What’s the highest selling album that was never issued on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoporJoe, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

One Way Records did reissue the Musical Youth recordings in a compilation, long OOP.

uzn007 likes this.
  2. BradOlson

Not in the Vee Jay incarnation but all of the tracks are on the Please Please Me and Early Beatles albums which are on CD.

3. BradOlson

The CD is a re-recording, the original Columbia album has not been reissued.

S. P. Honeybunch, altaeria and uzn007 like this.
  4. BradOlson

Lots of the massive selling country albums and even a lot of the massive selling Contemporary Christian albums of vintage times have never been issued on CD.

5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Y'all are trying to make me buy a copy of this, aren't you?

6. uzn007

Yeah, for older stuff, (as opposed to downloads), I was thinking that most of the possible candidates are going to be non-rock albums.

troggy likes this.
  7. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I was trying to come up with an example. So I walked over and started looking through my CDs.

I am not awake yet.

8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Having Fun With Elvis On Stage sold pretty well, yes?

JuanTCB likes this.
  9. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Did this ever come out on CD? Discogs doesn't have a listing. I'm guessing it didn't sell Sgt. Pepper numbers, but it's had 10 different issues, so I'd assume it didn't exactly sink without a trace.

Richie Havens - Richie Havens On Stage

10. uzn007

LOL. I'm not fully awake either, I guess, because it took me a minute to get it.

juno6000, MadMelMon and Pinknik like this.
  11. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

Rhino issued the debut as “Fairytales and Fantasies”, too (same cover art).

12. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

So they actually went back into a studio and re-recorded all those songs??? Did they at least add a tune about Sonic the Hedgehog?

uzn007 likes this.
  13. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I just had to look.
    According to Wikipedia:
    Album sales benefited from a rather significant wave of Beatles nostalgia that was taking place during the summer of 1976. Interest in the band was undoubtedly boosted by Paul McCartney's "Wings over America" tour, which criss-crossed the United States and Canada shortly after Rock 'n' Roll Music was released. In addition, sales were not hurt by the fact that the album included the song "Helter Skelter", of which a cover version had been spotlighted in a made-for-television movie on the 1969 Charles Manson murders that aired shortly before the album was released. Rock 'n' Roll Music hit number 2 on the Billboard 200 in the US (kept off the top spot by McCartney's Wings at the Speed of Sound), and number 11 on the UK's Top 60 Albums Chart.[2][6] It marked the second time a Beatles album competed with a Paul McCartney album over the top two positions on the Billboard chart. During the week ending June 6, 1970, the Beatles' album Let It Be jumped to the #2 position from its previous week's debut at #104, while McCartney's self-titled debut album McCartney held at #1 for a third straight week. The next week, Let It Be bumped up to #1, while McCartney slid to #2, where both albums remained positioned for four consecutive weeks.

uzn007 likes this.
  14. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I strongly suspect it's going to be a wide selling African album and therefore probably by François Luambo Makiadi, who was the biggest selling artist yet most of his albums were sold on vinyl and cassette and never issued on CD. However I don't know which of his 100 albums sold the most.

Not much help really:confused:

uzn007 likes this.
  15. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I don't believe so in an official capcity; this was the one that came to mind for me as well.

EddieMann likes this.
  16. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I don't think it was a huge seller, but of the original Chipmunks albums, only Doctor Dolittle has never been released on CD. All the rest came out at some point -- interestingly enough, selections of the albums were reissued on CD in 1990 and again in 2008, but never the whole set. Let's All Sing With The Chipmunks was a charting album, but it took almost 50 years to get a CD release -- and even then, it was a limited-edition store exclusive at Wal-Mart.

17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

"Stills"? I have the cd.
    Stephen Stills - Stills

EDIT: You mean "Still Stills".

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes still stills - it was a best of.

DTK likes this.
  19. BradOlson

Most of Mitch Miller's Sing Along With Mitch albums have never come out on CD although a few of them have and neither has the Mitch's Marches compilation ever come out on CD.

fluffskul likes this.
  20. BradOlson

Introducing The Beatles doesn't need a reissue since Please Please Me and also The Early Beatles Capitol album are on CD with these same songs.

21. BradOlson

Yes they did re-record the album and did not add any new material to it. This re-recorded album has been issued by K-Tel and also by Fuel 2000.

altaeria likes this.
  22. uzn007

True, but a lot of the suggestions here are compilations where some or all of the tracks have appeared on CDs, just not in that particular configuration (e.g. Rock & Roll Music, other than the remixes).

23. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

When I was first starting to get into the Beatles, my sister told me my brother-in-law had Introducing The Beatles on 8-track, in stereo. I had to hear this! I asked if it was "Version 1" or "Version 2." "It's both," she said. It turned out to be Please Please Me.

24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Looking at Wikipedia, Beatles Love Songs is 3x platinum. I would say that's the highest selling comp out there not released on CD in RIAA terms. Not RNR Music.
    The Beatles discography - Wikipedia

I thought I was going to be the winner when I thought of this but even this got a CD release.
    https://www.amazon.com/First-Family-Complete-Vaughn-Meader/dp/B000LXHK5O

I think someone earlier is right with this guess.
    https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/jfk-memorial-album-sets-record-for-sales

edrebber and uzn007 like this.
  25. uzn007

Thanks for doing the research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.