Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Where Do You Come From
    [​IMG]

Written By :
    Bob Roberts & Ruth Batchelor

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 26-29, 1962 : March 27, 1962. take 14

"Where Do You Come From" is a song first recorded by Elvis Presley as part of the soundtrack for his 1962 motion picture Girls! Girls! Girls!.[1][2]

Later it was rejected from the motion picture and wasn't used in it,[3][2] but appeared on its soundtrack album Girls! Girls! Girls!.
    --------------------------------------
    This is kind of an interesting one, in some ways it is stylistically different to a lot of Elvis stuff. It is definitely in that ballad line of songs that became a big part of Elvis' sixties and seventies material, but it has a rather unusual melodic structure. It is almost like the framework of a classical piece of music. It is quite a pretty song and Elvis is going for the gentle and tender vocal here.

2. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

This is another contender for my favourite Elvis single. Return To Sender, of course, is a classic song and tons of fun, whilst Where Do You Come From is one of the most beautiful songs Elvis ever sang. A while ago I saw it on a list of Elvis' ten worst songs, which I absolutely couldn't believe. To me, it's one of his (many, many) forgotten gems.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I have never liked "Return To Sender." Its pop appeal is obvious, but I do not find anything remarkable about the song, and do not think it has nearly same dynamic qualities as his other early 1960's era hits. Clearly I am in the minority on this one, but it is one song I frequently skip without hesitation.

4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

And the "now money" attitude reveals his lack of faith in Elvis' greatness in my opinion. Parker didn't seem to care about the development of Elvis' artistry. Because Parker's position was his promotional "skills" were what mattered most in their mutual success. Had the TV Special been a lightweight Andy Williams style Christmas show, Elvis would have never had is phenomenal resurrection in the 1968-1970 period. If only the artistic development continued after 1970!

Dave112, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have to agree with you here on every point and I just think this big hit is highly overrated in almost every aspect. I do not think Elvis ever sang this live, but I could be wrong, and if he didn't, I can sure see why. Pedestrian lyrics, a catchy but very simple melody and a rather flat vocal by Elvis in my opinion. I mean, its a decent song, but I never find myself searching it out to play as there are so many other hidden gems out there to discover and listen to, like Where Do You Come From listed above. What did Peter Guralnick say about the wealth of material the great Charlie Rich had in his catalogue, "You could drown in all the Charlie Rich music that he has recorded over his life?" You could say the same thing about Elvis, despite the dry spell of the mid 1960's that are going to become evident soon.

6. SKATTERBRANE

Like Blue Hawaii's Steppin' Out Of Line, one can see were Where Do You Come From "setup" for the scene to use this song occurs in the movie. I do not know if in either case the scene was actually filmed or not. Does anyone else know?

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

I think Parker recognized that Elvis was great, but he did not view his role as one that was supposed to foster Elvis' artistic abilities and goals, rather his role was to simply promote and market a product, a product that was already great. Elvis was a product. For Parker it was not about "winning Oscars," it was about mass-exposure and revenue streams. As long as he could put people in the seats, why waste time and resources enhancing the quality of the product? Enhancements that may not even lead more success and revenue? Granted, once he watered down the product so much, the deals started to dry up, but Parker never concerned himself with the future, because it was all about the "now money." Saturate the market with product, even if it is substandard, and make a ton of money doing it. When it is over, it is over, but at least Parker would know he maximized earning potential doing it. One sees that philosophy in action throughout the 1960's and 1970's. He was not building a career, he was draining the lake dry. Elvis' enormous talent kept the game going much longer than it would have with most artists under that circumstance.

On some level, one suspects that had the Singer Presents special executed its Christmas theme, that it would have been a death-blow to Elvis' career, which was already on life-support to some degree. The movie studios were no longer entering into deals with Parker and Elvis had essentially abandoned his secular, mainstream recording career. However, even with a Christmas program format for the television special, Elvis may very well have still entered a recording studio in early 1969 to record singles and an album for the new year, and it still may have been with Chips Moman at American.

