Replacement cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jezep, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezep

Jezep Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

Sadly I've broken my Denon DL160 cartridge (a stylus cleaning mishap) and am looking for recommendations on a replacement under $500.

I like the sound of the Denon but I'm thinking I might try MM types like the Audio-Technica VM740ML, Nagaoka MP-200 and Ortofon 2M bronze or black as they have good reviews and seem easier to fix and upgrade than any of the MC types.

My TT is a Luxman PD284, phono stage a Schitt Mani and I listen to mainly rock, metal, blues and a bit of jazz on mainly old vinyl (but always clean).

If anybody has experience with the above carts or any other types I should look into it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I'd go Nagaoka or Audio-Technica VM 740 ML. Much better sounding than the Ortofon 2M Black, the Bronze is good, but way overpriced. The Audio-Technica MicroLine is a better sounding stylus than a Shibata, and tracks as good or better for less cash outlay. The Nagaoka and Audio-Technica are also good with your tonearm compliance wise.

3. tochsii

tochsii Well-Known Member

I’ll just put this out because, my neighbor kid just killed my Denon DL-110. A poster on Audiogon told me about Joseph.

[email protected]

He buys carts, retips/rebuilds/repairs them & sells them. I just sold him my Denon & he even gave me some very good advice & education on mounting a Sumiko I got on Audiogon. I got
    $40.... which is waaay more than the trash can would have paid me.

Also, dn’t let family con you into “oh that’ll be your Christmas gift”. It’s a daily NECESSITY... not a unnecessary splurge. You don’t give underwear for Christmas. It’s Analogous. lol Good luck with your new cart & I hope you enjoy the crap out of it.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  4. Jezep

Think I will buy a Ortofon 2M Silver to get things up and running now and look to swap in a 2M bronze stylus when funds allow ( I've learnt that the 2M silver cart body has silver coils but uses the red stylus and therefore can be upgraded to near bronze/black specs with a stylus upgrade).
    I will send Joseph a message and see if he'll take my old Denon DL160 but I am in Australia so might not be worth the effort.
    Thanks for all your help.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Thanks for the link. I have a DL-160 that had lost it's diamond, and I asked him for a re-tip estimate.

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I recommend the Nag 200 for Jazz especially, it seems to do that great with really up front and clear imaging compared to the 110, or thats how I remember it. You might lose some depth in the process though.

I also feel like it might be more low end EQ favored. If you prefer a brighter presentation the AT might be better. Never heard so I cant say, but Ive wanted to try one for those poorly EQd records.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@Jezep, if you are in Australia you may want to ask Garrott Brothers about retipping. No personal experience, I just know they are there and are well regarded for retipping and their own carts.

8. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

If I had money to burn, I'd have to try an VM740ML to see if it truly is a better sounding cart than the VM750SH.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I prefer a ML to a SH on my best records (The Shibata is designed for, and excels at one purpose, CD-4 Quadraphonic records)

10. Jezep

I've spoken with Garrott Brothers about retipping and catilever service but pricing makes this only worthwhile on more expensive carts.
    However they have a range of carts I'm considering (K3 or P77i) that seem to compare well with the Ortofon 2M blue/bronze.

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.