Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

David S Ware Trio: Live in NY 2010

With William Parker on bass & Warren Smith on drums

Recorded live @ The Blue Note on October 4th, 2010

Both sets complete on 2 discs with the late, great saxophonist starting each set on the straight alto saxophone (or strich) and switching to his normal horn - the tenor saxophone for the last 26+ minutes of the first set & the last 17+ minutes for the second set. By this point at this show - one of his last shows - his last being in August 2011, Ware was playing spontaneously improvised music that may or may not capture some of his themes or variation of those thematic materials that appear on his recordings over his years.

On AUM Fidelity

bluemooze, jay.dee, eeglug and 2 others like this.
  2. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

How did you know Tim Hardin?

3. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

bluemooze, Walter H, Xelfo and 6 others like this.
  4. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Brad Mehldau - Highway Rider

Quite a lovely album.

[​IMG]

5. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

I have never noticed that sample before but now that you mention it I totally know where it appears in the song. Cool Easter egg!

I wouldn't rate "Apollo Kids" among Ghost's better discs but there are a few excellent tracks, especially the closer "Troublemakers."

The spiritual similarities between hip-hop and jazz are many so it's nice to know there are a few other fans lurking within these walls!

Moko, Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and dzhason like this.
  6. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Brad's masterpiece, in my opinion. Which is high praise coming from me.

xybert likes this.
  7. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

We eat fish, tossed salads and make rap ballads!
    I am a huge jazz fan and it's all thanks to the rap of my formative years. I still remember the first time in high school that my friends brother us played Ahmad Jamal "I love music" (from the awakening on impulse) to show the sample in it that comprised "The world is yours" by Nas. Seems like there isn't quite the jazz sampling culture in hip hop now since there's other ways to make beats. I still am always spotting samples from my youth as I hear more jazz. Basically every bob James song is from something.

(Like "nautilus" in Daytona 500)

xybert, Kevin Davis, Moebius and 4 others like this.
  8. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

....I was listening to Digable Planets Blowout Comb on the ride into work this morning. They used all kinds of Jazz samples and live playing on their albums along with lyrical shout outs to the greats.
    I grew up with early 90’s hip hop such as A Tribe Called Quest, which was all about the jazz. Love it still.

bluemooze, Erik B., Marzz and 5 others like this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

He's one of THE most influential pianists in 20th century American music -- everyone bears his stamp from Ray Charles to Bill Evans to Red Garland, pretty much every pianist of the '40s and '50s. Like I said before, he's kind of the bridge between Earl Hines and then Art Tatum on the one side and Bud Powell and Bill Evans on the other. And Oscar Moore on guitar had almost as big an impact on guitarists. But you'll have to take all of Nat just the way he was. There's probably three vocal sides for every instrumental side in the trio's canon.

Starwanderer, Crispy Rob and Mugrug12 like this.
  10. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Anyone recall the Stolen Moments: Red Hot + Cool release on Impulse years ago? There was a 2CD version that featured Branford Marsalis' take on A Love Supreme if my memory serves me well. Some of the jazz/hip hop tracks were quite good to my ear.
    [​IMG]

11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That's a great one. The Capitol album from Cole's height as a pop star that harkens back to the trio. Even billed as "and his trio" even though there's drums and bongos and star guest horn and violin soloists. Great sound too.

12. Mugrug12

That there be the rub. Thanks for
    All the recs, I think streaming might be better than physical for me then. I don't know why but I can't connect to the pop music side of jazz from this era. The singing and strings don't connect
    With me. But I'm tired of not knowing his playing which everyone says I
    Must hear. Thx!

13. Mugrug12

Blowout comb is a great one. I always loved the drums on "9th wonder". Maybe an Idress Mohamed sample?

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Give 'em a spin. They're great records.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  15. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

The drum sample is from “Soul Pride” by James Brown, 1969, so I’d guess that’s the Funky Drummer himself, Clyde Stubblefield.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  16. Mugrug12

Nice one thanks! I love this thread...

17. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Oui, c'est moi. Et je m'ennuie de Jacques K.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I met him after a show in 1970 when he was going through a tough time and he really appreciated it. He chased me down on the street the next day to talk to me, and wanted to exchange information. He said he liked my hat, wanted one like it, and wore one just like it on his next album (Bird On The Wire). He taught me that geniuses were people with the same concerns as everyone else. I felt, even at that time, that he was a terribly lonely man.

frightwigwam likes this.
  19. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Now playing dinner making music. Specifically, mise en place music:

[​IMG]

(Look at Art's possee... Wow.)

Art Tatum, The Best of the Pablo Group Masterpieces (recorded 1954-1956; released 2003).

20. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

Mmm love those Tatum recordings.

Been a while since I listened to this (Big Fun has been my go to electric Miles for a bit) - Bitches Brew

[​IMG]

21. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

The Prestige All Stars- All Night Long (AP)
    [​IMG]
    Good no nonsense blowing session.

22. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Wayne Shorter- Alegria (Verve)
    [​IMG]

23. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I have been on kind of on a Charlie Hunter kick of late...

This 3LP EVERY BABOON IS GETTING AHEAD UNTIL THEY GET PUNCHED IN THE MOUTH BUNDLE [VINYL] was just the thing!

[​IMG]

A tremendous talent, all three albums, playing in one room together, cut right to tape.

24. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

25. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I'm having a bit of a tension filled week so Jimmy Smith's Cool Blues is helping me out at the moment...

[​IMG]