Joe Bonamassa

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan MacIntosh, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogn Valdr

Rogn Valdr Forum Resident

I have all his albums. I love his studio work more than his live performances, which, as someone once told me, is not a good sign for a blues musician. That's just in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I just enjoy his music.

carlwm likes this.
  2. sbayle

sbayle Forum Resident

Agree that he’s a great player but not much to say as a song writer. Saw him when he was just a kid on a TV special about someone else. I was blown away by his chops. Have several of his albums. He’d benefit by joining up with a great singer/songwriter. He could be Jimmy Page to a Robert Plant or something like that.

3. ism

ism Forum Resident

Yes, I think that he is also misinterpreting "the blues" (though so do agree with much of what he said, which is why, for instance, I can't do SRV). I would think Bonamassa plays blues rock. Bottom line: I see what you're saying and agree that I want gritty blues too, but Bonamassa can still hit the spot and play tasty.

carlwm likes this.
  4. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Technically he is excellent. He also is, very much, aware of the UK blues boom of the late 60s, and also some bluesy prog too, i.e A New Day Yesterday by Jethro Tull, Starship Trooper by Yes, and Had to Cry Today by Blind Faith.

His current studio albums, though, i.e Blues For Desperation and Redemption, show an artist that is slowly developing into his own persona, and not a Clapton, Page, Beck, Barre copyist, and I am more than happy that he's becoming his own man.

I also like that he diversifies from the blues, i.e playing funky soul with Mahalia Barnes, jazz-rock instrumentals with Rock Candy Funk Party, and the amazing duets with Beth Hart.

All in all: good luck to Joe, and I hope he continues to release albums.

5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I've never fully investigated him. What little I've heard just isn't my thing as it relates to the blues.

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah. I mean, I guess that's what Black Country Communion is, but I'm just not a fan of Glenn Hughes' voice, unfortunately. But his solo career is successful enough financially that he doesn't really need to do a collaboration and share the spotlight (or revenue) from it, even though I completely agree he'd be better off if he found his Robert Plant (or even David Coverdale).

7. Marc Daniel

Marc Daniel Forum Resident

Hello to all. I've been a reader of this site for years. This is the first thread that actually got me to register. Every time I take my daughter in to her music school one of his videos is on the tv.

I have seen him a few times. Is it just me or does anyone else think he is just a complete Gary Moore rip off. Hey don't get me wrong. I am happy when anyone can make a living playing the blues.

Man I miss Gary Moore, SRV, Jimi.................................................................

8. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Yeah, he is a good player no question... Hate is singing... Way better when he has a good singer like Beth Heart... His songs are just blah to me nothing really appealing at all... He lacks authenticity if you ask me... A bit too contrived... the whole on stage persona and such.. Ever watch the documentary about him? You should can't remember what its called I think its on YouTube.. His dad was a guitar shop owner and had connections in the music business... He played in a band called Bloodline back in his younger days really good band! Great songs and playing... I appreciate his knowledge of music and vintage instruments and his willingness to play that stuff on the road and not on someones wall... He is a tone freak which is cool... Just wish he was more REAL if you know what I mean?

carlwm likes this.
  9. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

The Eric Johnson comparison is bang on.

unclefred likes this.
  10. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Pros: JB has exceptional time, well articulated phrasing and dynamics. A technical player with some soul.

Cons: Vocals are adequate but not a draw on it's own merits. Relies a lot on covers and has not yet composed music worthy of much note.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  11. Sounds like a good bar band. :tiphat:

carlwm likes this.
  12. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Great guitar player.
    Doesn't have the tunes.
    Born in the wrong era.

13. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, how would you rate something like White Stripes' "Ball & Biscuit"

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  14. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

It's a stone-cold classic.

DJ LX likes this.
  15. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Better live than on record.

16. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Don’t artists have to price up to the market? Otherwise, that money’s just going into the pockets of the scalpers. The price of a front row ticket on the secondary market is determined more by the demand than the original price, isn’t it? If a 1st row ticket for Joe goes for $200 on the secondary market, then why should Joe allow the scalpers to have an additional $20 by charging $60 instead of $80?

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think his new album is pretty good.

carlwm likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You missed on this one Mazzy.:sigh:

Mazzy likes this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is a twisted mess. Why is there such a big secondary market? Because Ticketmaster has side-deals with ticket brokers where Tickemaster sells large blocks of tickets to the ticket brokers, and gets a piece of it. The artists share in this quagmire because they have high guarantees and those guarantees have to be funded by the promoters and sponsors, so both promoters and artists are driving up the costs. But make no mistake, the secondary market is largely controlled by Ticketmaster (and Live Nation). There were reports this week that the Justice Department is investigating Ticketmaster and their role in the secondary market.

Guy Smiley, carlwm, clhboa and 3 others like this.
  20. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

He does "Tea For One" better than Zeppelin. Yeah, I said it.

21. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

All the above. Plus it doesn’t help that he looks like my accountant

22. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I think these three are excellent.......

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

and he missed on this one...........IMHO

[​IMG]

23. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Joe is good, but for this style of music I prefer his southern contemporary Doyle Bramhall II. He sounds more authentic and convincing in the soul/blues genre. He's the full package of vocalist/guitarist/songwriter without any guitar hero comparison baggage, which he doesn't need.

24. Yeah he is all very technically great. Just no soul. It’s just A personal taste issue.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  25. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I like both, but I definitely listen to Doyle far more than Joe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.