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  8. SKATTERBRANE

Certainly Elvis was insecure, but Parker was no less so. He feared other strong personalities might lure his golden goose away such as Leiber and Stoller, Chips Moman and others. And of course his fear of letting Elvis tour Europe and Japan without his being there. Parker could not leave the US because of the likelihood that he would not be allowed back in.

mark winstanley, Shawn and RSteven like this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

He did perform it a couple of times between 1975-1976, all somewhat in cringeworthy fashion.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  10. SKATTERBRANE

Well I think fans are just frustrated how such a talent was squandered more than once or twice. It is a testament to his talent that sustained him in spite of it all. It would have been cool to see both a folk album and a true blues album from Elvis in the early 70s. I think it is no secret I am not much of a fan of Elvis' music post Elvis Country.

Iceman08, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

A fan request I believe?

12. PacificOceanBlue

I think so.

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm surprised some folks here have a "meh" attitude towards "Return to Sender." I think it numbers among his greatest 60s singles. It's nice to see him returning to an R&B sound, something he wasn't doing very much around this time period ("Return to Sender" was in fact his last single to make the top ten on the R&B chart). And the song is a nice homage to Jackie Wilson... Elvis sings it in a Wilsonesque style, and really drives the point home by imitating Wilson's moves in the film performance:

hugh . g., artfromtex, ClausH and 3 others like this.
  14. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I'm with you 100% on this. I can't define what it is exactly, but I have never cared for this song. I'm the weird guy that likes lots of Elvis songs that others pay no attention to but not this one. I also skipped it many times on my CD player and it's never included on a playlist of mine.

15. mark winstanley

16. mark winstanley

Girls Girls Girls
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Soundtrack album by
    Elvis Presley
    Released
    November 9, 1962
    Recorded March 1962
    Genre Pop, rock
    Length 29:04
    Label RCA Victor
    Producer Joseph Lilley

Girls! Girls! Girls!
    is the fifth soundtrack album by American singer and musician Elvis Presley, released on RCA Victor Records in mono and stereo, LPM/LSP 2426, in November 1962. It accompanied the 1962 film of the same name starring Presley. Recording sessions took place at Radio Recorders in Hollywood on March 26, 27, and 28, 1962. It peaked at number three on the Top LP's chart. It was certified Gold on August 13, 1963 by the Recording Industry Association of America.[2]

As soundtrack album sales far outstripped his regular album sales (Blue Hawaii outselling Pot Luck with Elvis by ten to one) Presley found himself firmly entrenched in songs designed for a light-entertainment formula of beautiful scenery and girls galore.[3] With this discrepancy in sales, the formula of the soundtrack music became the focus.

Sixteen songs were recorded at the sessions in March, of which thirteen were used for the soundtrack album.[4] Banished from the kingdom after running afoul of the Colonel, songs from favored writers Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller could only be those already written for someone else, in this case the title track being a hit for The Coasters in 1961 before being adapted for the Presley film.[5]

The tracks "Return to Sender" and "Where Do You Come From" were issued as both sides of a single in October 1962, one month before the release of the soundtrack LP. "Return to Sender" became a substantial hit for Presley, peaking at number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100, while the b-side "Where Do You Come From" peaked at only number 99 independently of the hit side.[6]

The songs performed by Stella Stevens in the film — "Never Let Me Go", "The Nearness Of You" and "Baby, Baby, Baby" — were in fact mimed to the singing voice of Gilda Maiken and have yet to be commercially released.[7]

Side one
    1. "Girls! Girls! Girls!" Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller March 27, 1962 2:34
    2. "I Don't Wanna Be Tied" Bill Giant, Bernie Baum, Florence Kaye March 28, 1962 2:08
    3. "Where Do You Come From" Ruth Bachelor and Bob Roberts March 27, 1962 2:08
    4. "I Don't Want To" Janice Torre and Fred Spielman March 26, 1962 2:42
    5. "We'll Be Together" Charles O'Curran and Dudley Brooks March 28, 1962 2:17
    6. "A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You" Sid Tepper and Roy C. Bennett March 27, 1962 2:20
    7. "Earth Boy" Sid Tepper and Roy C. Bennett March 28, 1962 2:24

