Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Hard Rain
    Much discussed here

quicksrt likes this.
  2. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

The Early Mix of Get On The Right Thing is great too. The drums, bass and piano rock way more than in the final mix! There's some additional guitar feedback and most of the harmonies are already in place. Though some of them might have been re-recorded. Paul redid the vocal during the RRS sessions too.

Wingsfan2012, theMess, Tord and 9 others like this.
  3. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

[​IMG]

4. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

And Wonderful Christmastime on BTTE
    Finally, Wonderful Christmastime is now in McCartney II Archive set, and Goodnight Tonight most definitely on BTTE's one
    But big interrogation point on Rudolph The Red Nosed Reggae, which is neither on McCartney II, or Venus and Mars (it was recorded during this period)
    The only known "reissue" of that track is that YouTube video released at 2014 Christmastime

Mr. Explorer and Victor46542 like this.
  5. Victor46542

Maybe it will be on BTTE

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    Wingsfan2012 and FKA002 like this.
  6. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I'd imagine it'll end up on Back To The Egg, with Wonderful Christmastime.

7. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

Thank you. More photos with details of tracks would be very welcome!

8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Congratulations
    Finally folks here can understand why I (bragging aside) constantly mention the August 72 Wings gig I attended. That gig was such a true revelation and now it s finally available for the chosen few who picked the BIG one
    :)

9. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

That's the only way
    Or on that rumored Wings Anthology compilation

Wingsfan2012 and tug_of_war like this.
  10. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

What are the notes on the "Outtakes"?

planckera likes this.
  11. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

The studio version of The Mess seems to be slightly more realized than the Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 1 version.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  12. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

So why didn't they do it then? :shrug:

13. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Thank You Darling is an original Glyn Johns mix. Crazy to think that a guy working on cutting edge records of the era by The Who and Zeppelin had to sit through recording a song like this.

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

How fuhing good ain t the Berlin live 1882. The guitars, the vocals, the harmonies, the sound
    Wow
    That song is rather unique in Paul’s legacy and what a recording finally in great sound
    Stunning

Mr. Explorer and Yorick like this.
  15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Well didn t he walk out of the session
    :)

Mr. Explorer and Yorick like this.
  16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Right, the bootlegs of the Glasgow stuff had much better sound than the boots we had of 71 to 73 and look what they did to them!

17. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

I completely agree! It was recorded my Alan Parsons and mixed by Bill Price at Air Studios in December 1972.
    The studio version is great as well. It's fully realized. It lacks the energy of the live version, just like The Mess studio version does. But it's great to have!!!

theMess, Tord, cmi and 1 other person like this.
  18. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

To you lucky people who have received and now are enjoying these sets: I do not envy you at all!

I ordered from universal-music.de,
    and they tell me now that the big box will be released on December 14th!

:(

19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Can't find the Back to the Egg speculation thread. Slackers. It's time.

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

1882 were one of the songs that blew me away when I saw Wings live and could not believe it never got released. Still don t since stuff like this dark murder ballad would have gone a long way to save Paul’s reputation as a soft pop crooner. As these new sets prove he was far more than that. And the first Wings were a great combo

Mr. Explorer, theMess, csnfan and 2 others like this.
  21. Victor46542

22. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Bruce McMouse’s starts with some Thrillington audio, which would have seen it’s first release.
    Then we see Paul and band in the dressing room, with Paul announcing their show.
    A Dutch introduction similar to The Mess (live) announces the band. The first song is the studio version of Big Barn Bed, with the band miming to it. Seemingly without an audience. Then the cartoon starts, followed by a real live version of Eat At Home. Great! then some more cartoon animation and then a live version of Bip Bop.
    Then a great live version of The Meds different to the single version. Most of the live footage seems to be from a film studio with audience nouse dubbed in, but here and there there’s some real live footage as in The Mess. Paul’s song announcements are silly, since he’s doing them in an obviously empty studio. The live footage of Wild Life is the video seen in the Paul McCartney VHS from 1986.
    There’s some footage of Paul and Linda riding their horses and herding their sheep in Schotland. A live version of Mary Had A Little Lamb is up next, followed up by Blue Moon of Kentucky. No animation to be seen since Eat At Home, but there’s some during and after Blue Moon again. The next number is a live version of I Am Your Singer. So many great live versions here! Wonder if they overlap with the Wings Over Europe cd! Interesting to see I Am Your Singer is more of a duet with Denny live. Next up is a scene of the band interacting with animation characters, followed by Seaside Woman. Sounds like they mimed to the studio version.

23. Victor46542

Mumbo in rough Mix start with a fade In

24. adiba

adiba Forum Resident

Thanks!

Interesting the text about the mono mix of The Great Cook And Seagull Race, specially considering that the mix they played on WCBS radio was in STEREO!

tug_of_war, Calico and cmi like this.
  25. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

So my missus told me that Hermes delivered the 71-73 beast. And left it by the bin outside my house in the pouring rain. It’s going to be a long afternoon at work fretting...

Mr. Explorer, dormouse and cmi like this.