50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

Yes, I always assumed it fitted in with the other social activities in the song, duties performed by the characters. In this case a local group of bird enthusiasts who have the man himself as chairperson. And he is struggling to answer an ornithological question.
    A 'Bee' in English rural pursuits, is a social gathering usually arranged under the auspices of the church and overseen by some local dignitary. We retain it in the terms 'Sewing Bee' and 'Spelling Bee'

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

That makes sense, but it also sounds like a pub name.

Lewisboogie and tinnox like this.
  3. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

also,...

"The local Bird and Bee - a typical-sounding name (The Bird and Bee) for
    a local pub, in this case an imaginary one to fit the
    imaginary kingdom about which Lennon writes. It's also
    common to use the term "the local" for same, as in
    "I'm just off down the local for a quick half"
    ( = half-pint of beer, lager, bitter, etc.)."

4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Patti herself had a strange neck at the follow up court appearance on March 31st, although George was parting his hair down the middle again by then.
    [​IMG]

tinnox likes this.
  5. maandrade

maandrade Forum Resident

Paul in February 5, 1969 ("Don't Let Me Down" Mystery Session):

[​IMG]

Paul in February 6, 1969 (Paul speaks with Mirror reporter Don Short after announcing plans to marry Linda Eastman):

[​IMG]

ltdrry and tinnox like this.
  6. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I recall some thinking it may be dialog from the Magic Christian he was filming at the time? Ron

tinnox likes this.
  7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Anyone else feeling thirsty?

8. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

I read the thread about the mystery session but it is too old to post there (at least I can`t).
    So I just say it here (although we are really going OT): Somebody typed out the lyrics for Get Back in the form that it could be what is on the paper, speculating that is what is standing there. I think he could have been right! I just want to add that what we type here and what is on the paper differs insomuch that back then they used typewriters and those were (all?) monospaced, just for consideration. I still think it could be right!

tinnox likes this.
  9. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

This pic is the real smoking gun. Paul looks exactly the same here as in the mystery pic above, likely now dated, 5 February. Since George was hospitalized on the 7th it even makes sense that he didn't contribute backing vocals. See George, "told you that it's not smart to play on a rooftop in January!" Even more smoke... there was a stereo mixing session at Apple on the 5th of the five rooftop songs, including yep, Don't Let Me Down. Most likely they went to the mixing session and then had a rehearsal to test Apple's new gear. Isn't there a picture of Paul playing John's lap steel from this session too? Maybe they busked their way through For You Blue, but with George in distress from inflamed tonsils they concentrated on re-doing vocals (without George) for Don't Let Me Down? Plausible? I suppose. Ron

10. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

Going back to the WA50th, wasn’t supposed to be some kind of a BBC TV documentary on it around this time, just like the one they did on Sgt Peppers? I think @mikecarrera wrote about this months ago.

andrewskyDE, tinnox and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Maybe they could re-remix Eleanor Rigby to put the vocals back in sync...? :cop:

Paul H, tinnox and Lewisboogie like this.
  12. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

True. The only "modern" stereo or surround mix of that song that is fully in sync is the 1+ mix.

RAJ717 and tinnox like this.
  13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I've heard it said that they used a different mixing desk.

Not sure if that's entirely it, but it's a possibility..

Edit: Aaaagh!! A day late...

tinnox and Bern like this.
  14. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

nope, NEVER DID, I've said BBC Radio show/Sirius Radio show (already out), BBC TV was Lennon (also already out)
    No TV show planned for WA

andrewskyDE, tinnox and marmalade166 like this.
  15. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Now that's just cr az y tal k

tinnox likes this.
  16. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

New Bruce Spizer book on The White Album is out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JeffMo, j.barleycorn, hidlive and 8 others like this.
  17. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

That is a good question. I've obviously noticed this term for many years but really just assumed that it was a bit of humorous Lennon wordplay. I think that I always assumed he was talking about a place, so the proposal of a public house (drinking establishment) does make sense. Typically many British 'pubs' have two sometimes connected and sometimes unconnected words to make up the name (The Slug and Lettuce, Rose and Crown etc.) but I always thought that it could possibly be him having some fum with mis-expanding the term B & B. Not sure how world-wide this term is but it stands for Bed and Breakfast in the UK (a place to stay overnight where you pay for a bed overnight and breakfast meal - a less formal hotel establishment if you like, often where a family or individual effectively rents out part of their property as a source of income. It doesn't really make any more sense having a problem with a message at a B & B any more than it would at a pub. Analysing the line now it sort of makes more sense to assume that Lennon is perhaps referring to a local 'Bulletin Board'. I'm not sure if that was a 'thing' then but I have heard of place where a local pin board could be used to leave messages for others. I think that these tend to be more temporary devices at events where one could leave a message to, for example, request "Could Mr Jones' wife please meet him at the main entrance gate" when they have become separated at a Village Fayre or such like. It is perhaps however more likely that Lennon is just having fun with words and that it makes no sense at all and is just there as a bit of nonsense. He was producing these sorts of things all of time and we probably have no reason to believe he is doing anything other than making a phrase rhyme. There are many examples of him throwing nonsense wordplay into songs - "fish and finger pie", "walrus gumboot", "keeps a ten bob note up his nose" etc. It is what intrigues. He even encourages Paul to do likewise ("the movement you need is on your shoulder" story for example.

Seems like this would be an entertaining thread if there is not one already!

NumberEight and tinnox like this.
  18. Tony LeMesmer

Tony LeMesmer Forum Resident

And I thought 'Bird and Bee' was a reference to the term "...the birds and the bees"....No?

19. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I was going to mention that term and missed it out. I'm sure that would have been in the mix somewhere in Lennon's mind. Doesn't make sense in the context of the lyric but John mixed all of these ideas together without really caring whether they made any real sense. It was part of the charm of his songwriting. The fact that we are talking about this fifty years on says it all really. It is like finding little details in a painting that give a clue into the thought processes of an artist years or centuries later.

20. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I always interpreted "the Local Bird and Bee" to be a Lennonism for a prostitute.

21. alanbeat

alanbeat A music loving Chap. PipPip!

ok here is a few
    1/ Birthday
    2/ Yer blues
    3/Helter skelter
    4/Ob La De
    5/ Revolution
    6/ Glass Onion
    7/ your turn....

beatleroadie and tinnox like this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

23. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

Oh, ok thanks Mike. I must have misread it somewhere then.

mikecarrera and tinnox like this.
  24. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Me, too.

tinnox likes this.
  25. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

One of the highlights of the set for me. Stripped back. Just the master of the Beatles (or Threetles ha) playing great.

The orchestration adds a lot to "Glass Onion," but i'd have loved a remix of the master with the guitars forward and without any of the strings and just that cold hard stop at the end.

Psychedelic Good Trip and tinnox like this.