Queen without John Deacon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan MacIntosh, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan MacIntosh

Dan MacIntosh Active Member Thread Starter

Queen experts, is Queen really Queen without John Deacon? How important was his contribution to the band's catalogue, and is this upcoming reunion tour truly valid? I ask because I just don't know, and was just wondering.

Michael Rose likes this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Strong musician and extremely decent songwriter.

Definitely an important part of the original band and seemingly happily retired. No reason for me then, for the others to stop playing.

You don't fold the team when your flank forward hangs up his boots.

3. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

4. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

I'm no Queen expert (a huge fan, though) but, from what I understand, all band members contributed a lot to the band's catalogue. 'I Want To Break Free', 'Another One Bites The Dust', 'You're My Best Friend' and 'One Year Of Love' are by John Deacon. There may be more songs by him, but these are the ones I'm aware of.

As for the upcoming tour, I think it is valid, yes. Freddie and John are irreplaceable, but Brian and Roger have the right to continue playing, as they are Queen too. Also, Adam Lambert is doing a great job, IMHO.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

queen wasn't queen anymore when freddy mercury passed.

6. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

It is apparent that whatever MayLor want to call their outfit is what it's called, regardless of whether *WE* agree with it or not. In the same way The Two are using the name of The Who....... etc etc.

My take on it is that both bands are creating nothing new and are, therefore, extremely talented tribute bands. The likelihood of "Queen" creating anything worthwhile musically is incredibly remote "and MayLor simply rely on jazzy lighting, a catwalk and lots of boring solos to cover up the fact that the songs are so tired.

As much smoke and mirrors as is apparently present on the Big Screen and all at a premium price.

7. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I don't think the Who and Queen can be compared in this way. Townsend and Daltrey performing Who songs that Townsend wrote and Daltrey sang, sounds like The Who to me. Not to denigrate the contributions of their departed members, but it's not a "tribute band" until there is either a replacement singer or there is only the original singer left.

somnar, buddachile, Jmac1979 and 3 others like this.
  8. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he is still part of Queen, and nothing under Queen name could happen without his permission. I believe he also receives his financial share by all Queen activities. So he just doesn't bother to perform live, but his contribution as a songwriter and 1/4 of the original band is important and well served, IMO.

keyXVII, 2141, Jeff Kent and 12 others like this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Honestly, I don't regard the singer of a band as that important.

Many bands have replaced original or beloved vocalists and have carried on successfully enough.

The creative hub of the band, wherever that might be, is more important but truthfully nobody is irreplaceable.

10. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Said it before ill say it again Brian and Roger are 1/2 of Queen but 2/3 of Smile they have more right to trade as Smile than Queen

11. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I would agree but only in the contexts where the new singer has put out great new (or at least, new) music with the band. If a band is simply touring with a new singer, and not recording any new material, I believe it is more of a tribute band. Musicians may feel otherwise but I think general audiences connect with the vocalist of a band more than anything else.

Harrocks, Jmac1979, Cronverc and 3 others like this.
  12. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Queen that tour now is a legacy act. They don't as far as I know write or record any new material so if whoever is playing bass can make a reasonable attempt at replicating John Deacon's playing it's as good as your going to get.

13. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Easy answer = This isn't Queen, it's Queen+.

Longer answer:

John Deacon is just as vital to Queen as any of the other members. He was a strong songwriter, and an impeccable bassist. While he is retired from the music industry, it has been stated that little happens without his blessing on the overall project, not necessarily the details. Remember, he scuttled the first attempt at a touring resumption with one half-drunken comment to the press. (I still think he made a mistake there.)

All that said, while it would be great to see him on stage again, his playing, while great, isn't distinctive enough to cause his absence to be a detriment.

Now, would his songwriting have made a difference to The Cosmos Rocks? That is something to ponder.

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I can certainly see your point of view and a "classic" line-up will usually and rightly be the fans' favourites but I genuinely don't have an issue with the validity of a band carrying on after important members have left.

Anybody who is not interested can keep their money in their pockets and the rest of us can enjoy the show.

SJP, Pigalle, BeatleJWOL and 3 others like this.
  15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I certainly do agree.

Rog and Bry should start another project with new material. They certainly don’t need to worry about finances at this juncture, so why not have fun and flex the muscles?

16. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Nope!

17. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

What's this about?

pantofis likes this.
  18. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Deacon wrote my two favorite Queen songs. Obviously I see him as an essential component to the original band.

Queen + like Dead & Co continues the tradition with a disclaimer. It's fine.

2141, bpmd1962, adad and 3 others like this.
  19. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

In an imaginative top ten of songs he wrote at least four: You're my best friend - Another one bites the dust - Under Pressure - I want to break free.

So yeah... no Queen without him.

20. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Would the Led Zep reunion concert have been as great without John Paul Jones?

Rukiki likes this.
  21. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Back in 2001, after recording a new (actually two, the first attempt was rejected as being too different) version of We Are the Champions with Robbie Williams, for the A Knight's Tale film, plans were being made to do a full tour with him.

John declined to participate in the recording. At some party-type event, a reporter caught up with John and asked about his feelings regard Brian and Roger working with Williams. John summarily slagged off the recording as rubbish, and did the "*insert name here* is no Freddie Mercury," bit.

22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Deacon was definitely an important member of the original band, but probably the most easily replaceable, simply because he didn’t sing. Anyway, what’s parading around out there as Queen, isn’t Queen...it’s the American Idol Queen Special.

BZync, Galaga King and peachyg72 like this.
  23. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

He wrote my favourite Queen song, Back Chat (“never heard of it!”). I’d have been more interested in what Queen did after Freddie died if he’d remained in the band.

As it stands, what is currently Queen, isn’t what I think of as Queen. But Taylor and May are very shrewd at being able to keep the brand going.

Teufelzkerl likes this.
  24. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Did he write the main melody of Under Pressure? If he did then he deserves some kudos.

Terry likes this.
  25. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Wow, we're so lucky to have two threads on the topic of whether or not Brian May and Roger Taylor have the right to make a living, according to people who think they have the right to say what is or isn't Queen.

Since armed goons are not forcing anyone to go see them at gunpoint, I'm not sure what the problem is. Listen to your old records and let the rest of us enjoy ourselves.

Yeesh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.