The Charlie Parker Years 3"

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Erik B., Jacline and 3 others like this.
  14. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

After discovering Makaya McCraven's Universal beings on here, I've gone back & bought his 2015 album, In The Moment, which is also incredible. Some amazing vibes playing on there.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Rob C, Hank and 4 others like this.
  15. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

I especially appreciate his albums of the 70s. Great choice. Enjoy it! :righton:

xybert likes this.
  16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Most of the great trio albums are both instrumental and vocal. And of course, most of the pre-pop singer years were also pre-album era so they're not necessarily albums in the modern sense. The Complete Capitol Transcription Sessions is one of my favorite Nat Cole Trio records -- because the trio stretches out a bit and the sound is great, but I think it's OOP on CD. It is streaming. Also streaming is the Complete Capitol Recordings of the Nat Cole Trio -- yeah, it's 16 hrs of music, but you don't need to listen to it all at once, that has the transcription dates and the record dates.

But you pretty much can't go wrong with any of the trio recordings of the '40s, where you get not just the great Nat Cole but the astounding Oscar Moore, one of the best and most influential guitarists of the era. In the '50s, when Cole became more of a "stand-up singer," the albums are more often orchestrated pop songs. In the early '50s he made one 10" trio instrumental LP for Capitol -- Nat Cole at the Piano, and an instrumental album without the classic trio Penthouse Serenade, but after that there was only one more instrumental record, and it was with an orchestra conducted by Nelson Riddle. If you're looking for the jazziest trio stuff, the music from those '40s 78 LPs and the '46-'50 Capitol transcriptions are the best stuff. But again, some of the trio tunes were vocal, some instrumental.

Swingin'

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

A little more Nat Cole, Johnny Miller & Oscar Moore, from the mid '40s:

bluemooze, Starwanderer and Robitjazz like this.
  18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

One of my favorite trio instrumental performances from the Capitol transcription recordings, not exactly stretched out but they pack a lot of music into two minutes:

bluemooze and Mugrug12 like this.
  19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

We regret to inform you your account has been suspended...

Management

SnapperMike and Six String like this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

@Mugrug12, I agree with all that chervokas says above, but will add this Capitol album which was released on cd. . . . Not the "Jazziest" piano playing but showcasing Cole's style.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, vanhooserd and Mugrug12 like this.
  21. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I wonder how many new fans that “The scene at the Five Spot back in ‘57 was really special, but anyway this Sunday morning my daughter tells me that this child-like genius reminds her of Tim Hardin” spiel pulled in. Well, it got me to listen to Tim Hardin this morning, at least.

I also wonder if those Brandeis and Village Gate sets might ever get a full release.

Fender Relic likes this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

... and Jacline.

23. Berthold

Oscar Pettiford "Sextet" (1954, Vogue)

[​IMG]

24. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

How much movement is allowed in this thread? This much?

[​IMG]

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Sure, if you're listening to it and want to share do so, and talk about it too if you wish. Refer to the first post for the thread's intent.

Jacline likes this.