Side two
    1. "Return to Sender" Otis Blackwell and Winfield Scott March 27, 1962 2:09
    2. "Because of Love" Ruth Bachelor and Bob Roberts March 27, 1962 2:34
    3. "Thanks to the Rolling Sea" Bill Giant, Bernie Baum, Florence Kaye March 26, 1962 1:31
    4. "Song of the Shrimp" Sid Tepper and Roy C. Bennett March 27, 1962 2:21
    5. "The Walls Have Ears" Sid Tepper and Roy C. Bennett March 27, 1962 2:32
    6. "We're Comin' In Loaded" Otis Blackwell and Winfield Scott March 26, 1962 1:24

FTD
    14. "Mama" 1:00
    15. "Plantation Rock" 1:57
    16. "Dainty Little Moonbeams" / "Girls! Girls! Girls" (end title) 1:57
    17. "A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You" (takes 1,2) 4:50
    18. "Mama" (takes 1, 2, 3, 4) 3:21
    19. "Thanks to the Rolling Sea" (take 3) 1:36
    20. "Where Do You Come From" (take 13) 2:09
    21. "Earth Boy" (movie version takes 2, 4) 3:31
    22. "We'll Be Together" (takes 8,10) 3:36
    23. "Mama" (takes 5, 6, 7, 8) 4:04
    24. "I Don't Wanna Be Tied" (movie version take take 8 & 10 intro) 2:26
    25. "A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You" (takes 3, 4) 3:37
    26. "Thanks to the Rolling Sea" (take 10) 1:26
    27. "Plantation Rock" (take 17, insert) 2:30
    28. "Mama" (take 9) 1:20
    29. "Mama" (The Amigos, take 10) 2:19
    30. "Mama" (instrumental, take 3) 0:44
    31. "Mama" (1970 Let's Be Friends album version) 2:20
    ---------------------------------------------
    Preceded by the single Return To Sender, this album is a pretty solid album. As far as albums go, it isn't as strong as Pot Luck, but I have no idea what was going through the public's mind at the time. I love the Blue Hawaii soundtrack, but find it bizarre that it outsold Either of the more recent studio albums, never mind by a ten to one ratio .... I guess it was a different world .... and I guess poorly executed album titles and covers may well be the problem, but to be honest it all leaves me scratching my head.
    This album sees the introduction of the weird "what on earth" song ... We had previously had Ito Eats and the lullaby, but here we get one of the weirdest pop songs ever recorded in Song Of The Shrimp. but anyhow, we'll get there

What are your thoughts on this album?
    When did you first become aware of it?
    etc etc
    Let us know your thoughts on this album, and tomorrow we'll get into the first couple of songs
    Cheers,
    Mark

Iceman08 likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

I guess I'm somewhat surprised that Return To Sender has its detractors .... I always thought it was a pretty cool song, with a fun lyric ... but each to their own :)

RSteven and DirkM like this.
  18. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I think I've already mentioned how much I love "I Got Lucky". Sure, it's cheese on a stick, but it's more brie than Velveeta. I rate it very highly, just on account of the indelible melody and tasteful vocal.

"Where Do You Come From" is an interesting track. I can't say that I really like it, but it's a nice diversion and, as someone mentioned, the melody and style of it are kind of unique for Elvis.

And duh, "Return To Sender" is a classic. Show some respect, fellow Elvicionados. If a tune is this bouncy and memorable -- still sounding fresh after 56 years -- it's good.

19. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Apart from the Return To Sender/Where Do You Come From? single, there's a good novelty EP hiding in the Girls, Girls, Girls! soundtrack. I'm not so much a fan of the knock-off rock songs, but it's fun to hear Elvis sing a sea shanty, or a calypso-flavoured song with truly bizarre lyrics.

20. SKATTERBRANE

There is a generic, whimpy, boring sound on a few of the songs here, such as:
    I Don't Want To
    A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You
    Because Of Love

I think these 3 more than any of the others dilute the album as a whole. Plantation Rock and the Let's Be Friends version of Mama would have been a welcome substitution in place of these 3 songs (keeping the song count to the standard 12).

I quite like Song Of The Shrimp and I really like Where Do You Come From. Isn't it weird that they include Where Do You Come From, which was not used in the film (other soundtracks to come also include songs cut from the movies, sometimes labeled "bonus songs" and sometimes not.

I prefer the longer edit of Plantation Rock that came out on the Legendary Performer series rather than the version that is like the original acetate used on Double Features.

21. PacificOceanBlue

"Girls Girls Girls" is a pretty worthless soundtrack, with few redeeming tracks. With each passing film, it was alarming how quickly Elvis' soundtrack work was deteriorating. Aside from the title track, and the surprise hit "Return To Sender" (which a few of us cannot stand), "Where Do You Come From" is about all that I can think of that is worthy of spinning from this soundtrack. It was only 1962, just a year or two beyond the release of all the incredible 1960 and 1961 non-soundtrack work. The market was becoming saturated with second-rate recordings.

Iceman08, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Huh. It's interesting we disagree on this. I think Girls Girls Girls is a notably better soundtrack than GI Blues (which you seem to favor). For me, the main reason is because it's actually got some convincing uptempo/rock songs, something GI Blues does not. Besides Return to Sender (which I consider a great song) there's the title song and "I Don't Wanna Be Tied." Neither is a masterpiece, but both to me are decent rockers that fall into the "pretty good" middle ground and are far better than stuff like "GI Blues", "Shoppin' Around" or "Frankfort Special." And the other Otis song, "We're Comin' in Loaded" is musically another really solid hunk of R&B, despite having lyrics which are silly and expository in nature. As noted "Where Do You Come From" is a very nice ballad. I'm not saying this album is a masterpiece. There's songs that are unmitigated crap ("Earth Boy") not very good ("A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You") or just plain weird ("Song of the Shrimp"). But overall, the highs are higher on this soundtrack than many of the others, in my opinion.

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, Elvis recorded a pile of tracks for this film, for some reason. The film itself has 12 songs in it... the soundtrack album omits two of those, but then adds three songs that didn't make it into the film. And then there's "Plantation Rock" which appears neither in the film nor the original soundtrack album.

24. mark winstanley

Girls Girls Girls
    Written By :
    Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 26-29, 1962 : March 27, 1962. take 3
    "Girls, Girls, Girls", or "Girls! Girls! Girls!", is a song written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller.[2][3][4]

It was originally recorded by The Coasters, who released it as a single in August 1961.[5][2][6][7] The Coasters were also the original performers of another Elvis Presley recording, "Little Egypt".[5]

Elvis Presley recorded his version as part of the soundtrack for his 1962 motion picture Girls! Girls! Girls!.[8][9] Its first LP release was on the eponymous soundtrack album in November 1962. In selected countries, it was also released on an eponymous EP.

The song was written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller,[8] originally directly for The Coasters.[10] The band recorded it in the same recording session as "Little Egypt".[11]The song didn't do much for the band's popularity,[11] it reached number 96 on the Billboard Hot 100.[10]

Presley recorded it on Tuesday, March 27, 1962[5] during his March 26–28 soundtrack recordings for the Paramount movie Girls! Girls! Girls! at the Radio Recorders studio in Hollywood, California.[12]

In 1965 the song was covered by English band The Fourmost.[6]

The Coasters version
    7" single (Atco 6024, August 1961)
    • "Girls, Girls, Girls Part 1"
    • "Girls, Girls, Girls Part 2"
    Elvis Presley version
    7" EP (RCA Victor 3-20698, Spain, 1963)
    1. "Girls! Girls! Girls!"
    2. "Because Of Love"
    3. "We'll Be Together"
    4. "A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You"
    ---------------------------------------------
    Personally I love this song. This is a fun, uptempo little rocker and, well, "I'm just a red blooded boy (old man) and I (still) can't stop thinkin' about girls".
    This song also has a fantastic little sax lead break, I assume by Boots, and it's a nice extended one also.

Iceman08 likes this.
  25. mark winstanley

I Don't Wanna Be Tied
    Written By :
    Bernie Baum, Bill Giant & Florence Kaye

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 26-29, 1962 : March 28, 1962. take 8

This is another great little rocker. We see an obvious movie theme developing too. You can guess this guy is the happy bachelor who is going to get a girl that makes him change his ways :) This may not be Elvis' best song but it's nice for one of these album to kick off with two good uptempo numbers. This track has a great vocal with some nice use of power also. Another nice thing to hear during Elvis' years where he seemed more focused on crooning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.